Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
The Painful Rejections of Lakewood Schools
  Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:31 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
How are there huge class sizes going to be managed with social distancing /6 feet between children?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

You’re kidding right?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:56 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

You’re kidding right?

No, I am serious. We have protocols in place, lucite dividers between desks, a dozen page document outlining the new protocol and require a signature of adherence. This is serious and we don't want the schools to need to close.

But then again I don't live in the great Lakewood/Brooklyn/Monsey world where everyone is immune. I am a lowly MO woman from Teaneck.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:11 pm
No, I am serious. We have protocols in place, lucite dividers between desks, a dozen page document outlining the new protocol and require a signature of adherence. This is serious and we don't want the schools to need to close.

But then again I don't live in the great Lakewood/Brooklyn/Monsey world where everyone is immune. I am a lowly MO woman from Teaneck.

They won’t be social distancing. And from what I gather, most parents in those schools don’t care anyway.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:15 pm

Hahaha me too!! Teaneck and our silly mask wearing, social distancing, alternating days for kids to attend we’re so weird how we take this virus seriously here lol

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:16 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
They won’t be social distancing. And from what I gather, most parents in those schools don’t care anyway.

I feel bad for the parents that do care and are working so hard, fighting against the stream, to keep their children, parents, and families healthy and safe.
Wishing everyone a health.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 3:22 pm
I feel bad for the parents that do care and are working so hard, fighting against the stream, to keep their children, parents, and families healthy and safe.
Wishing everyone a health.

I care. But I don’t want my kids to be ostracized in school. Lose-lose for me.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 5:33 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I think it's entitled to expect every school to want your kid. Move to pittsburg boston richmond literally any small community ... Then you can feel entitled to a spot. Lakewood has a million schools and 2 million kids. It's not fair to expect them to want you just because you're there.

Detroit just had a bunch of people move from NYC, Monsey, and Lakewood. They buy the houses that are available because the housing prices are cheap- even offering cash above the asking price to ensure they can push out the locals in favor of themselves. Yet the community response has been to build onto our existing school infrastructure to make room for all the new children in town. We’re talking about Yidden moving to town. Being resentful and clannish helps nobody.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 6:21 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
My primary daughter had 29 kids in her class this year. And it sounds like there were still hundreds of kids rejected.
What I don’t understand is why people move to Lakewood if they don’t have a school for their kids. That ought to be a huge factor in deciding whether to move here. Instead people just move, and expect the existing infrastructure to somehow accommodate them.

We have these types of threads every single year, and everyone complains about the schools, and still more and more people move there every year.

WHY?

What is so great about Lakewood, that you want to make your children the korbonos? Not to mention the pressure of fitting in, having the most recent fashions, the most trendy everything. Blech. You're welcome to it, but count me out.

If you need a warm community and schools for your kids, move to a smaller town, and send to a Chabad school where they don't discriminate.

keym

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Detroit just had a bunch of people move from NYC, Monsey, and Lakewood. They buy the houses that are available because the housing prices are cheap- even offering cash above the asking price to ensure they can push out the locals in favor of themselves. Yet the community response has been to build onto our existing school infrastructure to make room for all the new children in town. We’re talking about Yidden moving to town. Being resentful and clannish helps nobody.

How would Detroit handle 900 girls and 900 boys joining for this year (25 per 1st-8th) and 700 new primary girls and 700 boys.
I don't believe they'd be able to just add onto the infrastructure no big deal without feeling resentment.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 6:45 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
We have these types of threads every single year, and everyone complains about the schools, and still more and more people move there every year.

WHY?

What is so great about Lakewood, that you want to make your children the korbonos? Not to mention the pressure of fitting in, having the most recent fashions, the most trendy everything. Blech. You're welcome to it, but count me out.

If you need a warm community and schools for your kids, move to a smaller town, and send to a Chabad school where they don't discriminate.

You hit the nail on the head. I seriously don’t get it.
I married into an old Lakewood family. A solid family that’s been living here and been part of the yeshiva here for generations. I realized too late that it meant I’d be living in Lakewood until moshiach comes.
I’ve never found my place here. I’m uncomfortable with feeling like one of thousands, doing the same thing as everyone else. But in this town you need to be very strong or very clueless to do things differently.
Jobs are a struggle. Housing is a struggle. You’re competing with thousands just like you for every little thing.
The one thing I didn’t have to worry about was schooling. My kids were accepted before they were born. That’s how it works in this town, they take the next generation of lakewooders first.
So I guess I dodged a bullet in that the worst case scenario didn’t apply to me. I still would never choose to live here and every time someone moves out of town I’m incredibly jealous. And whenever someone acts like my kids’ school is some sort of status symbol I’m startled again. It’s a good school. But lots of oot schools are good too and no ones drooling or fighting over those.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 6:53 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

WHY?

I was ready to give a like until the last sentence.

If you're not Chabad, you're not sending to a Chabad school as a first choice.
Page 12 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12 Recent Topics