Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Starting school

Yael

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:31 pm
today was levi's first day of school. his very first day ever being away from me besides for regular playdates. I think it was harder for me than for him. embarrassed he was happy to stay there and didnt mind my leaving, I only lingered for myself to watch how he played. well I picked him up at 1 oclock and he was happy to come home. he was very tired and fell asleep as soon as we got home. when I asked him if he wants to go back tomorrow, he said no, but soon.

now my question is this:
what is the average nursery school like? what kind of things are expected from the kids? I think that sitting and joining everyone in an activity, and being expected to listen and pay attention, is just too hard for him. do other nurserys expect this much or is montreal just very intense? I've never heard of another school where 3 yr olds are expected to sit at the table doing an activity, levi just wanted to play with the toys!!
whats your school like?

stem

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:35 pm
I'm sure they have a lot of play time too. I think 3 year olds are expected to be able sit for short periods of time to do a painting, stickers, circle time, snack. Don't worry! He'll get the hang of it. It's more structured then being home, but most 3 yr. old programs are still mostly play.

Tovah

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 2:44 pm
I've taught in 2 diff cities, and there is lots of play time, but as stem says there is some sitting time too. it will take alittle getting used too.

Yael

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 3:28 pm
see thats my question. b/c here it isnt mostly play.
they have free play in the morning, but after that its circle time arts crafts time, story time, learning alef bais time, then play outside and lunch.
is it just me or is that alot for a kid?
then after luch they have a whole program too of learning and circle time. shock
but hes not staying the whole day. b/c it too much

1stimer

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 3:29 pm
how comes today is the first day of school? aren't we in middle of vacation?

basmalkah

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 3:52 pm
Yael -
I know that they do have a little free play in the afternoon as well after the circle - and at the same time there is an activity going on. At least that's the way it always was Wink .
Good luck to Levi in school.

shira

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 4:40 pm
Don't forget that even w/in the structure there is pleanty of "space" for a kid to do his own thing. There will be pleanty of time for playing with the toys and soon they will be familiar to him and less enticing. I found that my 3 year old really enjoys "structured play time". What I'm concerned about is that my 3 yr old will have 27 other kids in his class.........frustrated.......... but there's nothing I can do about it but kvetch.

Tovah

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 5:06 pm
yael it's normal, in boston when I taught this was their schedual

playtime
davening
breakfast
outside
circle time
art
lunch
outside
crcle time
art
play-home

circle time was 25 mins
art was abt the same

lucy

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 8:11 pm
Yael, as someone else mentioned within the activities there is freeplay. Forexample when they are doing a craft usually they have center time where they pick a play station - blocks,puzzles,ect. & the Morah call a few kids at a time to do a craft with her. It's usually not the whole class at once doing this craft. Also it is good for him to learn to sit and concentrate for the time of circle time. I know for davenning many teachers have them jump/dance around at certain points.

chochma73

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 8:24 pm
also keep in mind that school takes a lot out of a kid (and the teacher) and is different from being at home. He moves and runs around more, has to concentrate and listen to his teacher it takes a lot out of him which is why he is so tired when he gets home.

Give him a week or two and he will love it!

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 8:32 pm
Yael wrote:
see thats my question. b/c here it isnt mostly play.
they have free play in the morning, but after that its circle time arts crafts time, story time, learning alef bais time, then play outside and lunch.
is it just me or is that alot for a kid?
then after luch they have a whole program too of learning and circle time. shock
but hes not staying the whole day. b/c it too much

It sounds pretty typical to me. Today was Noam's first day also and he loved it, but fell asleep in the car on the way home. And he hasn't taken a nap all summer!

basmalkah

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 8:43 pm
Tovah wrote:
circle time was 25 mins

That's a bit too long! Circle should not be longer than 10 minutes - especially for 3 year olds just entering school .

Tovah

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 10:14 pm
no kid ever had a hard time sitting, but maybe it was 20 mins I don't really remember

queen

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 2:30 am
yael,

if you're concerned about it, why don't you just keep him home one more year? 3 is still young, I would think they don't need to be in school just yet. but that's just my opinion Smile

Tovah

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:13 am
but queen how will he handle it next yr. when school gets alittle bit more demanding?

Tovah

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:24 am
yael, just remembered, when I entered first grade, the first couple of days I used to fall asleep at my desk around 3ish. then I got used to it.

Yael

Post Mon, Sep 05 2005, 4:07 pm
well he's gotten used to it now, and loves going, though he's still happy to come home at 1 o clock. everyone asks me why dont I keep him the whole day? but it would be too long for him, and besides I dont need it. I'm happy to have him home again. Very Happy anything that really needs doing I do in the morning, and by the afternoon I clear time to do nothing but take care of the kids.

raizy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 11:08 pm
I know which school your kid goes to I used to teach there in the summer . most of the time is free play call it what u like . a bit of circle time alef bais time. even when u do a craft not all the kid do it at the same time. so the other kids are busying playing with toys while u take some kids to the the crafts etc , I dont know how it is nowadays. but that was how it was in my times.

raizy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 11:11 pm
no it is not a good idea in this day and age to skip nursery. do u know what it will do to your child. all the other kids in the class will have one whole yr of schooling and learning concepts like sharing sitting still etc and your kid will not know this concepts in a school setting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers