Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
ISO non jewish challah recipe :-)

spinkles

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 4:35 pm
Anyone have a good recipe for a really rich, but not sweet, challah? My dh loves what non jewish cookbooks call "challah," which is a really eggy (sometimes yellowish) bread with lots of fat. I made a couple of versions (subbing oil for butter etc.) and I thought they were awful, but dh keeps asking if I'll try again. So...anyone? Thanks!

su7kids

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 5:12 pm
in south africa, for years, we were buying challah from a store, and they said it was a "german bread" recipe, and when the rabbis came to town, (the really frum ones) they found out they were making it with MILK.

Maybe that's what he's talking about, rich dairy instead of parev water.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 5:45 pm
italian bread, too.

spinkles

Post Thu, Jan 03 2008, 6:10 pm
Quote:
they found out they were making it with MILK.

Oysh. Did people have to kasher all their fleishige keilim?

Yes, the non jewish recipes I've seen have butter and milk...just wondering if anyone has had success with a pareve version. Maybe it just wouldn't be the same. I use soymilk in my breads since it makes whole grain breads softer and more subtly flavored. Maybe I'll try a non jewish challah recipe with soymilk instead, although I'm nervous to because soy has a distinctive flavor. You don't notice it with whole grains, but with only white flour I think you might.

AGINY

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 11:33 am
I think you may be looking for a brioche recipe, which has milk and butter. Try googling brioshce recipes and then you can try substituting rice dream for the milk (or perhaps pareve whip if you want it very rich). Not sure how it will work but it might be fun to try!

madys

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 11:35 am
If your in NY, try Zomicks - their challah is really sweet, and very yellow - it's almost like cake

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 11:37 am
don't know why it would be called "goyische" ...

yup in new york they are eggy and soft ... unlike cleveland ...

momof2and2

Post Tue, Jan 08 2008, 11:03 am
Here is a grteat and easy recipe for you:
Challah:
1 Cup lukewarm Water
1 tsp (or so) sugar
2 tbsp + 1 tsp yeast

Dissolve the sugar in the water and put in the yeast. Let it activate 10 min. or so until it bubbles.

8 Cups flour
Place in large bowl and make a well.

1 Cup sugar
1 Tbsp Salt
3 eggs
½ Cup Oil
1 ¼ Cup Lukewarm Water (Approx)

Mix ingredients and add the yeast to this mixture. Pour into flour well. Knead for 10 to 20 minutes. Let rise. Punch down, split it up, braid. Let rise again. Egg wash (add yummy topping too, see below). Bake at 350 for 25 min or so depending on size of challahs. I would split this recipe and freeze half the dough for the next week. (But that is just me.)

A yummy topping: (can double this recipe and put in container in freezer for multiple uses)

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
½ cup margarine
¼ cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together until crumbly. Sprinkle on top after you egg challahs BEFORE you bake!! Y-U-M-M-Y!!!!!!!!!

I got this from a newspaper in Canada. I have altered it a bit... and the results are GREAT!! Good luck.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 08 2008, 12:12 pm
that sounds more like a babke ...

momof2and2

Post Tue, Jan 08 2008, 12:17 pm
Nope, it's a challah. The sweet topping is optional. Can brush with egg and use sesame seeds or poppy seeds. The sweet topping is great for R"H. Smile

ss321

Post Tue, Jan 08 2008, 1:21 pm
[quote="madys"]If your in NY, try Zomicks - their challah is really sweet, and very yellow - it's almost like cake[/quote]

does a/o know of a "recipe" that has a consistency similar to Zomicks?? We buy their challah every wk b/c I LOVE the egginess/sweetness...but I enjoy making challah when I have the time...
any ideas?

rachel19977

Post Sun, Jan 20 2008, 1:21 pm
ss321 wrote:
madys wrote:
If your in NY, try Zomicks - their challah is really sweet, and very yellow - it's almost like cake

does a/o know of a "recipe" that has a consistency similar to Zomicks?? We buy their challah every wk b/c I LOVE the egginess/sweetness...but I enjoy making challah when I have the time...
any ideas?

You can try adding more eggs and egg yolks to a sweet challa recipe and sugar, see what happens!

shanie5

Post Sun, Jan 20 2008, 1:34 pm
soymilk works well with regular flour. I use it all the time in my bread machine.

the challah recipe I use is adapted from the bread machine cookbook. the recipe was called "egg bread". if u want me to post it, let me know.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 20 2008, 3:15 pm
rachel19977 wrote:
ss321 wrote:
madys wrote:

any ideas?

You can try adding more eggs and egg yolks to a sweet challa recipe and sugar, see what happens!

it makes it MAD heavy.

penina

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 9:41 pm
If you sub melted paerve margerine for oil you'll get a much richer effect. Also, when you're working in flour, do it slowly and don't add too much as to make it dry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads