Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva Shaar HaTorah

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:14 am
Looking for info on this yeshiva.
What is their hashkafa? What is it like? What kind of boys/families send there? Do the boys dorm? What is the English education like?

Tia

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:24 am
I sent 2 boys. One is there now. Excellent yeshiva with pretty good English. Attracts boys that are smart, and self motivated. Has a reputation that it lacks warmth. That is changing a little.
Most dorm. They're home every shabbos from 9th - 11th. Some go home Tuesday night as well.
(anon cause I don't want to give myself away.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:13 pm
Ty for your response - anyone else have experiences to share.

Coral, what do you mean that its starting to change a little in terms of warmth?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:10 pm
The rabbeim are beginning to develop a kesher with their talmidim. They'll sometimes invite the class over for Thursday night chulent. That didn't happen so much years ago.
The boys are amazing. Bais medrash boys often learn with the younger ones and also develop a kesher with them.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:16 pm
Hi,
Where is this school ?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:21 pm
Kew gardens.

Librarian

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:44 pm
My husband and son were both talmidim of Yeshiva Shaar Hatorah. This is a yeshiva for mitzuyanim. If your son is smart enough to get in and he is a self motivated boy consider yourself and him lucky! Very serious high level of learning. The secular studies dept is probably the best of what is out there for a right wing yeshiva. It's not "Harvard" as some like to claim, but it's about as good as it gets. Around half of my son's class went on to become long term or "forever" learners, while the other half (including my son) went on to professions, many (like my son) attending Ivy league institutions. The boys are not "greasy", many are quite polished. The boys from the neighborhood are more yeshivish but still kind of out of town open minded. The reason we say "self motivated" is because there is no hand-holding. There is an expectancy and pressure among peers for excellency. Yeshiva Shaar Hatorah is not in the "Lakewood" mold. It is a special kind of place for a special kind of boy.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:48 pm
Librarian wrote:
My husband and son were both talmidim of Yeshiva Shaar Hatorah. This is a yeshiva for mitzuyanim. If your son is smart enough to get in and he is a self motivated boy consider yourself and him lucky! Very serious high level of learning. The secular studies dept is probably the best of what is out there for a right wing yeshiva. It's not "Harvard" as some like to claim, but it's about as good as it gets. Around half of my son's class went on to become long term or "forever" learners, while the other half (including my son) went on to professions, many (like my son) attending Ivy league institutions. The boys are not "greasy", many are quite polished. The boys from the neighborhood are more yeshivish but still kind of out of town open minded. The reason we say "self motivated" is because there is no hand-holding. There is an expectancy and pressure among peers for excellency. Yeshiva Shaar Hatorah is not in the "Lakewood" mold. It is a special kind of place for a special kind of boy.

This 👆
Very accurate.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 7:10 pm
Librarian wrote:

LOL elitist vibes much?

Yes, I googled the name of this Yeshiva and this thread popped up.

Ummm.... Okay.

This kind of description would turn me off this yeshiva. Is this accurate? Even if my son is a mitzuyan, I don't think I want him to be someplace with a lot of "shtoltz".

Librarian

Post Sat, Aug 20 2022, 10:15 pm
I don't think they have a lot of shtoltz at all. This is not a "Yeshivish", Lakewood type yeshiva. It is a yeshiva for very smart boys who learn very well. My friends' sons who went to Telz Riverdale or Yeshiva of Philadelphia would not be caught dead in Shaar Hatorah (and probably visa versa).

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Aug 21 2022, 9:42 pm
excellent yeshiva for fine young man who will be growing

outstanding staff, good for the motivated kid, beautiful outcome!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics