Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Dd getting married. How many sheitels to buy?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 4:54 pm
How many sheitels should I buy her?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 5:01 pm
If she plans to wear one every day then one for shabbos and one for the week is a good start. If that's not affordable it's totally fine to get only one. More than two is really not necessary, especially since most women end up figuring out their preferences only once they have some shaitel wearing experience.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 5:07 pm
It depends on what she will need.

My mother bought me a nice sheitel for Shabbos/Yom Tov/simchas that requires professional care and an everyday one I could easily wash and style myself plus a hat fall. I was in school at the time and needed more casual headgear most of the time but at least once a week I needed to dress professionally. We got good quality wigs that I wore for almost 10 years.

mommydearest654

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 5:17 pm
I would get a comfy weekday one, a nicer one for shabbos/yom tov/ weddings and a fall.

happyone

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 5:24 pm
I bought 3. one dressy to set aside for simchas. 2 for shabbos/everyday one more comfy and really can only be worn weekday.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 5:31 pm
I think 2 is enough. I bought myself a third (a fall) when I was married 2.5 years. I felt that I was a more knowledgeable and educated customer when I bought the third-I had already been wearing wigs for a while so I knew what felt comfortable and what I want/didn't want in a wig.

paperflowers

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 6:44 pm
Two is enough but if you can afford three it’s nice. I got a sheitel and a fall. It’s fine, but if I ever don’t feel like wearing an extra layer during the week, I end up going with my sheitel, so it feels less special for Shabbos.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 6:47 pm
Two is enough, but 3 is better if you can afford. Go with a more expensive one for the main two and a cheaper one for the 3rd. You can do either a fall/pony for the third. Many people I know got a 3rd pony on Ali.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 6:49 pm
One and a fall. She doesn't know what she will like after wearing them for a while.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 6:49 pm
Buy two (weekday and shabbos) and maybe a fall. No need to go overboard because she really can’t know yet what she wants and needs so it’s better to wait a year or so.

applesbananas

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 6:57 pm
Im a SM. If you can afford it your daughter will greatly appreciate 2 wigs and a fall. If finances are tight she will be more than fine with 2.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:09 pm
Wow. Alternate universe here.

BH can afford more but 1 Shaitel is plenty to start with. After a year I got another one and was better able to know what I liked.

Hatemywig

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:35 pm
I would suggest buying her one, and if you can swing it financially, help her purchase a second one a few months after she's married. This way, she will have more of an idea what style she wants and what she feels comfortable with.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:46 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Wow. Alternate universe here.

BH can afford more but 1 Shaitel is plenty to start with. After a year I got another one and was better able to know what I liked.

How do you manage with one?
My sheitels get worn and natty and sometimes smelly (if I wear it into a takeout store). I need my shabbos sheitel to feel fresh and clean, not like it sweated on my head all week!
I can't afford another sheitel so for now I wear a tichel during the week and save my sheitel for shabbos.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:55 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
How do you manage with one?
My sheitels get worn and natty and sometimes smelly (if I wear it into a takeout store). I need my shabbos sheitel to feel fresh and clean, not like it sweated on my head all week!
I can't afford another sheitel so for now I wear a tichel during the week and save my sheitel for shabbos.

I never thought about it and certainly never noticed any smell (though I don’t go into takeout stores)

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:59 pm
My mother bought me two. One for Shabbos, and one for every day that I was able to wear down or in a pony. However, she paid for most of a new shaitel for me, when I was married just over a year. And I knew more of what I wanted.
For my sisters, she bought one good one and one cheap fall, and also helped them buy another one about a year after they got married when they knew more of what they wanted.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 8:58 pm
The important question is, what are her needs? Do you live in a community where she will need to wear a shaital everyday? If so, I would say 2 and get a 3rd maybe a year later. If she will be wearing hats/scarves/.... as well or most of the week, then 1 is fine until she finds her comfort and style. When I got married, my parents bought me 1. During the week, to school and the supermarket I wore a hat. If I was getting dressed I wore the hair. I was married almost 3 years before I got a second one. I still don't wear hair daily, I wear a shmatta to work/carpool/shoprite and hair when I am going to Shul, a simcha, have a meeting or going somewhere that I want to look presentable.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:13 pm
two -- wearing one every day and one for shabbos/YT

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:32 am
One. That's all she needs at the beginning.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:09 am
At least 2. But getting the second one a few months after marriage is a good plan. If your daughter likes to exercise she may want a third very cheap one for that. (I have a sheital I use for exercising and walking and I don't care if it gets rained on or sweaty) If she will wear headscarves or a hat for that purpose no need for that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics