Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Who can help me make heads or tails out of this NYS
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:28 pm
nchr wrote:
I thought you said your child received DTaP. In addition, there is a note indicating that the recommendation is that children should receive a TDaP after age 11.
they got both! first time a tdap and second time pediarix which is dtap.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:30 pm
nchr wrote:
Yes, according to the TDaP catch up schedule they would need a TD in 6 months (third dose) and then at age 11 another TDaP is recommend.
recommended? or required? im only doing what I must

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
recommended? or required? im only doing what I must

Required because the vaccinations your children are getting now are to catch up. Currently, all children are given a TDaP at age 11, even those who were always vaccinated according to the schedule.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 5:42 pm
nchr wrote:
Required because the vaccinations your children are getting now are to catch up. Currently, all children are given a TDaP at age 11, even those who were always vaccinated according to the schedule.
I know that e/o age 11 gets tdap but why does it say
Children 7 years and older who are not fully immunized with the childhood
DTaP vaccine series should receive Tdap vaccine as the first dose in the
catch-up series; if additional doses are needed, use Td vaccine. If the first
dose was received before their first birthday, then 4 doses are required,
as long as the final dose was received at 4 years or older. If the first dose
was received on or after the first birthday, then 3 doses are required, as
long as the final dose was received at 4 years or older. A Tdap vaccine (or
incorrectly administered DTaP vaccine) received at 7 years or older will
meet the 6th grade Tdap requirement. and later it says
Students 11 years or older entering grades 6 through 12 are required to
have one dose of Tdap. A dose received at 7 years or older will meet
this requirement.
can you read the footnote on the bottom of the first link and show me where it says what you say?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 5:54 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I really feel for you Op!

I am so surprised to hear of all this confusion!
I would think a pediatrician would figure out a schedule and give it to you so you could book the necessary dates/appointments. As a parent with a trusted pediatrician I would certainly rely upon my dr. to do so in the best way possible.

hugs and hatzlocha

I think 7 and older unvaccinated is new territory for dr so not something they themselves are necessarily clear on.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 6:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know that e/o age 11 gets tdap but why does it say
Children 7 years and older who are not fully immunized with the childhood
DTaP vaccine series should receive Tdap vaccine as the first dose in the
catch-up series; if additional doses are needed, use Td vaccine. If the first
dose was received before their first birthday, then 4 doses are required,
as long as the final dose was received at 4 years or older. If the first dose
was received on or after the first birthday, then 3 doses are required, as
long as the final dose was received at 4 years or older. A Tdap vaccine (or
incorrectly administered DTaP vaccine) received at 7 years or older will
meet the 6th grade Tdap requirement. and later it says
Students 11 years or older entering grades 6 through 12 are required to
have one dose of Tdap. A dose received at 7 years or older will meet
this requirement.
can you read the footnote on the bottom of the first link and show me where it says what you say?

I read both links. I find it fascinating because the DOH and the CDC do not say the same thing. The DOH is saying if you get the Tdap at 7+, it will count as the 11 year old booster. The CDC is saying if you got it between ages 7 and 10, you will have to get it again at age 11.

We always followed the CDC guidelines in our office.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 6:27 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I'm not getting into this now because theres no point . Bottom line, you dont get to make your own choices if they affect the rest of the world /community . I cant just send my kids to school with a peanut butter sandwich because I have the right to make my own choices. If you live in a community or you live in a society with other human beings you vaccinate your kids ! Stating the truth is not rude and insulting . She endangered her kids, immunocompromised people , pregnant women and the elderly. Sorry for not being sympathetic to a person that put society in danger .

You can choose to believe the rhetoric that unvaccinated children are disease ridden but that doesn't make it true. Some of us actually do some critical thinking and come to other conclusions. We absolutely do get to make our own choices regarding the health of our children. Your thinking is so messed up.

FYI, she is discussing dtap which does nothing to protect your children if her children get it. Tetanus is a non-communicable disease and the diphtheria and pertussis part of the vaccine do not prevent transmission so your whole "bottom line" is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:08 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I'm not getting into this now because theres no point . Bottom line, you dont get to make your own choices if they affect the rest of the world /community . I cant just send my kids to school with a peanut butter sandwich because I have the right to make my own choices. If you live in a community or you live in a society with other human beings you vaccinate your kids ! Stating the truth is not rude and insulting . She endangered her kids, immunocompromised people , pregnant women and the elderly. Sorry for not being sympathetic to a person that put society in danger .

There is a reason no one liked either of your posts yet...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:18 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
You can choose to believe the rhetoric that unvaccinated children are disease ridden but that doesn't make it true. Some of us actually do some critical thinking and come to other conclusions. We absolutely do get to make our own choices regarding the health of our children. Your thinking is so messed up.

FYI, she is discussing dtap which does nothing to protect your children if her children get it. Tetanus is a non-communicable disease and the diphtheria and pertussis part of the vaccine do not prevent transmission so your whole "bottom line" is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Why do you think you absolutely do get to make health choices regarding your children?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:25 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Why do you think you absolutely do get to make health choices regarding your children?

You trust the government to make choices for you when they dont know your child?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:02 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
You trust the government to make choices for you when they dont know your child?

I said that?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I read both links. I find it fascinating because the DOH and the CDC do not say the same thing. The DOH is saying if you get the Tdap at 7+, it will count as the 11 year old booster. The CDC is saying if you got it between ages 7 and 10, you will have to get it again at age 11.

We always followed the CDC guidelines in our office.

now you see what im saying??? ridiculous! who can tell me whats the minimum necessary? btw there are quite a few other contradictions such as dtap for a 4-6 year old, doh says 3 doses if first one given after 1 but cdc says 4 doses. polio same thing.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:17 pm
I said that?

It sounded like you were questioning a mothers right to making her own health choices for her child.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 9:14 pm

Umm.. what??
I really hope its an attempt at humor. If it is, you failed miserably.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 9:15 pm
OP, I'm in the same boat but my drs office, school, and DoH are we working together. As far as I know. I'm almost done catching up on shots. Unbelievable how many I had to give in a short period of time because DoH demanded it. I will check my records and get back to you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:25 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
OP, I'm in the same boat but my drs office, school, and DoH are we working together. As far as I know. I'm almost done catching up on shots. Unbelievable how many I had to give in a short period of time because DoH demanded it. I will check my records and get back to you.
how did you get them to work together? a/th I can do to coordinate communication? I feel like e/th is my job here.
do you have a 7-10 year old kid ? cuz thats the ages that im confused about now. thanks in advance I appreciate your help

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:56 pm
Some of this I had to rely on my memory for so I hope its accurate.
This is for my 11 yr old previously completely unvaxed son. I have younger kids too but I dont have their records in front of me.
Beginning of July, received first mmr and varicella
Two weeks later, got first Tdap, ipv, and hepB.
Beginning of September, received meningitis vax. (6th grade requirement)
Early November: 2nd Tdap (I think! need to double check) and ipv.
Almost end of nov: 2nd mmr, varicella, hepB
In 6 weeks: 3rd hepB
In May: 3rd Td and ipv

The only reason I had to get all the boosters so fast is because nyc doh is auditing the school and demanded all boosters be done if they are due, even though the law the governor signed in said we have till June 2020. They threatened to expell my kids from school if the boosters are not given immediately. Even though our next appt for shots would have taken place in one more week. Even though according to the new law, all that is necessary to attend school is the first of each series and an appt card from the dr for the rest of the shots.
The nyc doh and nys doh are two diff entities that dont correlate. Therefore the nyc doh has its own free run of power. My ped is actually vocal about not agreeing with the doh. Nothing he can do though, the doh has taken away both his voice and opinion.
Yet if chv my child gets sick, I go to my ped and not the high and mighty doh.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
how did you get them to work together? a/th I can do to coordinate communication? I feel like e/th is my job here.
do you have a 7-10 year old kid ? cuz thats the ages that im confused about now. thanks in advance I appreciate your help

My ped's office coordinated everything. They were really amazing helping us to catch up. It was seamless.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:15 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
There is a reason no one liked either of your posts yet...

I am heart broken. How will I fall asleep tonight knowing that a bunch of anti vaxxers didnt like my post ?! Oh dear .. I am devastated.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:24 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

I know what dtap is . Yes, my thinking is messed up . You're right . Vaccines are terrible and if I choose not to vaccinate my kids it is my right and no one else can tell me what to do . I will send my kids to school when there is an outbreak . I dont care about my child's classmate that is immunocompromised and I dont care about my child's morah that's expecting. I get to make my own decisions based on the many articles that I've read online . I do what I think is right even if I have absolutely no scientific knowledge, even though I am not a doctor or scientist. What I read online and what my neighbor yenty tells me is the truth and all that matters. Besides , everyone knows that the polio vaccine is much worse than polio. Measles?! Pfft. The vaccine is much worse than the actual disease . I won't fall for the scare tactics. I will do what I feel is right because after all that's how life works. It's all about feelings and what I feel is right .
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics