Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Free-form round challah?
1  2  Next

MiriFr

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:17 pm
Due to unforeseen circumstances (A.K.A the supermarket not having the round pans in the diameter that I want), I am going to attempt to free-form it, baby.
Any tips?

angelgirl

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:32 pm
I always do a giant knot. Looks very neat.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:43 pm
angelgirl wrote:
I always do a giant knot. Looks very neat.
This.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:46 pm
That sounds so easy. One strand, and you just knot it? That's the whole thing?

mochamix18

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:50 pm
I do a four strand round braid. It’s like weaving a basket. I think joy of kosher has a video

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:56 pm
There’s a tic tac toe challah braid that works nicely free form.

angelgirl

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:05 pm
MiriFr wrote:
That sounds so easy. One strand, and you just knot it? That's the whole thing?

Yup- don’t roll it too long and then tuck the ends underneath

MiriFr

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:12 pm
angelgirl wrote:
Yup- don’t roll it too long and then tuck the ends underneath

K gonna do this thanks!
I found a youtube vid of a 4 strander. Gonna do some and some.

mochamix18

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 12:45 am
1091 wrote:
There’s a tic tac toe challah braid that works nicely free form.

That’s what I was trying to describe above 😂 I couldn’t think of a good way to explain it but a tic tac toe board is a perfect description

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 2:21 am
I just roll it up like a snail. It's the only thing IME that comes out ROUND round without a round pan, plus it's super easy. The thing is that you want to roll it downward a little rather than a flat disc, which is not coming out as clearly in words as it would in demo. Imagine starting in the middle, and then as you roll outward you're going a little under the part you did already so that the center comes out raised up a little.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 3:24 am
Aseeker, I think what you're saying is that you want it to look like a spiraling tower/mountain when you are finished shaping it.

I've tried that but it flattens out as it rises and bakes. So if I don't have enough round pans, I use some heavy-duty foil paper to keep the shape. Not the healthiest choice, though.

Confession: I am buying challah and honey cake this year. I have to work on erev Rosh Hashanah, and my valiant attempts to cook ahead of time have been partly spoiled by people already eating what I have cooked. It will be hard enough getting everything done even without baking.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:39 am
I never use round pans. I don't actually like the way they look made in those pans, and how the crust comes out, plus it is so wasteful of foil pans! I do have some real round pans but it never occured to me to use them. I just make giant snails.

when you said free form I envisioned just taking a large handful of dough and plopping it on baking tray. Something my husband has done.

cholentfan1

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:41 am
seeker wrote:
I just roll it up like a snail. It's the only thing IME that comes out ROUND round without a round pan, plus it's super easy. The thing is that you want to roll it downward a little rather than a flat disc, which is not coming out as clearly in words as it would in demo. Imagine starting in the middle, and then as you roll outward you're going a little under the part you did already so that the center comes out raised up a little.

How do you do it that it doesn't turn into a mountain? Whenever I've tried it, it just rises straight up and looks like a tiny mountain. The shops seem to make them very wide, which I can't seem to get mine to do.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:44 am
I didn't know people used round. Just made them freely

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:46 am
cholentfan1 wrote:
How do you do it that it doesn't turn into a mountain? Whenever I've tried it, it just rises straight up and looks like a tiny mountain. The shops seem to make them very wide, which I can't seem to get mine to do.

Why is that an issue? I don't care what shop challah looks like. It tastes good and looks fine.

The braided round challah also looks nice but takes a bit more time. The one where you start with a tic tac toe shape.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:47 am
Raisin wrote:
I never use round pans. I don't actually like the way they look made in those pans, and how the crust comes out, plus it is so wasteful of foil pans! I do have some real round pans but it never occured to me to use them. I just make giant snails.

when you said free form I envisioned just taking a large handful of dough and plopping it on baking tray. Something my husband has done.

I use round pans that are not foil pans. I have regular (stainless steel?) round cake pans that I use for challah. I have regular square cake pans that I use for rolls. I use these pans for cakes as well.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:50 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I use round pans that are not foil pans. I have regular (stainless steel?) round cake pans that I use for challah. I have regular square cake pans that I use for rolls. I use these pans for cakes as well.

yup, as I said I like the way they come out free form so I never use pans. Specifically I like the shiny crust. But it really irks me when I see how wasteful people are of foil pans. I do use them because I cook so much so its hard to avoid. I make kugels and cakes and rice and so on and freeze them in the pans.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 6:29 am
As we say here "I'm not a caterer" Smile

MiriFr

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 6:55 am
K so I made half braided and half knotted. They came out so pretty and perfectly round!

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 8:35 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

Some people need dozens of challahs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads