Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Which Food staple wasn't around when you were a kid
Previous  1  2  3  Next

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:07 pm
I now recall that the only alternative to milk was soy formula or cream.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:08 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
The following either weren't around when I was a child, or they were, and my parents just didn't buy them. I encountered them the first time as an adult. (also, they are not all staples for me now, but are either now, or were at sometime in the past.)

quinoa
cous cous
avocados
fresh mint (I think this is just a case of my parents never buying it, where I do as an adult.)
plant based milks (soy, almond, cashew, coconut, oat, etc.)
tofu
alternative flours such as almond, coconut, chickpea, rice
alternative sweeteners such as stevia, monkfruit, coconut sugar, etc
nutritional yeast
cashews (not that we didn't have these, but I am using them now as ingredients in the most unlikely things.)
spices such as curry powder, cumin, turmeric, saffron
aquafaba

I agree about these things not being staples, but I'm impressed with your list. The only thing I could think of was olive oil with a hechsher. Olive oil from Spain was sold in all the bodegas and my neighbor bought it for his Chanuka licht, but there was none with a hechsher.

If we're talking non-staples, I'll add kosher nondairy creamer, kosher nondairy whipped topping aka "whip", and parve ice cream substitutes, none of which I consider to be a staple OR food, for that matter. I consider them plastic.

Of course there was no such thing as prechecked veggies or microwavable meals, but, then, there were no microwave ovens.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:14 pm
goforit wrote:
I have a very good simple recipe for it. Message me if u want

You have a recipe for NOUGAT ROLLS???? Please post it for everyone to benefit!

N'sMom

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:36 pm
Taken from this week''s shabbos menu. Quinoa, sesame oil, kosher balsamic vinegar, soy/almond milk, kosher dry wine, tofu....

bnm

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:38 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I now recall that the only alternative to milk was soy formula or cream.
I remember Rice Dream.

miami85

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 3:20 pm
Not so much wasn't around, but weren't kosher: Oreos, M&Ms, Milky Ways, Tootsie Rolls/Tootsie pops, Charms Blow Pops.

goforit

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 5:02 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
You have a recipe for NOUGAT ROLLS???? Please post it for everyone to benefit!

https://www.culinaryhill.com/wprm_print/30102

The middle layer of marshmallow fluff confection sugar and peanut butter is exactly the inside of the nougat roll. I roll it in peanuts.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 1:27 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
How about romaine lettuce? It existed, but that was the lettuce everyone used for Pesach for the maror. During the year we only had iceberg lettuce in all of our salads. I can’t even think of using that nowadays.

Why can't you imagine using it? I like iceberg lettuce much more than romaine.

etky

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 4:24 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
How about romaine lettuce? It existed, but that was the lettuce everyone used for Pesach for the maror. During the year we only had iceberg lettuce in all of our salads. I can’t even think of using that nowadays.

And in Israel it is the exact opposite.
Romaine (here they call it חסה ערבית) has always been the default and iceberg (חסה אמריקאית) has been available only relatively recently and is still used much less than the Romaine.

etky

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 4:26 pm
keym wrote:
A lot of these are based on community. I grew up with frozen yogurt.
Avocados were around but no one knew what to do with it.
On the other hand, I must have been 8 or so, and we got 5 whole coconuts for shalach Manos one year. I don't see those as much anymore.
I actually remember the news reports when PAM came in. I wrote a current events wrote up about this magic spray that can grease pans like oil or margarine but no fat or calories or whatever.
And of course the candy industry particularly the sour gross stuff. I remember when sour sticks came to the kosher supermarkets.

Yup. So did I. It's been around forever. Well, at least since the '80's. In Israel too....

Raisin

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 5:04 pm
frozen gefilta fish rolls. My mother would get fish mixture from the fishmonger and make her own.

We lived on avocados every pesach so definitely had those.

Fancy bags of mixed lettuce leaves.

Pareve ice cream available in regular shops, not just Jewish brands.

Tons of kosher vegan and veggie products from regular shops.

southernbubby

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 8:05 pm
Although it has nothing to do with food, before disposable diapers and wipes were available, imagine what a 3 day YomTov was like trying to have enough cloth diapers, especially when there was more than one child in the house in diapers.

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 9:02 pm
Not sure if you can call it a staple but frozen crushed garlic cubes (followed by their spinoff cousins dill, basil, ginger, etc) are my favorite kitchen improvement.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 9:14 pm
I must be the oldest here
I am still traumatized by my aunt taking me to the live chicken market on Orchard St in the east side and watching the chicken being shechted

Then seeing her make Galla and feesilach in the bathtub

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 11:29 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I must be the oldest here
I am still traumatized by my aunt taking me to the live chicken market on Orchard St in the east side and watching the chicken being shechted

Then seeing her make Galla and feesilach in the bathtub

Lol this reminds me of when zaidy was young

In my days takeout options were like, rotisserie chicken and baby potatoes. Now u can pick up just abt anything.
Prechecked veggies, the huge assortment of frozen foods, certain spice blends, and all the specialty diet/health foods are new to me

groisamomma

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:03 am
go for it, can you please post the amounts for the recipe? Nougat rolls and chew chews!!!

Heimish companies started making cereals when I was in high school. Until then we ate Post and Kellogs.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:49 am
None of these are staples. Staples are bread, milk, cheese, tuna, and eggs. I digress. Avocado I had when I first got married. I didn't like it before, but I never really tried it. My dh liked different kind of vegetables and then it was kind of considered different. Now we have it all the time. Also hearts of palm. The only time I had it is when I went to visit my grandparents on the west coast. Now I have it all the time, but where I live now it's always been a "staple".

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 5:37 pm
My mother didn't really make eggplant that I can remember. Now I use it in all sorts of dishes.
I remember my mother making gefilte fish from scratch in a grinder. She started using frozen loaves when I was in HS.
I can't think of anything that I use on a regular basis that wasn't available when I was a kid. I cook on the simpler side using basic ingredients and we buy very few takeout or packaged products. We had super snacks when I was a child but not bisili. I don't know if it was new to the market or the local stores just didn't carry it.
My mother used coffee rich as a milk substitute. I can't remember soy or almond milk came on the market.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:02 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Why can't you imagine using it? I like iceberg lettuce much more than romaine.

It’s very low nutrition value. I think that’s why many avoid it.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:14 pm
Microwave popcorn.
We got our first microwave when I was maybe 10. My parents didn’t buy any microwave popcorn (don’t know if it was a kashrut thing or an expense thing or they just didn’t want) and I wanted it so badly. I took a brown lunch sack, filled with kernels and oil, folded and stapled shut and microwaved it. Caused a minor explosion and fire. Oops. 😬
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics