Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving from Brooklyn to FiveTowns/Far Rockaway
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 2:04 pm
We are maxed out of our Brooklyn apartment and are looking to move the 5Towns/Far Rockaway area. I have no family in either place and yes I drive so neither of those things are a factor for me.

I live in the area of N and the teens now and we are looking mostly in Inwood but open to Bayswater and North Woodmere too. My kids are in Chaim Berlin and BYA now and will be going to Darchie and either BBY or BYAM there.

Did you make the move and not look back? Do you miss Brooklyn? How do the schools compare? the neighborhoods etc. Any words of wisdom is appreciated.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 3:31 pm
Hi
I moved from Brooklyn to five towns. I don’t miss Brooklyn at all but I didn’t grow up there so never enjoyed living there.
I moved when my kids were young so I didn’t have them in Brooklyn schools so can’t compare schools. But my kids are happy and doing well in darchei. Bayswater, north woodmere and Inwood are all very different type wise. I would suggest Inwood or north Lawrence or cedarhurst. Good luck! If you have any specific questions I will try my best to answer.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 4:14 pm
I did move here and I miss the stores, the quality of food and lack of choices jewish shopping wise is annoying. We often travel to brooklyn for shopping, it's cheaper and a better selection. I live in cedarhurst and am similar school wise to you. I don't think you would like cedarhurst, I think inwood, bayswater and north woodmere are good options. North woodmere being nicer than inwood and bayswater.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are maxed out of our Brooklyn apartment and are looking to move the 5Towns/Far Rockaway area. I have no family in either place and yes I drive so neither of those things are a factor for me.

I live in the area of N and the teens now and we are looking mostly in Inwood but open to Bayswater and North Woodmere too. My kids are in Chaim Berlin and BYA now and will be going to Darchie and either BBY or BYAM there.

Did you make the move and not look back? Do you miss Brooklyn? How do the schools compare? the neighborhoods etc. Any words of wisdom is appreciated.

Far Rockaway is very different than the rest of the 5 Towns. Make sure you know what you’re looking for. FR is much less stuck up/wealthy/materialistic (I’m not saying all, but many) than the rest.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 4:57 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Hi
I moved from Brooklyn to five towns. I don’t miss Brooklyn at all but I didn’t grow up there so never enjoyed living there.
I moved when my kids were young so I didn’t have them in Brooklyn schools so can’t compare schools. But my kids are happy and doing well in darchei. Bayswater, north woodmere and Inwood are all very different type wise. I would suggest Inwood or north Lawrence or cedarhurst. Good luck! If you have any specific questions I will try my best to answer.

How would you describe the three neighborhoods? I know they are all a little different but my impression is that there is a decent overlap of people between the three

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How would you describe the three neighborhoods? I know they are all a little different but my impression is that there is a decent overlap of people between the three

I live here. There is definitely overlap. That being said inwood and bayswater have a more similar crowd (more simple) than north woodmere. Also north woodmere has the highest property taxes of all three. At this point pricing isn’t exactly equal but getting there

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think type wise, you will find your type in all 3 of the neighborhoods you mentioned. It's mostly about price, size of houses and surrounding non jews that differ. Inwood and bayswater are surrounded by poor neighborhoods that aren't that great. North woodmere doesn't have that. North woodmere is cleaner and prettier but it's more expensive. Also north woodmere is the most diverse and has people all over the frum spectrum. Inwood is mostly one crowd and bayswater has a mix but a very simple crowd.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:29 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I think type wise, you will find your type in all 3 of the neighborhoods you mentioned. It's mostly about price, size of houses and surrounding non jews that differ. Inwood and bayswater are surrounded by poor neighborhoods that aren't that great. North woodmere doesn't have that. North woodmere is cleaner and prettier but it's more expensive. Also north woodmere is the most diverse and has people all over the frum spectrum. Inwood is mostly one crowd and bayswater has a mix but a very simple crowd.

When you say one crowd in inwood, how would you describe that one crowd. What more does bayswater have then inwood crowd wise? More right more left or both?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:35 pm
I live in Bayswater and send my daughter to BYAM. I don’t really want to respond here, because these threads have a tendency to turn into lashon hara. If you would like, you can message me.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:08 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Far Rockaway is very different than the rest of the 5 Towns. Make sure you know what you’re looking for. FR is much less stuck up/wealthy/materialistic (I’m not saying all, but many) than the rest.

This is not true. I have lived in both far rockaway and the five towns. It depends on your block/ type of shul etc... I find parts of the five towns to be very simple and very warm, and not stuck up or materialistic at all. And far rockaway has all types of people including wealthy stuck up people.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:13 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:

Inwood is very diverse these days. It’s def not just one crowd. That being said you won’t find really very modern orthodox crowd in inwood. But ots not really something u find a lot of in bayswater either.

I’ve actually heard pple saying that I wood is the “new bayswater”

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:21 pm
What does that mean, the new bayswater

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 8:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does that mean, the new bayswater

Meaning it’s the new up and coming place.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 8:47 pm
Are your kids still young? Or older?
Inwood has a lot of young families

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:16 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Meaning it’s the new up and coming place.

That’s not the context I heard it.
Bayswater has a certain rep in this area as the more simple, low key out of town type in comparison to the rest of the five towns. It has its share of non mainstream types. Inwood is beginning to attract some of that crowd as well.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:23 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Bayswater has a certain rep in this area as the more simple, low key out of town type in comparison to the rest of the five towns. It has its share of non mainstream types. Inwood is beginning to attract some of that crowd as well.

Bayswater is not technically part of the five towns, it’s part of far rockaway. And yes, you are right, it is way simpler here. One of the reasons I love it is because I detest NY (I’m from Miami, and I’m super slow paced) but this feels very suburban, not busy at all. If I HAVE to be in NY, I’m happy we found Bayswater.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:42 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

I know many lovely people who live in Bayswater. I am also aware that it has a name for being less mainstream. When you say inwood is attracting that crowd do you mean the simpler crowd or the less mainstream crowd

gold21

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know many lovely people who live in Bayswater. I am also aware that it has a name for being less mainstream. When you say inwood is attracting that crowd do you mean the simpler crowd or the less mainstream crowd

The simpler crowd

Not the less mainstream crowd

I don't know who calls Inwood the "new Bayswater", I think they are rather different, though both lovely.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:47 pm
Inwood is a newer community than bayswater so it’s younger people

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Both
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating