Home

Does anyone live in Lakewood and send their girls elsewhere?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 3:08 pm
I’m ideally looking for somewhere else in NJ, that my daughters could come home everyday. I’m not looking to have them board. Basically we’re looking to move to Lakewood next year, and while I’m applying to Lakewood schools for my younger kids, my high schoolers aren’t interested.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 3:09 pm
Rinas Bais Yaakov in Highland Park/Edison area
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 3:11 pm
My daughter’s high school in Baltimore just got a few lakewood girls in November. My understanding is the other girls school in town did also...
Back to top

keym




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 3:15 pm
Baltimore is quite far from Lakewood. 2 1/2 hours each way WITHOUT traffic.
But Philadelphia is closer. Around 1 1/2 hours. And teachers do go from Lakewood to Philly.
Staten Island is significantly closer than Brooklyn so maybe something there.
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 3:29 pm
keym wrote:
Baltimore is quite far from Lakewood. 2 1/2 hours each way WITHOUT traffic.
But Philadelphia is closer. Around 1 1/2 hours. And teachers do go from Lakewood to Philly.
Staten Island is significantly closer than Brooklyn so maybe something there.

Correct. They board. I replied without reading the op clearly.
Back to top

doctorima




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 3:49 pm
No girl's high schools in Staten Island. I think Edison and Philly would be your best bets, or Passaic if you don't mind a longer commute.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 3:54 pm
Yes, there are Lakewood women who travel to and teach in Passaic, so that's also a possibility (but a longer commute.)

I've heard of girls going to Bruria.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Yes, there are Lakewood women who travel to and teach in Passaic, so that's also a possibility (but a longer commute.)

I've heard of girls going to Bruria.


My girls currently go to an OOT BY school. Would they be comfortable at Bruria?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:19 pm
doctorima wrote:
No girl's high schools in Staten Island. I think Edison and Philly would be your best bets, or Passaic if you don't mind a longer commute.


Is Passaic further away than Philly?
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My girls currently go to an OOT BY school. Would they be comfortable at Bruria?


Depending on what they are like...Bruria might have a crowd that is more modern than they are. Rinas BY might be a better choice.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is Passaic further away than Philly?


depends where in Philly....and traffic conditions on the turnpike....they might be about the same.

Edison is closer, I think.
Back to top

mig100




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:22 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Rinas Bais Yaakov in Highland Park/Edison area


Really girls from Lakewood go There? I remember when that school.opened with about 10 girls a grade so I find that interesting. How big is it?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 4:26 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Depending on what they are like...Bruria might have a crowd that is more modern than they are. Rinas BY might be a better choice.


We’re out of town yeshivish. My girls have modern girls in their classes, but they also have girls whose fathers are in kollel. A real mix.
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 5:19 pm
mig100 wrote:
Really girls from Lakewood go There? I remember when that school.opened with about 10 girls a grade so I find that interesting. How big is it?

They don’t like taking Lakewood girls. At least the elementary school doesn’t...
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 5:24 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
They don’t like taking Lakewood girls. At least the elementary school doesn’t...


I guess it can’t hurt to try. My girls aren’t Lakewood girls, and probably won’t be. They’re in high school and have never lived there.
Back to top

penguin




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 5:34 pm
Ilan High School in Deal is closer than anything mentioned so far.
Back to top

benny




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:10 pm
Passaic takes almost 2 hours in the morning. There are some teachers from Lakewood but no students.
Back to top

amother




Periwinkle
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We’re out of town yeshivish. My girls have modern girls in their classes, but they also have girls whose fathers are in kollel. A real mix.


Bruriah would probably be a great fit for them.
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:40 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Bruriah would probably be a great fit for them.

Bruriah is definitely not a great fit for anyone who would describe themselves as yeshivish, even OOT.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Lakewood Schools - Chassidish
by amother
9 Today at 1:46 am View last post
Anyone have a daughter in Bais Faiga- 7th grade?
by amother
21 Yesterday at 10:29 pm View last post
AP Manager/accountant hourly pay lakewood
by amother
5 Yesterday at 10:15 pm View last post
Where did you grow up and where do you live now
by amother
102 Yesterday at 8:31 pm View last post
Tent Gemach Lakewood
by amother
1 Yesterday at 1:04 pm View last post