Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Need to get 2.5 yr old to sleep in bed before baby comes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:09 pm
I need to get my 2.5 yo to sleep in his own bed (preferably in his big brother's room) before the new baby comes, in a bit over two months iy"H.
How????
He loves his crib!

ohmygosh

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:12 pm
Get him special linen (cars, trucks etc). Get him a special stuffed animal that he can only have in his bed. Make a big deal about what a big boy he is.

ddmom

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:05 pm
If he loves his crib, don't do it!!
It's really the safest place for kids that age!
Get a portacrib/pack n play/bassinet for your newborn and you'll switch when he's ready in a few months!!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:07 pm
Why can’t he stay in he crib? What’s the issue?

shanarishona

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 12:05 am
Keep him in crib

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 12:15 am
Don't mean to hijack but I have the same problem...but my big boy is 3.5+ and will IY"H be 4 when baby comes. He has very adamantly said he does NOT want a big boy bed. We turned his crib into a toddler bed and whenever I talk about the big boy bed, he asks me to turn his toddler bed back into a crib.

So to get back to OP... why do you think her big boy will be ready in 6 months while the baby's in a pack 'n' play? My son is older and isn't ready.

Now back to me... When his crib was a full crib, he NEVER climbed out by himself except for once. I think he realized he could do it and never did it again. However, he would climb into his crib. Now that he's in a toddler bed he NEVER comes out by himself in the morning. He only calls for me and waits till I come in.

We used to have a bed in his room. I did get him special policeman linen and he was excited, but he slept in it once and didn't want to do it again. Then he started taking the linen off and mattress/pillows off and making "slides" and "clubhouses" with it, so we took the bed out.

Oh, yeah...and he's my older boy. I don't really want to have 3 cribs in our house!

Any ideas for me as well as OP?

ectomorph

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 1:01 am
I have a 5 yo in a pack and play and 3 yo in a crib. They have beautiful toddler beds but simply cannot sleep in them. I'm figuring that they'll sleep in a real bed before we take them to the chuppa Wink

ectomorph

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 1:02 am
So we in practice have at least 3 cribs currently. It's not such a terrible fate.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 1:09 am
I guess I'm more laid back. I've had several kids in pack n' plays at the same time, and I don't really care. So what if there's a crib or two in several bedrooms?

Just move your 2.5 year olds's crib to his older brother's room.

There's nothing developmentally stunting about sleeping in a crib. Some kids feel more secure that way. They'll outgrow it eventually.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 9:33 am
Keep him in his crib as long as you can if he wants it, he’s still so young! Get a porta-crib for the newborn. Once they switch to a bed so young, bedtime is much harder. They constantly come out of bed and come out early in morning too, as soon as they’re up. (found my daughter once rummaging around in the bathroom in middle of the night...)

aliavi

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 9:37 am
If you are able to make the switch it’s very possible he would revert once the new baby comes if he’s so resistant.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 10:00 am
I agree with others to leave him in the crib. My kids sleep in a crib at least till 4 years old. It doesn't bother me at all. 2.5 is still a baby, I wouldn't want such a young child in a bed.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:24 pm
Leave him in his crib! He needs it!
So cruel to make him move to a bed because you think it’s more convenient for you. Let him be comfortable for another year.. he’s a baby... not his fault that you decided to have another one. No need to displace him.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:34 pm
It will be traumatic psychologically when the infant arrives and his position as baby is displaced and your time is spent nurturing an infant.

Don't add to the trauma by abruptly taking away his crib and attempting to make the loss appear to be his gain by saying this is what "big boys" do. The reality is that he is still a baby at 2.5 and wants to remain a baby - doubly or triply so when the new baby arrives.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:53 pm
I know this will sound trivial but his crib is in the room set up to be a nursery. It's all soft colors, the closets and drawers are baby oriented. There's a glider so I can nurse the baby at night.

I'd like him to move into his brother's room so that the baby can learn how to sleep right away, so I can nurse privately, so the baby isn't so exposed to the germs he picks up in playgroup...
I'd also like the baby to have the same experience with a quality crib vs poor quality pack n play. I still have about 10 weeks; maybe maybe something will change by then?
Also, I'm going to have baby nurse who will need to sleep in the room- my 2.5 year old probably won't want to sleep in the same room as the nurse and newborn... nor do I want him too.

tichellady

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:02 pm
Can you move him with the crib into his brothers room? The baby needs to be in a bassinet in the beginning anyways. The bassinet insert to the pack n play is great. I’m sorry things aren’t working out how you want but I don’t think rushing him will work out well. Good luck

ectomorph

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:05 pm
2.5 is a baby! Move glider to the other room.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:06 pm
ectomorph wrote:
2.5 is a baby! Move glider to the other room.

The only place for newborn to sleep is the room where 2.5 yr old currently sleeps. It's right next to my room, and I need to hear the baby at night especially on shabbos when there is no monitor.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:08 pm
tichellady wrote:
Can you move him with the crib into his brothers room? The baby needs to be in a bassinet in the beginning anyways. The bassinet insert to the pack n play is great. I’m sorry things aren’t working out how you want but I don’t think rushing him will work out well. Good luck

Crib is too big to fit in brother's room.
My babies have far been born on the large side (8- almost ten pounds) and grew out of bassinet very quickly.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:16 pm
Nothing at all wrong with newborn in bassinet or pack n play for the first 2-3 months.
I never heard of putting a newborn in his own room for the first few weeks... they need to be close by when they are so tiny.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics