Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Yeshivish family moving to Boro Park; bad idea?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:41 am
Because of the chinuch options for special needs kids in NY, we're thinking about moving to Boro Park. But from what I've seen, it's become very chassidish compared to how it used to be. Anyone living there currently and can give me advice? If we moved would there maybe be issues with neighbors not wanting my kids to play with their kids? We have filtered internet (the kids aren't allowed to use it except my older kids sometimes shop on Amazon or Ali with a parent sitting next to them supervising), and we allow occasional kosher videos. Our boys like sports and my husband takes them to a baseball game sometimes. Would we do okay in Boro Park or better to look at other options?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:03 am
It's all about finding the right neighbors. Daven to Hashem to send you to the right block and surround you with the right people.

But maybe Kensington, which is walkable to BP, might be a better fit in general.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:21 am
No, I don’t think your kids would fit into bp. It’s 99% chassidish. There are neighborhoods close by that you should consider. Kensington, Flatbush... it’s only minutes away and you will not be the odd man out. Don’t do it to your kids.

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:39 am
Kensington makes more sense

abound

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 7:13 am
also bensonhurst, but I can think of 5 yeshivish families off the top of my head that live in BP, some do talk about moving though.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 7:56 am
Please PM me we are thinking of the same. Maybe we'll be friends Smile

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
No, I don’t think your kids would fit into bp. It’s 99% chassidish. There are neighborhoods close by that you should consider. Kensington, Flatbush... it’s only minutes away and you will not be the odd man out. Don’t do it to your kids.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:06 am
I have a distant relative living in Kensington and I've visited them a few times. I saw lots of non-Jews walking their dogs, and just a handful of Yidden. Anyone have any idea what the percentage of frum families is there? (This relative isn't frum.)

Flatbush I had this impression of it based on girls I knew in seminary, that it wouldn't be a good fit for us since we're more the simple type. Am I wrong about that? I've gone shopping there and it's seemed like a nice down to earth neighborhood, so I'm probably wrong thinking it's more fancy type.

I have such nice memories of going to Boro Park for shopping and restaurants when I was little! But it sounds like I should really cross it off my list. Thanks for the advice. It's so helpful!

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:10 am
watergirl wrote:
Will the children on the block really not play with the other children who are just as frum but dress differently? Is that what we are teaching our kids these days? What kind of adults will they turn into?

Not as a deliberate decision. Children tend to gravitate to those who go to the same school as them, or speak yiddish etc. We have modern to Ultra chassidish on our block in Kensington. We all mingle nicely -adults and kids. But once the kids get a bit older, they do stick to those with the most similar chinuch and common interests.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:12 am
Quote:
Please PM me we are thinking of the same. Maybe we'll be friends Smile

Aw thanks that's so nice of you! If we make a solid decision I'll PM you! It would be nice to meet someone who's also new to a neighborhood and maybe has some of the same challenges we do.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:14 am
OP, would you consider Monsey or the surrounding area's?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:16 am
OP which schools will your children be attending? Maybe we can help you figure out where to look for housing. Make sure the school you are sending to will have transportation from the home you choose.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:20 am
BP is such a mix and it’s a lot live and let live.
I think you’ll feel comfortable but don’t expect ultra friendliness here.
Everybody minds their own business mostly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:21 am
Quote:

I think most of the good options for special needs kids are in Brooklyn though. We have close family in Monsey and it's a tempting option, but probably not practical.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:32 am
Oh, I don't know why I thought there are great options for special needs in Monsey.
There isn't such a big yeshivish community in Brooklyn. It's either Lakewood or Monsey that have the biggest yeshivish communities in tri state area.
Good luck!

Reality

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:35 am
Kensington is a very yeshivish neighborhood. Depending on the block, some are pretty much all frum. The next block over might be very arab.

In Boro Park itself, on the outskirts in the low 20's avenues and high 50's low 60's streets is way less chasidish. But those families maybe older than yours.

Stars

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:41 am
There are good schools for special needs children in Monsey but you might have a hard time finding schools who will accept your other children. Do not move anywhere, even to bp, without having each of your kids accepted to a school.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:44 am
Have you looked into Marine Park? There are yeshivish families there and other types too

Reality

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:51 am
If OP is very yeshivish I don't think she would feel so at home in Marine Park.

As far as schools, I wouldn't fear monger about getting into Brooklyn schools. The yeshivish crowd has shrunk tremendously in Brooklyn. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of yeshivish families. It means either they are a little older and bought a house a while ago or they are younger and still renting with plans to move. So while the schools might not act desperate, most schools will be happy to take a typical yeshivish family. Concentrate on schools that currently have a lower enrollment and everything should be fine!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 9:58 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

I don't know what the special needs are but overall Monsey is definitely not the place to move to for special needs education.
Brooklyn has way more from my understanding(currently homeschooling in Monsey for this reason).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries