Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Why do people who know better say "eat by" / "stay by"?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm a BT and it fascinates me that so many frum people use phrases like "eat by" and "stay by." This includes many people who were born in America, were raised by American-born native English speaker parents, and have strong secular educations (attended prestigious universities, grad degrees), etc. A lot of these people aren't even super-yeshivish types who are constantly speaking "yeshivish-ese" (e.g., "mamesh this, mamesh that").

I know that these phrases come from a literal translation of the Yiddish. But it's obviously not correct English grammar, and I'm sure most of these highly educated people know that it's not correct grammar. I just find it really strange that frum folks have managed to keep with this usage. I get why frum folks would want to retain various Yiddishisms / Hebrewisms, I don't get why, if they're already speaking English, they would want to use incorrect English.

I'm just curious for some insight. Not the most important question in the world.

someone correct me if I'm wrong - isn't "by" is also a yiddish word.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:33 pm
I just thought of something, is it possible that by is the shortened version of hosted by?

hosted by is grammatically correct, and it's possible that over time the hosted part became self understood and redundant and was shortened to just by.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:36 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I just thought of something, is it possible that by is the shortened version of hosted by?

hosted by is grammatically correct, and it's possible that over time the hosted part became self understood and redundant and was shortened to just by.

No because people say "by jews", "by us" "by the non jews" etc

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:36 pm
comment from a Canadian people here seem to 'Put up supper" or 'put up their chulent".... is it going onto shelf?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:38 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

Can't be. "She will eat [hosted] by us" makes no sense.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:04 pm
OP, your first post and subsequent participation in this thread don't read to me like curiosity at all. People seeking insight are typically receptive and open. You are either ignoring the reasons given, or arguing that they're not good enough.

I increasingly get the impression that you just want to condemn the practice you claim to be curious about. So just condemn it. Yes, some people will think you're narrow minded and overly judgmental. But you're posting under amother anyway, so no big deal.

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:11 pm
And how about "I'm being the tree in my play.." or "I'm being a schnitzel on Purim".

If I had a dime for every time I shouted "going to be!" I would be able to afford the Swarovski version of the Bond perfumes..

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:27 pm
OP is not the first and won’t be the last person here or irl to express as a question I. e. request for information thoughts that are really criticisms, complaints, humblebrags, ordinary brags or self-justifications.

Am I the only one here with an IQ (or income) in the stratosphere? (Maybe not, but you’re the only one crass enough to mention it.)

Why does my dh do this?????) ( We should know? We don’t even know the man.)

Why do frum people/charedim/blondes/MO singles/people from Brooklyn/marmots from Monsey/chicks from Chicago always do _____________ (I couldn’t say. I never noticed that they did, and certainly not “always.”

I’m gorgeous, a former child model. How can I help men avoid looking at me.? ( Burkas come to mind. The kind with the mesh screen for the eyes.)

Why shouldn’t I spend $50K on a necklace if I can afford it and really like it, or alternatively, Would you let dh spend $50K on a necklace for you if he can afford it and you really like it? ( Ask someone else. If it costs $50K, I don’t like it.)

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:47 pm
I don’t understand, you complaining that people are not using correct grammar for speach yet your writing grammar isn’t any better. It was so unclear and alot of made up words by you. No I am not talking about examples you gave.

estreya

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:57 pm
I'm stating the obvious but most of how we speak is generally dictated by the company we keep or situations we are in. It's foremost Ashkenazis with Yiddish in their background or people who had German as a first language (and are now speaking English) who are going to be using "by...." taken from the word BEI. Of course, as the generations progress, certain words, expressions often stay [or disappear] in the colloquial language of those groups (more with Jews I would think as many of our Yiddish words or ways of speaking just won't or don't transfer well and we keep those). As more people (from different backgrounds even) mix with or marry into those communities, that way of speaking survives.

I'm 1st generation North American. I remember hearing things from older family members like -- go get mein purse and put it mit mein coat. LOL - they couldn't get certain words right even after being told so many times. Of course, that was acceptable for them as it English was the 3rd or 4th language; if I spoke that way it would just be weird.

I love hearing the English of some Yiddish speakers (the ones who still use it as their main daily language) and not because it is funny but rather because of how the syntax of the translations work. One girl I worked with told me "I baked my husband in the oven a chocolate cake." Have to admit I found it funny. LOL

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:58 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I don’t understand, you complaining that people are not using correct grammar for speach yet your writing grammar isn’t any better. It was so unclear and alot of made up words by you. No I am not talking about examples you gave.

Is this a joke?

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:02 pm
Wait- whoever mentioned “costed” I’m too lazy to go find that post to quote- what’s wrong with that?

Quote:
Is there such a word as costed?
Both cost and costed can be used; it depends on the sense in which you use them. ... For example, it costs/cost/has cost me five dollars. However, if you use 'cost (out)' as an action verb to mean to determine or estimate how much something will cost you, then you can use costed as past tense and past participle.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:15 pm
watergirl wrote:
Also - “in the mood of”. It kills me.

What’s wrong with saying this?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:20 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

It's wrong.
The expression is 'in the mood for'.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:21 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

nothing. but most American English speakers say "In the mood for", not "In the mood of".

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:22 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Wait- whoever mentioned “costed” I’m too lazy to go find that post to quote- what’s wrong with that?

Quote:
Is there such a word as costed?
Both cost and costed can be used; it depends on the sense in which you use them. ... For example, it costs/cost/has cost me five dollars. However, if you use 'cost (out)' as an action verb to mean to determine or estimate how much something will cost you, then you can use costed as past tense and past participle.

There is a word 'costed' but no one here uses it in the right way. People use it as the past tense of cost - that coat costed me $100. That's just wrong.

When the verb cost means to be priced at or to cause loss or expenditure, it is uninflected in the past tense and as a past participle. For example, we might say that the low-cost milk cost less yesterday than it costs today. But when cost means determine the cost of or set the cost of, it is inflected costed. For example, we might say that the store manager costed the milk at a cheaper price yesterday.
To people in the U.S., costed might sound funny because this sense of the word is not commonly used in American English. Americans don’t have an exact equivalent of costed, but valued, budgeted, priced, paid for, accounted for, and estimated the cost for come close in different uses. This sense of cost is much more common in varieties of English from outside North America, and it is not unheard of in Canadian English

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:25 pm
There are so many mistakes on this site, that I don't know if it's because English is a second language for so many, or because so many had a sub par education.

One that drives me particularly nuts is 'don't must'. I really hope anyone who utters that combination is NOT a native speaker.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:27 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
There are so many mistakes on this site, that I don't know if it's because English is a second language for so many, or because so many had a sub par education.

One that drives me particularly nuts is 'don't must'. I really hope anyone who utters that combination is NOT a native speaker.

subpar. one word.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:32 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
subpar. one word.

Yes, thank you. I actually know that, but the computer underlined the word in red and insisted I change to two words.

Never trust your spellcheck when you know better.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:34 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Yes, thank you. I actually know that, but the computer underlined the word in red and insisted I change to two words.

Never trust your spellcheck when you know better.

Great. Perhaps cut other people some slack too.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette