Home

Gift for simple Sister In law
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 9:56 am
My sister in law did me a favor and watched my baby a couple of times (during the day for a bunch of hours, not at night when she was sleeping.)

I want to get her a gift but I'm not sure what. She is very simple and sweet and doesn't really like pretty or new stuff. (or at least that's how it seems to me lol)

I know I would appreciate a gift certificate to a jewelry store, a new cookbook or novel, a bottle of perfume, expensive chocolates, a good coffee maker, fancy gloves, a nice pocketbook etc.....

But I don't think she would really appreciate any of the above.

My husband suggested buying lunch for her and her family, (bagel sandwiches, danishes, ice coffee) because that's something they never do, but I feel like that's cheap and a little embarrassing. Anyways, I want to get something for her specifically to enjoy, not the whole family.

Any ideas?
Back to top

avrahamama




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:12 am
I think sending over a take out dinner would be nice. But if you want to do something specific to her, maybe a gift certificate to a hosiery type place. Where she can get herself any staple items she needs/wants.
Back to top

Teomima




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:16 am
I love gifts that are shared time and experiences. Take her out to a wine and painting event, a bead shop that allows you to custom design and build a necklace, or a fun activity like a show or an escape room.
Back to top

amother




Green
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:19 am
Maybe a pair of comfy uggs, a nice scarf, something for the house.
I'm sure deep down she will appreciate such gifts.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:21 am
My SIL once bought me a large Cuisinart pot as a gift for watching her baby. It was a fantastic gift and it’s still my favorite pot. This was 13 yrs ago and it’s still perfect and being used all the time.
Back to top

meyerlemon44




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:24 am
avrahamama wrote:
I think sending over a take out dinner would be nice. But if you want to do something specific to her, maybe a gift certificate to a hosiery type place. Where she can get herself any staple items she needs/wants.


I think sending over dinner is very nice. Maybe coordinate with her husband so it's still a surprise for her but contains food she likes and doesn't mess with her cooking schedule too much.
Back to top

amother




Mustard
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My sister in law did me a favor and watched my baby a couple of times (during the day for a bunch of hours, not at night when she was sleeping.)

I want to get her a gift but I'm not sure what. She is very simple and sweet and doesn't really like pretty or new stuff. (or at least that's how it seems to me lol)

I know I would appreciate a gift certificate to a jewelry store, a new cookbook or novel, a bottle of perfume, expensive chocolates, a good coffee maker, fancy gloves, a nice pocketbook etc.....

But I don't think she would really appreciate any of the above.

My husband suggested buying lunch for her and her family, (bagel sandwiches, danishes, ice coffee) because that's something they never do, but I feel like that's cheap and a little embarrassing. Anyways, I want to get something for her specifically to enjoy, not the whole family.

Any ideas?


I'm simple and I think your dhs idea is nice and practical. If you are saying that she wouldn't want a new cookbook, perfume...etc then she probably would appreciate a practical gift like a nice lunch for her kids which she doesn't get to do and she will be happy (and get joy) that her kids get enjoyment from it.

I drove ppl every day(not as a job) and one person gave me an expensive candy/chocolate platter while another gave me a gas card. The gas card is practical and useful. I'd rather a nice lunch for my kids than a candy platter or...

So, my personal opinion is maybe your dhs idea is the best for her. If you think it is too cheap"", then maybe do it once and then a few weeks later again.
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:25 am
What about a gift certificate to a fancy restaurant that she can enjoy with her husband?
And maybe a coupon that you will babysit (if she needs that) while they go out.
Back to top

amother




Bronze
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:39 am
I would think something functional and practical. Like a pizza maker or Betty Crocker.
You can also do a visa gift card
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:47 am
A set of linen? A tablecloth? certificate to a photographer to take pics of her kids?

Maybe she does enjoy nice things but can't afford them
Back to top

amother




Apricot
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:51 am
Is there a way to gift her extra cleaning help for Pesach? Would she appreciates that?
Back to top

amother




Papaya
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:52 am
I'm also super simple and don't enjoy nice things.
However, whenever someone does get me something really nice I get tons of compliments, and then I feel good wearing it.
I like the idea of Uggs slippers, or a scarf, or maybe a restaurant/spa gift card.
Back to top

teachkids




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 11:19 am
I would do a gift card to a restaurant that they can do take out dinner from for the whole family or enjoy just the two of them. Also nice are a practical serving piece or nice sweater if you know her size and taste.
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:05 pm
Please don’t call people “simple” as that is generally understood as “simpleminded” or not too bright. Rather say they prefer simple things or live a simple lifestyle.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:10 pm
Thanks so much everyone for your ideas!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:11 pm
zaq wrote:
Please don’t call people “simple” as that is generally understood as “simpleminded” or not too bright. Rather say they prefer simple things or live a simple lifestyle.


Lol ok I hear you. Can you suggest another 1-word description I can use in my subject line? I'll edit it.
Back to top

amother




Green
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:15 pm
Oh gosh, there's nothing wrong with using the word simple! People today's day find issue with every word used to describe a person. I'm a simple person. I dress simple, my kids are dressed simple. What's wrong with that????
I do appreciate nice gifts though.
Back to top

BetsyTacy




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol ok I hear you. Can you suggest another 1-word description I can use in my subject line? I'll edit it.


Does down-to-earth count as 1 word if you use dashes?
Back to top

berryshortcake




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:16 pm
Maybe a membership to a museum or zoo? This way she can enjoy it for an entire year.
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post  Mon, Dec 30 2019, 6:24 pm
All great ideas!

But, wow, my sister in law has never done anything for me other than say thank you for the many times I've watched her kids! And, no, she doesn't watch mine to reciprocate (though I have never asked)
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Simple easy recipe for orzo. 11 Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:06 pm View last post
Birthday gift for my 6 yo DD
by amother
4 Thu, Jun 04 2020, 2:57 pm View last post
Thank you Gift for a man
by amother
11 Sun, May 31 2020, 10:01 pm View last post
Birthday gift for 6 year old boy
by amother
0 Sun, May 31 2020, 12:07 am View last post
Teacher gift that includes visa card
by amother
0 Wed, May 27 2020, 2:19 pm View last post

Jump to: