Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Retention bonus and stock options questions

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 10:24 am
It looks like the company I’ve worked for many years may be sold.

They are offering me a retention bonus to stay - is there any reason to ever not sign it? Or to be wary? Do I just take what they offer?

Also, I was offered stock options years ago at this company - some are vested by now. Is it smart now to excersize the vested stock options before a company is sold (it will cost me a large sum now)? Do I lose the options once a company is sold or do they remain my option? What typically happens?
I can ask but I don’t want to sound like a total fool before I have a basic idea.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 10:55 am
regarding the bonus - it shouldn't hurt you to counter. Of course look at the terms attached to the bonus - and make sure you are comfortable... you are taking a risk that you may really dislike working for the company after it is sold - and find yourself stuck.

Regarding the stock options - you'll need to read the term sheet on the options as a start. Professional advice is a good idea here.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:11 am
Thanks.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for responding

I’m so confused about the stock options. The company buying trades at about the amount of my options. Not sure what makes sense or if I lose it once sold - don’t understand from docs.

It doesn’t look like I’ll get rich off of it anyways. :/

Good luck Smile

Is your company currently public?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:43 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Good luck Smile

Is your company currently public?

No

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 3:22 pm
If you sign a retention bonus does that sort of lock in your salary because they assume you won’t leave?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 3:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you sign a retention bonus does that sort of lock in your salary because they assume you won’t leave?

Is this retention bonus less than what you thought your next salary bump would be?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:44 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Is this retention bonus less than what you thought your next salary bump would be?

Good point.
It’s significantly more. I just see salary increase as long term. Like if I normally get 5% end of year. Or some times 10% if I push it adds up over the years so it’s really cumulative .

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 4:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Good point.
It’s significantly more. I just see salary increase as long term. Like if I normally get 5% end of year. Or some times 10% if I push it adds up over the years so it’s really cumulative .

Yes - it is cumulative - but do you really want to play the long game on this?

Of course when it comes to raise time you say "I must be a valuable worker or you wouldn't have incentivised me to stay. Please give me my raise".

Do you have a lawyer who can look this over for you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics