Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to remove knaidelach from pot without breaking them?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:30 pm
Title says it all.

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:31 pm
Use a slotted serving spoon.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:32 pm
I just boil in a big pot with lots of water and then fish them out with a serving spoon. Some water comes with. They don't usually break. Maybe you're cooking them too long?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:

This. A solid spoon will work, too, you’d just have to tip it sideways a bit to drain off the broth. Spotted spoon saves half a step.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:41 pm
First prepare all the plates of soup, then put a matzah ball in each plate.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:47 pm
I used to have the same issue, and realized it was much easier for me to make the kneidelech erev shabbos directly into the boiling soup being warmed up for shabbos. No extra pot to wash, no waiting for it to cool, no transferring and hoping they don't break, and if I have too many my kids get kneidlech Sunday for supper and everyone is happy.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:49 pm
Letting it cool before taking out helps a lot

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:53 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I used to have the same issue, and realized it was much easier for me to make the kneidelech erev shabbos directly into the boiling soup being warmed up for shabbos. No extra pot to wash, no waiting for it to cool, no transferring and hoping they don't break, and if I have too many my kids get kneidlech Sunday for supper and everyone is happy.

I've never done it any other way. I imagine it's also tastier, having cooked in the soup!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:11 pm
LOL at seeing this title after "Have you tried marijuana".

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 7:56 am
doodlesmom wrote:

Just curious of the chicken soup gets "cloudy" if the knaidlech sit in the soup for so long - I.e. from when they are done boiling until you serve the soup an hour later after kiddush?

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:00 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Just curious of the chicken soup gets "cloudy" if the knaidlech sit in the soup for so long - I.e. from when they are done boiling until you serve the soup an hour later after kiddush?

Not cloudy at all, just make sure to put them in with the soup is bubbling, and I keep it warm from then till served.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:18 am
doodlesmom wrote:

People make and beat them up separately?

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:19 am
I used to make a couple packs of kneidelach at once in boiling water, and then transfer it into containers with the amounts I needed for each week, and freeze them. I would then take out a container erev shabbos. Now I do as I mentioned above-much easier.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Title says it all.

Thanks!

Also, I use a big ladle.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 9:24 pm
May I ask a stupid question? Why is a “broken” kneidlach a problem? Don’t people cut them up in the bowl anyway? Nobody puts a whole kneidl in their mouth. unless it totally disintegrates so you can’t tell there was ever a kneidl there, in which case you either need to make them denser by using more matzah meal, or you have too little egg to bind it, or you need to let the mixture chill in the fridge longer before forming the balls and cooking.

tilot37354

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 9:28 pm
If they're breaking/falling apart there was probably too much liquid in mixture, or they cooked too long. Use less liquid and more baking powder/soda, and they'll be easier to form, won't disintegrate, and will be just as fluffy.

honeymoon

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
May I ask a stupid question? Why is a “broken” kneidlach a problem? Don’t people cut them up in the bowl anyway? Nobody puts a whole kneidl in their mouth. unless it totally disintegrates so you can’t tell there was ever a kneidl there, in which case you either need to make them denser by using more matzah meal, or you have too little egg to bind it, or you need to let the mixture chill in the fridge longer before forming the balls and cooking.

Because people enjoy serving the food they cooked in an appealing manner. A steak also gets cut up when eaten, yet I wouldn't appreciate being served a broken up piece of steak.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 9:59 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Because people enjoy serving the food they cooked in an appealing manner. A steak also gets cut up when eaten, yet I wouldn't appreciate being served a broken up piece of steak.

Geez, there are some real hoity toity people here. I wouldn’t be the list bit put off or offended to find a “broken” kneidl in my soup—unless it had obvious tooth marks.

honeymoon

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 10:04 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Geez, there are some real hoity toity people here. I wouldn’t be the list bit put off or offended to find a “broken” kneidl in my soup—unless it had obvious tooth marks.

Me neither. (for the kneidel, not the steak Smile )

I was referring to the one serving it. I know I like to present the food I cook in an appealing way to my family and guests. So while I would certainly eat a broken kneidel, I would prefer not to serve one.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 12:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:

On Erev Shabbos or Yom Tov, but not Shabbos itself Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note