Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Cup of Soup/ tea on Shabbos

Mevater

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 8:49 pm
1- Is there a halachically permissible way to add hot water on Shabbos to those cup of soups people eat? If it is OK, Is it OK if it's done from a Kli Sheni (percolator to glass, to cup of soup)?

2- Since I've stopped using styrofoam, how do I make tea for a few peope at a time, who want their tea not boiling? I s there a way to mix boiling water with cold water, for a few cups of water at a time? If the cup you're pouring the original boiling water into, has to be perfectly dry, so as not to boil cool water, does this mean I've got to start with 10 totally dry cups , if I desire to make 10 such teas (cooler than boiling)? Is there an easy way?

I will ask my Rov, but wanted to know what's widely done. TIA

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 9:14 pm
From what we learned, if the coffee or tea is already made in the cup and the sugar etc is dissolved, you can add water to make it hotter.

Being that soup, though, is not just liquid, you should ask the rov.

tovasmom

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 9:33 pm
I believe the cups of soup (like the tradition) is actually bishul, so it would not be permissible on Shabbat.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 10:02 pm
Different communities hold differently. You must ask your rav.
If you want advice here- you should probably specify your community.

(personally I am lubavitch, I make tea with a kli shlishi, with a teabag, but I have no idea about a cup of soup)

Please those who don't ever use teabags- I know people hold this way, no need to argue about it...

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 10:23 pm
The soup I think would be a prob. of bishul and you can't do it.

The tea I would think can be done, however, why not just make it while people are eating, so it's ready for dessert and has cooled down?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 11:47 pm
1. why should there be a problem if its poured from a kli sheini? Is there any uncooked foods in those cup? I dont think so, so you're not really cooking it if its already cooked.

2. How about pouring the hot water into a large dry pitcher and then adding cold water to it, and then pour it into individual cups?

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Jan 05 2008, 11:59 pm
As far as is apparent to me, the noodles in the cups of soup are not cooked, and neither some of the other ingredients. They are simply thin or fine enough that they cook in a cup of hot water. There is also an issue of "kalei habishul;" for certain substances, so that even in a kli shlishi bishul could still apply for items of that sort.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 06 2008, 12:11 am
why don't you just make tea essence so it's not too hot?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions