Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Jodie/Jody
1  2  3  Next

hannah22

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:58 pm
What do you think of the name Jodie/Jody for a girl? I think it's pretty and sweet.
Also it is a derivative of Judith/Judy so it is also a Hebrew name, as a girl I knew from school named Jodie has the Hebrew name Judith (female form of Judah/Yehudah)

hodeez

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:59 pm
Im not such a fan, but what matters is that you like it!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:00 pm
It is slang for a male civilian whom military wives cheat with, so I wouldn't use it.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:03 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
It is slang for a male civilian whom military wives cheat with, so I wouldn't use it.

I don't think this is common knowledge I would spell it jody and not jodie

agreer

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 2:21 pm
I don't love it.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 2:24 pm
It's spelled Jodie. Like Jodie Sweeten.
Doesn't have a jewish ring to it.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 2:26 pm
I went to school with two Jody’s
Fifty years ago

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 2:51 pm
Meh. Doesn’t do anything for me. Sounds rather g0yish.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 2:54 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
It's spelled Jodie. Like Jodie Sweeten.
Doesn't have a jewish ring to it.

It can be spelled JODY, JODI or JODIE.

I do like the name. Its not all that common, but it is a sweet name.

B'shaa tova.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 2:55 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I went to school with two Jody’s
Fifty years ago

Yes, and in those days, Emily and Max and Ben and all of those uber-common names of today were unheard of, or were your elderly uncle and aunt.

Old names make comebacks.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 2:56 pm
One of my best friends has this name so I have positive associations. I think it's so sweet.

Busy@mom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 2:59 pm
I love that this name although I do agree that it doesn’t have a Jewish ring to it

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 3:23 pm
It can also be spelled Jodi.

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 3:25 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Yes, and in those days, Emily and Max and Ben and all of those uber-common names of today were unheard of, or were your elderly uncle and aunt.

Old names make comebacks.

I dont think Max and Ben are still used. Emily is not uber popular either - Amelia maybe. But people should be able to use whatever they like assuming it is not offensive (I.e. fowl language etc )

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 3:25 pm
Jody and Buffy were boy and girl twins on the show family affair I think Jody was a boy

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 3:59 pm
nchr wrote:
I dont think Max and Ben are still used. Emily is not uber popular either - Amelia maybe. But people should be able to use whatever they like assuming it is not offensive (I.e. fowl language etc )

All those names are actually trendy again. I work in a public school and can't begin to count how many kids named Max, Ben, and Amelia I've worked with. Including just this year. Plenty of Emily's too! The very trendiest and latest is using a last name as a first name, for both girls and boys.
Now I don't think I've had any students named Jody/Jodie but I wouldn't think it's quite as dated as a name like Jennifer or Jessica.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:13 pm
I like Jodie; I think it sounds so cute. Sounds Jewish to me also - as you said it’s derived from Judith/Yehudis.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:20 pm
nchr wrote:

According to the SSA, Benjamin is the 6th most popular name for boys in the US. Max is 89 -- above David.

In any case, the point is that names cycle.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:25 pm
So true.
Who would have ever thought that the names Silas or Sadie would make a comeback?? I've come across more than a few at work!

Librarian

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:17 pm
Jodie Foster, anyone??
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names