Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much do you make an hour?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:08 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I hear your point but I think it’s all about the perspective it’s being viewed from.

Personally, I was intrigued by this post because I am a secretary/ bookkeeper. I work 40 hrs a week and make $20 an hour. Also self employed and and have a seasonal side business. Average combined can range from $60 to $80k but last year it was a terrible year and I didn’t come close to $60k. I am the breadwinner since my husband hasn’t worked because of health issues. The struggle has been intense.

I don’t feel bad that I don’t make as much as others. I wish I did. I feel like I work twice as hard and want to hear which careers Jewish women are in and where they make a comfortable income. Right now I’m in a rut and trying to find a way to get out of it. Whether it be entrepreneurial or finishing my degree. Looking for ideas that may motivate me to make a positive change in my life.

Just an idea, if you're experienced with bookkeeping you could easily become a freelancer and charge double the amount you earn right now... I don't know where you're located and what the demand is in your area. But most small businesses rather sub out their bookkeeping than hiring a secretary to do that.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:12 am
I make a yearly salary and have paid vacation days/holidays, how do I calculate the per hour rate?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:10 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I make a yearly salary and have paid vacation days/holidays, how do I calculate the per hour rate?

Take the number of hours you work a week and multiply by the number of weeks you get paid, which is your case is 52. That's how many hours a year you work.
Then, take your salary and divide by that number.

For example:
40 hours/week x 52 = 2080 hours a year

If you make $100,00, then:
100,000 divided by 2080 = approximately $48/hr

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:18 am
The other good part about a thread like this is that women are able to see the potential in their fields. Some of the data on the pay disparity between men and women shows that women make less (when in the same field as men) because they don't know to ask for more or they don't make the decision to move around based on salary because it's not talked about. It's important to be educated about salaries in your field.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:19 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
How much does she charge? Where is she located? Is she IITAP certified, or is she just a CASAC?
In Brooklyn and the 5 Towns that is the going starting rate. The last time I checked, Dr. Binyamin Tepfer charged $500 for a consultation and $350 for a regular session- he may have gone up since, and hes quite full.

These rates are obscene. And a real shame because desperate, hurting people are going to him and most are not rich. Most are struggling and desperate.

I think it's a real ethical issue for therapists to milk their clients this way, and take advantage of their specialty area by charging well above normal rates because people will go to them anyway.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:23 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I dont know her exact letters. I believe she charges 150/45 minutes and she will do sliding scale. I dont know what her initial intake or DUI assessment fees are. I think she is really out to help people.

This is wonderful to hear. That she is out to help people and not milk them for money for self enrichment.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:25 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Take the number of hours you work a week and multiply by the number of weeks you get paid, which is your case is 52. That's how many hours a year you work.
Then, take your salary and divide by that number.

For example:
40 hours/week x 52 = 2080 hours a year

If you make $100,00, then:
100,000 divided by 2080 = approximately $48/hr

Yeah, but then it's complicated by vacation/sick days, plus holiday's off, etc ... and as a teacher, I get paid over the summer when I'm not working! I have no idea how to calculate - which is why I gave a guesstimate (Dh did the math, lol) plus just writing my salary.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:02 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
These rates are obscene. And a real shame because desperate, hurting people are going to him and most are not rich. Most are struggling and desperate.

I think it's a real ethical issue for therapists to milk their clients this way, and take advantage of their specialty area by charging well above normal rates because people will go to them anyway.

Who sets the normal rate? What do you consider the normal rate? Do you say the same thing about attorneys that bill at $500 an hour?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:28 am
When people in private practice charge a lot, it works psychologically to help their clients take the process seriously and work hard. I'm in private practice as a speech therapist, and I've seen the difference in attitude and effort between clients whose sessions are covered by insurance, vs. clients who are paying $100/session out of pocket. Of course that's a huge generalization, and no it doesn't apply to everyone.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:35 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

As a therapist, I agree.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:44 am
$24 an hour -Interior Design Coordinator
My first year in the field

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:46 am
I make $60 an hour in my primary job (administrator and teacher in a school) and $25 and hour for my side job for a major publishing house. It took me many years and a lot of education to get to this salary.

I do understand that people feel resentful of those in the health/mental health service industries for their very high rates, but please realize something:

These jobs necessitate a LOT of education. People in these professions need to constantly keep up with changes and advances in their fields.

These jobs are HARD. Just like you can "fargin" your sheitlmacher for charging what she charges because the poor woman works every hour of the day on her aching feet, think about the toll it takes on a therapist who is dealing with so much pain and strong emotion hour after hour after hour?

Everybody wants to make a living! Yes, most people who go into mental health service industries want to help people, but they also want to be able to put food on the table and send their kids to school. If they are very very good at what they do, I don't see why they are wrong for charging how much their time is worth. Remember, many of these professionals are self-employed and have overhead costs as well! They're not putting every dollar into their own pockets.

While I personally understand how difficult it can be to afford a therapist whose services you need (I've been there!), I don't think that you can blame them, especially since I have found that there are 1)many generous professionals who will charge on a sliding scale, and 2)if you look hard, there are community resources that can help individuals pay for therapy that is badly needed.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:46 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Who sets the normal rate? What do you consider the normal rate? Do you say the same thing about attorneys that bill at $500 an hour?

I once spoke to an attorney, and yes, he said it straight out - his rates are obscene.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:50 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

There are general standards, of course with variation.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:04 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I make $60 an hour in my primary job (administrator and teacher in a school) and $25 and hour for my side job for a major publishing house. It took me many years and a lot of education to get to this salary.

I do understand that people feel resentful of those in the health/mental health service industries for their very high rates, but please realize something:

These jobs necessitate a LOT of education. People in these professions need to constantly keep up with changes and advances in their fields.

These jobs are HARD. Just like you can "fargin" your sheitlmacher for charging what she charges because the poor woman works every hour of the day on her aching feet, think about the toll it takes on a therapist who is dealing with so much pain and strong emotion hour after hour after hour?

Everybody wants to make a living! Yes, most people who go into mental health service industries want to help people, but they also want to be able to put food on the table and send their kids to school. If they are very very good at what they do, I don't see why they are wrong for charging how much their time is worth. Remember, many of these professionals are self-employed and have overhead costs as well! They're not putting every dollar into their own pockets.

While I personally understand how difficult it can be to afford a therapist whose services you need (I've been there!), I don't think that you can blame them, especially since I have found that there are 1)many generous professionals who will charge on a sliding scale, and 2)if you look hard, there are community resources that can help individuals pay for therapy that is badly needed.

While a lot of what you said is true, to some extent, I still think charging people obscene amounts just because they can is morally wrong in the mental health field.

While MH professionals do invest in their training, at a certain point that slows down. And it's not as expensive as everyone makes it out there be. They could pay for a two day conference with one or two hours pay.

The main difference is that overcharging to the extent that the fee could be days or a week's pay for some people is just mercenary and exploitative.

amother
White

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:09 am
I am a recruiter. I started with work experience but no experience in the industry at $16 an hour no benefits and currently at up to $24 an hour. I have been at my job for almost 5 years. Now, I get health insurance, a great package of days off and a lot of overall flexibility. I also work really close to home which is really beneficial for being the mother of small children. My boss is overall committed to raising my salary which gives me a lot of chizzuk when im feeling super broke.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:19 am
I get paid a salary, not on the hour, so this is estimated. I make about $30 an hour.
I work part time so it's not a lot annually.

I'm experienced in my field for 7 years, and started at $10 an hour 7 years ago.
(Changed companies at some point, if I would still be at my original job I would not be making $30/hr)

No paid vacations, no benefits. And plenty of taxes.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:38 am
You can't really compare salary to hourly pay. If you work part time in a school you can be making 40/hr but in reality that comes out to 13500 a yr because you only work 15 hours a week and off in summer and yt...

Point being it sounds nice per hour but reality is you don't have the opportunity to make a decent amount and support a family.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:44 am
My school gives 50% off tuition
If you work there
More if you get scholarship
So, even though I make $32,000 a year
I make more with benefits included

I bring home $16,000 after taxes and tuition is all paid for. I work 20hrs a week, Morah.
4 kids in school

Tuition is about 20,000 a yr, so I’m making 96,000, part time- wow

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:48 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
My school gives 50% off tuition
If you work there
More if you get scholarship
So, even though I make $32,000 a year
I make more with benefits included

I bring home $16,000 after taxes and tuition is all paid for. I work 20hrs a week, Morah.
4 kids in school

Tuition is about 20,000 a yr, so I’m making 96,000, part time- wow

You need a break because you make 32,000 a year. This way though you don't have to beg for it so that's really nice.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics