Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Kosher alternative to pole dancing for exercise?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:54 pm
I don't even want to say the words "pole dancing" out loud, but as a workout routine, it burns a lot of calories and works out all of the muscle groups. Is there anything comparable but kosher?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:48 pm
If you do pole dancing in an all female class, and not for zexy purposes, it would be fine.

If you're really uncomfortable with it, you can get trapeze classes. They are becoming extremely popular lately. The type where you work with a length of silk instead of the standard trapeze swing is excellent for all muscle groups, as well as having a lot more variation of movement. If you combined that with yoga you could have the perfect workout.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 4:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't even want to say the words "pole dancing" out loud, but as a workout routine, it burns a lot of calories and works out all of the muscle groups. Is there anything comparable but kosher?

NO!

There are zillions of exercises that burn lots of calories and works all muscle groups - zumba, running, cross country skiing, tabata hiit, etc

Kadeish atzmecha b'mutar lach.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:36 pm
Um

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:39 pm
The functional trainer machine moves every part of your body. It's hard work.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 9:29 pm
hate to be naive....but what is pole dancing? and why is it bad?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 9:56 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

Lol. Let’s leave it as that.

OP is this a joke??

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 10:02 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
NO!

There are zillions of exercises that burn lots of calories and works all muscle groups - zumba, running, cross country skiing, tabata hiit, etc

Kadeish atzmecha b'mutar lach.

Zumba makes your list?

amother
White

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 2:20 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

The short is: Is dancing around a pole. 99 percent of the times this is done it's a se-ual dance, involving stripping the clothing, and more done in clubs. I don't think I need to add more details. It's a very "slutty" thing to do, done generally in front of a crowd. It's a performance.

So although I guess it doesn't have to be se-ual. It has a very se-ual connotation, and associations amongst the majority of the population.

DrMom

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 2:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to find something other than *pole dancing* that gives you a good workout.

Crossfit
Ballet
Zumba
Swimming
Running + weights
Trampoline classes
Kickboxing

You could rotate several different sports into your weekly routine. Join a gym and take a class or two and see what you like, or look for videos on youtube to try thins out in your living room.

Rappel

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 3:11 am
Parkour!

If you want something more elegant, then FF is right: trapeze is great fun, and really makes you work!

Last edited by Rappel on Fri, Sep 27 2019, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 3:30 am
Beginners pole classes are distinctly uns*xy.
You’ll be slithering down the pole in a heap and not gracefully spinning around it.
Once you have the upper body instructors can teach you to make it s*xy.
In fact where I learnt they keep it as separate classes- one for exercise and an advanced class with heels and all.

FF great idea! Trapeze and aerial hoops/silks...
But it sounds like you want to do pole, so do it!!
As long as you don’t get a job in a club... DH will enjoy.

amother
White

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 3:48 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

As long as you don’t get a job in a club... DH will enjoy.

That's true. If you learn it privately in an uns-xy way and your DH is okay and supportive of it - he may be quite interested in you to make it s-xy it home. Smile

But again - it just has a bad connotation with it. There's nothing that inherently makes pole dancing s-xie than twerking or other s-xy dancing. It's how you do it.

If you want to do it, talk to DH, find somewhere private, safe and that won't make it s-xy. I wouldn't tell anyone else, have it something you do for yourself and your own fitness and for DH.

DrMom

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 4:15 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
That's true. If you learn it privately in an uns-xy way and your DH is okay and supportive of it - he may be quite interested in you to make it s-xy it home. Smile

But again - it just has a bad connotation with it. There's nothing that inherently makes pole dancing s-xie than twerking or other s-xy dancing. It's how you do it.

If you want to do it, talk to DH, find somewhere private, safe and that won't make it s-xy. I wouldn't tell anyone else, have it something you do for yourself and your own fitness and for DH.

Just curious how this would work, practically. Would you install a metal pole in your home?

Seems pretty difficult to conceal this from other family members.

"Hey Ima, Abba, why did you install a shiny metal floor-to-ceiling pole in your bedroom?"

Iymnok

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 4:31 am
Aerial acrobats also use such a range of muscle groups. But I understand the stability of a pole. I’d prefer trapeze or synchronized swimming.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:21 am
I didn't know it was a thing. It looks hard but yes I'd fear people associate it with evil things.

amother
White

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 7:19 am
DrMom wrote:
Just curious how this would work, practically. Would you install a metal pole in your home?

"Hey Ima, Abba, why did you install a shiny metal floor-to-ceiling pole in your bedroom?"

Not sure either. Perhaps there's something less permanent you can take down and put back up. I've never tried to pole dance before.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 8:14 am
Aerial silks

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 8:52 am
Insert eye-rolling emoji.
OP you can't be for real. I won't verbalize my suspicions here because I'd like to remain a member in good standing.
Somehow, long before that form of entertainment was invented, people managed to exercise and exercise well. DrMom and others gave you some excellent ideas. I cannot believe that you were unaware of the possibilities. It just seems highly unlikely to me that anyone, frum woman or not, would honestly think that there are no other equally beneficial forms of exercise. Just as an example, you don't need a pole to slide your rear end up and down, kwim? It's called a 'squat" and you can do it freestanding or with your back against a wall.

if my suspicions are unjust and you live in a converted firehouse and just trying to make use of the annoying brass pole in the middle of your living room, might I suggest taking lessons from the boom-box toting young men who dance on the NYC subways? Their antics are not risque, unless I'm too ignorant to see the lewdness, but incredibly athletic.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 8:57 am
DrMom wrote:

Yasssss this response had me laughing!
Also, the child who asks already knows...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise