Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
PitBull bites child
Previous  1  2  3  Next

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:49 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I don't know where in Monsey you live, but in many areas, especially developments and areas with multi family housing, kids being outside unsupervised is the norm.
But I really didn't know an older sister was watching the child in this case. I'm too scared to watch the video.

Children SHOULD play outside unsupervised in front of their houses.
That is NORMAL and children who are NOT allowed to do so are growing
up deprived. Snowflakes don't make successful adults. Not physically or
mentally healthy.

meme6

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:51 am
Blessing1 wrote:
No, there isn't always older siblings watching younger. I live in Monsey long enough to witness that. My in laws live in a development where kids are hefker. I've seen 5 year olds waiting for busses and coming home alone.

And the mothers are by the window or doors they aren’t alone.

Let’s go back to this story the child was with the older sister who protected her brother which ultimately helped save his life!

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:55 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Children SHOULD play outside unsupervised in front of their houses.
That is NORMAL and children who are NOT allowed to do so are growing
up deprived. Snowflakes don't make successful adults. Not physically or
mentally healthy.

No, toddlers should NOT be outside unattended!! It takes seconds for a toddler to go from the front of the house to the road.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:55 am
meme6 wrote:
And the mothers are by the window or doors they aren’t alone.

Let’s go back to this story the child was with the older sister who protected her brother which ultimately helped save his life!

A mother by the window isn't sufficient supervision for little kids.

gingertop

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:03 am
This is a really weird hill to die on, especially because an adult would not have done any better in the face of an aggressive pit bull and the child was being watched in what is normal type of supervision. We can't prevent every possible incident.

r1

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:05 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I don't know where in Monsey you live, but in many areas, especially developments and areas with multi family housing, kids being outside unsupervised is the norm.
But I really didn't know an older sister was watching the child in this case. I'm too scared to watch the video.

I don’t know where you live. I live in a development and have siblings in two others. Absolutely not the norm. Not in the summer or Shabbos afternoon or anytime. There was one dysfunctional family who’s 8 year old would take out the kids but other than that nope!

meme6

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:08 am
r1 wrote:
I don’t know where you live. I live in a development and have siblings in two others. Absolutely not the norm. Not in the summer or Shabbos afternoon or anytime. There was one dysfunctional family who’s 8 year old would take out the kids but other than that nope!

Exactly I never saw toddlers alone etc I live center monsey and only lived in developments yes in monsey the 10 year olds are way more competent then older kids in other places cause they have a bunch of younger siblings!

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:27 am
The 12 year old sister saved her baby sibling's life. If the pit bull would've been able to snatch the baby completely, this story would have had a much sadder ending.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 2:18 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
No, toddlers should NOT be outside unattended!! It takes seconds for a toddler to go from the front of the house to the road.

I said CHILDREN, not toddlers. And the baby was not unattended - his 12 y.o. sister saved his life.

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 2:42 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
No, there isn't always older siblings watching younger. I live in Monsey long enough to witness that. My in laws live in a development where kids are hefker. I've seen 5 year olds waiting for busses and coming home alone.

I am not sure why the posters are gaslighting in this thread. Maybe the disingenuous posts are because they don't want to make frum people look bad. Better you don't say anything than make someone look crazy. I was not going to say anything, but it's unfair what is being done to someone telling the truth.

I constantly see very young children unattended playing in the street. They get off the bus by themselves. I don't know any busy housewives that sit and stare out the window while their children are in the street. They are busy with their other work. I can give litany of injuries that young kids suffered because they were unwatched.

I also am not sure that I would allow my baby outside the house without an adult where there is a known dangerous dog. I am not blaming the victim, but extra caution needs to be used when there is a vicious dog. We can all learn from this. This is the second attack I heard of in that general area.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:05 pm
Squishy wrote:

I also am not sure that I would allow my baby outside the house without an adult where there is a known dangerous dog. I am not blaming the victim, but extra caution needs to be used when there is a vicious dog. We can all learn from this. This is the second attack I heard of in that general area.

That changes everything. People knew that a dangerous dog was on the loose, and they let their kids play outside anyway?

IMHO, the person everyone should be blaming is the dog owner. It's not even the dog's fault, because the dog wasn't on a leash or being otherwise trained to obey. Sadly, the dog will pay the ultimate price for his owner's stupidity.

Bad dog owners give all other dog owners a bad reputation. I really hope the owner gets in a ton of trouble for this. He'll probably just pay a fine and lose his dog, but I think jail time would be appropriate. Letting a dog like that run around, is like leaving a loaded gun on a playground. It's a horrible accident waiting to happen. Crying

sky

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:06 pm
That 12 yr old girl is a hero!

meme6

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
That changes everything. People knew that a dangerous dog was on the loose, and they let their kids play outside anyway?

IMHO, the person everyone should be blaming is the dog owner. It's not even the dog's fault, because the dog wasn't on a leash or being otherwise trained to obey. Sadly, the dog will pay the ultimate price for his owner's stupidity.

Bad dog owners give all other dog owners a bad reputation. I really hope the owner gets in a ton of trouble for this. He'll probably just pay a fine and lose his dog, but I think jail time would be appropriate. Letting a dog like that run around, is like leaving a loaded gun on a playground. It's a horrible accident waiting to happen. Crying

So the other dog was loose in the summer the PD ignored it! This was actually a different dog the owner was located and he was from haverstraw. They pressed charges against him.

Btw all is assumptions for all you know the mom was heading out and sent these two before her do we actually know? People need to live!

But we do know that the sister saved her brothers life!!!

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 7:51 pm
meme6 wrote:
So the other dog was loose in the summer the PD ignored it! This was actually a different dog the owner was located and he was from haverstraw. They pressed charges against him.

Btw all is assumptions for all you know the mom was heading out and sent these two before her do we actually know? People need to live!

What we do know is:
"Neighbors had complained for months to police about the dog, Hamodia reports."

When there is a known vicious dog running loose in the neighborhood, you don't send your kids out to wait for the mom. You don't send them out by themselves. It doesn't matter that it was a different vicious dog that attacked the children.

meme6

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:04 pm
Squishy wrote:
What we do know is:
"Neighbors had complained for months to police about the dog, Hamodia reports."

When there is a known vicious dog running loose in the neighborhood, you don't send your kids out to wait for the mom. You don't send them out by themselves. It doesn't matter that it was a different vicious dog that attacked the children.

Let me tell you again it was not the same dog!!!

And also no one is perfect you tell the kid take your brother to the car I’m coming do you think every time you think of the dog and keep all your kids in the house to walk out the same time! You seem to be the perfect person and will never do anything wrong ever! Please be realistic and people need to live!

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:18 pm
meme6 wrote:

I don't get how the dog got all the way from Haverstraw till Monsey and decided to attack in Monsey.
There's a dog in the neighborhood that the neighbors have been complaining about for a while.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:19 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

How are you sure they are 5?
They might be 6 or 7. or a short 8.
At a certain age, mothers don't have to wait outside anymore for their kids' buses. especially if there's also a baby and a toddler and a 4 yr old who are at home and she'd have to either bundle them all up and wait outside, or leave them all alone inside. Neither of which are great options.

Plonis

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:26 pm
Remember that most of us have been taught that if you stand still, a dog won't attack you. Without that, most of us would have a legitimate fear of dogs.

Unfortunately, that is untrue for a pitbull that snaps, and unfortunately there's no way to predict which pitbull will snap (despite owners claiming that well-trained pits don't; data does not support that - more than one pitbull has killed its owner).

Expecting that an entire city should remain indoors unless an adult strong enough to restrain a pitbull is around (I'm not one of those) is entirely unrealistic. Should I never go outside in Monsey because a pitbull might be on the loose?

Can a mother not leave an 8-year old on the swingset in her backyard for 2 minutes while she goes inside to use the restroom?

Not everything that happens to a child is someone's fault. Even helicopter children are injured. Freak accidents don't make everything unsafe.

I wish New York didn't ban BSL (breed specific laws), which could make pitbulls and similar breeds illegal.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:32 pm
People should be allowed to have pitbulls as long as they are always chained.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:42 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
How are you sure they are 5?
They might be 6 or 7. or a short 8.
At a certain age, mothers don't have to wait outside anymore for their kids' buses. especially if there's also a baby and a toddler and a 4 yr old who are at home and she'd have to either bundle them all up and wait outside, or leave them all alone inside. Neither of which are great options.

I have plenty of 5 year old neighbors that wait for the bus by themselves. And I live on a dead end so kids have to wait by the corner and the mother has no idea if the child got on the bus. One mom even goes to work and her 5 year old son is running amok till the bus comes. I think that with all that's been going on lately, even older kids shouldn't be waiting alone. We shouldn't be making ourselves such easy targets.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics