Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Watching a toddler during shul

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 12:30 pm
I'm going out of town this shabbos without my family, my husband is trying to figure out what to do about my toddler during shul. The other kids have what to do, but looking for a girl to watch my toddler during davening. Someone asked "how much $$?" didn't know what to say. We live out of town. I think it could be a 10-11 year old girl who can just play with him and give him his snacks and bottle. Like a mother's helper. When I was a mother's helper back in the day I made $5 per hour. No idea what kids expect these days.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 12:34 pm
Do you have any neighbors that would do it for you gladly? Sometimes it's a help for them if they have a kid that age, they would just entertain each other under adult supervision.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 1:23 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Do you have any neighbors that would do it for you gladly? Sometimes it's a help for them if they have a kid that age, they would just entertain each other under adult supervision.

I don't have any immediate frum neighbors. There are a few families that live near the shul in question, but so far the one I was asking asked how much I was paying.

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 1:30 pm
The person watching your toddler is not a mother's helper because mommy isn't there. She's a babysitter. She needs to mind him making sure he doesn't run into traffic or pull a hot pot over. It looks like the correct price is what babysitters get. DD will watch kids during chassunahs which is a similar situation. She gets $10 an hour.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 1:40 pm
Squishy wrote:
The person watching your toddler is not a mother's helper because mommy isn't there. She's a babysitter. She needs to mind him making sure he doesn't run into traffic or pull a hot pot over. It looks like the correct price is what babysitters get. DD will watch kids during chassunahs which is a similar situation. She gets $10 an hour.

I'm looking for someone who can watch him at shul, my husband will be there.

camp123

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 1:45 pm
What is your toddler going to do in shul????
Surely it's better for your husband to stay home and daven rather than bring a toddler to shul who may disturb other people?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 1:52 pm
camp123 wrote:
What is your toddler going to do in shul????
Surely it's better for your husband to stay home and daven rather than bring a toddler to shul who may disturb other people?

There's a playground there. There's no rain in the forecast.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 1:56 pm
ask the rebbetzin to recommend someone and what is the going rate for this

hatzlocha

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 2:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Your husband will not be watching him. It's really not like an assistant position. Maybe you can get a pre- teen who will take less. But you need someone responsible watching your son. I wish you luck with this.

flower2

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 2:33 pm
Why doesn't ur husband stay home w kids and just ask a neighbor to watch the toddler for 30min for him to hear kriyas hatorah?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You are presumably looking for a girl, so she will not be in the men's section of shul where your husband is.

I have an 11 year old, and I don't let her babysit on her own yet. I would consider the situation you present to be too much responsibility for a child of that age.

You are looking for a teen, not for a 10-11 year old.

The person who is asking you what you would pay - why don't you ask them what they expect for the job? That might give you an idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics