Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Criminal Prices
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:58 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I dont think you can compare today's clothing prices to the prices of say, the late 80's when I was a teenager. Much of the clothing was made in the USA and lasted for years.

But that is my point - I would imagine that a $160 dress would be made with higher quality than the cheap garbage that is sold now as throwaway stuff.

There is no comparison between a cheap dress from Target for example and a more costly dress - wherever it is made. The fabric and the finish are nicer and it is not intended to be thrown away in less than a season.

I have no idea what the $160 dress under discussion is but in my experience and opinion it's not a "criminal" or exceptionally expensive dress and a dress at that price point in my experience would be objectively higher quality than a $50 dress.

Obviously whether one can afford an item depends on one's income and assets. But most people would consider it to be a relatively middle of the road price point.

marina

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:13 pm
lol I have a separate closet for dresses and suits. Maybe altogether they’re 160$... why would you spend that much on one item ??

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:19 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
But that is my point - I would imagine that a $160 dress would be made with higher quality than the cheap garbage that is sold now as throwaway stuff.

There is no comparison between a cheap dress from Target for example and a more costly dress - wherever it is made. The fabric and the finish are nicer and it is not intended to be thrown away in less than a season.

I have no idea what the $160 dress under discussion is but in my experience and opinion it's not a "criminal" or exceptionally expensive dress and a dress at that price point in my experience would be objectively higher quality than a $50 dress.

Obviously whether one can afford an item depends on one's income and assets. But most people would consider it to be a relatively middle of the road price point.

Most people? Middle of the road?
Sorry...
I completely disagree.
Maybe "most people from 'in-town' places who value certain looks and trends."

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:44 pm
I thought this thread would be about headband and tights.

Omg. Talk about criminal prices. $12 + per pair for warm school pairs.
They were sold out of all ladies black opaque in sizes medium and large, except for one brand that was 16 dollars per pair.
I took velvet bows for my daughters assuming they would be mildly over priced, at about 7 to 8 dollars. Noooope. $15.99.
And stockings with enough denier coverage. And shells.

Its a fortune.
There must be a better way.

bsy

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:46 pm
Is it just me? I only buy off season. I never walk into a sock store before the winter and buy cotton tights. It's way too expensive!

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:49 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I thought this thread would be about headband and tights.

Omg. Talk about criminal prices. $12 + per pair for warm school pairs.
They were sold out of all ladies black opaque in sizes medium and large, except for one brand that was 16 dollars per pair.
I took velvet bows for my daughters assuming they would be mildly over priced, at about 7 to 8 dollars. Noooope. $15.99.
And stockings with enough denier coverage. And shells.

Its a fortune.
There must be a better way.

For this stuff, there is a better way. Amazon.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:53 pm
I wouldn't spend that much on an everyday dress, but I did just replace my decrepit slippers with an expensive $150 name brand pair. Of course I didn't actually spend $150 because I waited for them to go on sale and I also got 20% back via Rakuten, but I figured that since I hadn't bought new slippers in 15 years that the cost of good new ones would sort of pay for themselves over the next 15 years since I won't have to buy new ones again for a while. Also I have foot issues and need very supportive shoes.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:56 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Most people? Middle of the road?
Sorry...
I completely disagree.
Maybe "most people from 'in-town' places who value certain looks and trends."

And this is why I posted imamother.

These threads invariably become some kind of humble brags and posts expressing outrage over what are considered to be fairly middle of the road expenditures.

There are many middle class people who buy fewer items of moderate quality. This price point is considered to be moderately priced. Not everyone wants throwaway clothing.

LittleMissMama

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:58 pm
I won't reiterate what has already been said so passionately Wink

Here are some dresses from The Frock. Not quite my style but there are every day dresses listed here in that crazy price range. Pay it if you want the brand, the style, to support a frum business etc But these are not high quality clothes. They are Target quality.

https://thefrocknyc.com/collections/dresses

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:02 pm
You know what? I’m actually really really glad I started this thread. People have given me excellent food for thought and pointed out things that I really did not consider. It’s always good to be open to seeing the other side!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:12 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
160 is not bad for a dress that you claim is made well . Most of these jewish brands are made of cheap junky material and forget the material but they're sewn uneven! People are running to buy these garbage looking skirts and dresses because bloggers and fashionistas are wearing them . The worst part is people are walking around in them thinking that it's normal to spend that much on junk and they think that they actually look good!!

I agree with this.
If it's a well tailored classic I would spend that much but not on trendy misshapen pilly pieces. If I need something trendy I go on the cheap.

Librarian

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:26 pm
When I opened this thread I thought it would be about grocery prices!

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:41 pm
What’s this craigslist group for frum women’s clothing? I would love to sell my clothing at a big discount. I spend a lot on my clothing and generally don’t wear them after the season. I always feel like putting them in a garbage bag and giving it to organizations are a waste cuz who knows what they’re doing with them.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:55 pm
Many people will pay more for better quality, durability, or a more flattering look. Some will pay more for the very latest fashion or a name designer.

The dress in question (no idea what it is) seems to look good on different body shapes, and if distribution is limited, may also have some "exclusive" appeal. Kol hakavod to the designer who apparently has established herself as a brand.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I don't know which dress.
I don't care which dress.
I just want to really object here to the use of "criminal".
Nothing criminal is going on here.
A person or company can sell a product for any price they like. You are free to buy or not buy.
I also, having grown up with parents who were in the fashion retail industry, want to point out that there are so many overhead costs of doing business you don't think about and I know people came into my parents store thinking they were making a killing on the clothes. They were not. They made a living. We were never wealthy. Looking at a dress that costs $180 and deciding in your head that it should only be $90 or $50 or whatever you have come up with is unfair. Deciding the sellers or designers are theifs is unfair.
If you don't want to pay, don't pay.
But PLEASE stop calling the price of clothes criminal.
Thank you!

Thank you completely agree with you!! People spend on what they value. No one is holding a gun to your head to buy the expensive clothing.
Also a business owner has the right to charge what they want, it’s their own parnassa!
I am a business owner of a luxury item, and I can’t understand it when people complain that I am too expensive! You pay for what you get, if you don’t want to pay it, go somewhere else!
Also, ‘jet black’ is right, you can’t imagine all the overhead expenses involved. I make an extremely low hourly rate, way lower than most people think, with all my expenses and the hours I put in.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 3:59 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
What’s this craigslist group for frum women’s clothing? I would love to sell my clothing at a big discount. I spend a lot on my clothing and generally don’t wear them after the season. I always feel like putting them in a garbage bag and giving it to organizations are a waste cuz who knows what they’re doing with them.

It is specific to their OOT community.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:05 pm
I once walked in to a new store here in Lakewood, which once stood for ruchnius over gashmius (and still does in some circles). Imagine my horror that there was no dress under $400 and most way above.

The saleswoman asked if she could help me. I told her proudly, "No thank you. There is nothing here to my taste or in my price range."

If you any of you purveyors of perfumes or furs who sell in Lakewood are on here, I want to say that you are selling in the wrong place and I sincerely hope you will not be taken too much to judgement one day.

Librarian

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:13 pm
OMG what religion do you practice?? There is zero halachicly wrong with selling or buying fur or perfume! Why not also include jewelry? Silver! As long as you pay for it honestly you can buy it! If you did not steal it you can sell it! If these luxury items don't fit in with your ruchniyius level then by all means abstain. But there is nothing intrinsically treif about these items!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:20 pm
Some adults get 2 new dresses per season and wear it to death!!! I see people wearing the same thing all season. So $160 for something worn a couple of times a week isn’t so bad.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:22 pm
It's Serendipity for me Very Happy
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics