Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Israelis going to israel with american passport
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tryinghard

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 3:19 pm
Bring both: Israeli customs will give you a really hard time. We had the best experience going into Israel on my husband’s Israeli passport (I got to join the shorter Israeli citizen line even though I’m not one 😁) and then coming back to the US using the American one.

amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
And every other country in the world doesn't do a good enough job?

Nope. Israel’s security is known to be the most effective. I actually read a fascinating description from a Pakistani guy who compared the difference between TSA and Israeli security:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-other-countries’-airport-security-compare-to-the-United-States-airport-security

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 11:35 am

El Al planes were the only ones allowed in American airspace in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 1:02 pm
If you have (or are supposed to have) a passport from the country you are entering/leaving, then that is the passport you use.

So if you have both passports, you use the Israeli one to enter/leave Israel, and the American passport to enter/leave the US.

If your oldest son has Israeli citizenship, then you should renew his Israeli passport before travelling to Israel.

Check here for all sorts of FAQs regarding travel documents for chldren of Israeli citizens born abroad:

https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/Consula.....blank

Quote:
Can a child of Israelis enter Israel with a foreign passport?
"I am Israeli. I gave birth to a boy two years ago. The child has a foreign passport. We plan to visit Israel. Will the child be able to enter Israel with his foreign passport?"

The child is an Israeli citizen and can enter Israel only with an Israeli passport, and not with a foreign passport. You must register the child at the Israeli mission that will issue him an ID Number and a passport.
In order to register him at the Israeli mission and to issue him a passport the parents must come to the mission with the child, equipped with the child’s original and notarized birth certificate, the passports of both parents, two 5x5cm color passport pictures of the child and a fee in local currency for issuing the passport.

banana123

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 1:35 pm

Many of those countries have asked Israel to train their airport security staff.

grace413

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 1:45 pm
I find TSA to be much more annoying and incompetent than Israeli security.

My DH is a frequent flyer; goes into the US on US passport goes into Israeli on Israeli. Nobody has every questioned him about where he was.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 1:49 pm
grace413 wrote:
I find TSA to be much more annoying and incompetent than Israeli security.

My DH is a frequent flyer; goes into the US on US passport goes into Israeli on Israeli. Nobody has every questioned him about where he was.

Totally. Israel only bothers you if you're a threat.
US and Canadian security drive you berserk no matter who you are, and in Canada they drove me berserk because I was a Jew (guess which nationality the security guy was).

Rappel

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just to clarify, my husband and myself do have both Israeli and American passports. Its my 8 year old son that only has American

I don't think he'll have a problem. Even if he's Israeli, they won't stop a minor from entering and leaving with his family. At worst, you'll get a stern warning to renew his passport for next time.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 5:49 pm
Rappel wrote:
I don't think he'll have a problem. Even if he's Israeli, they won't stop a minor from entering and leaving with his family. At worst, you'll get a stern warning to renew his passport for next time.

Thank you, im calling them and no one is answering...
We are traveling this Wednesday so I am limited in time.
Now I am worrying.. What about my 3 year old son. Born in ny. I never made him Israeli (and don't plan to bc we live in ny) but technically he can be Israeli. Is that an issue?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 6:04 pm
banana123 wrote:
Many of those countries have asked Israel to train their airport security staff.

A few countries have.
On another note, those countries still dont act like the ridiculous Israeli airport staff that know how silly it is. There must be a reason why they do it.

sub

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 6:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, im calling them and no one is answering...
We are traveling this Wednesday so I am limited in time.
Now I am worrying.. What about my 3 year old son. Born in ny. I never made him Israeli (and don't plan to bc we live in ny) but technically he can be Israeli. Is that an issue?

A gut voch. Are you in the tri state area? Then you can go to the consulate in manhattan first thing mon morning.
I forgot to tell you, a bigger problem is your husband. When we traveled, my dh always had a deferment from the army. A paper signed by the consulate stating that he is a ny resident and does not have to serve.

The children should be fine since they are minors and born in the US.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 6:55 pm
sub wrote:
A gut voch. Are you in the tri state area? Then you can go to the consulate in manhattan first thing mon morning.
I forgot to tell you, a bigger problem is your husband. When we traveled, my dh always had a deferment from the army. A paper signed by the consulate stating that he is a ny resident and does not have to serve.

The children should be fine since they are minors and born in the US.

My husband got a pitur for the army when he was younger
So thats all good.
But u think I should not worry about my kids?

sub

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 7:13 pm
I really don’t want to mislead you. My youngest is over 20. And the last time I traveled with him was 15 years ago when he was 6. He did not have an Israeli passport nor was he registered at the consulate. his sister was 11 and also traveled with US passport only. I had no problems whatsoever. However things might have changed.
Make sure dh has his פתור with him - that they ask for.
Again-your 8 year old has an Israeli passport, mine never did.

bobeli

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 7:24 pm
Don’t worry about the kids as long as they have a valid us passport they can go in and out.
If they ask you there you can say is expensive to have both passports or that they have another nationality and the us only lets 2.
I just went with my kids and my dh is Israeli, they always ask why the kids don’t have Israeli passport and I say they have my nationality (not us) and the us one. We go in and out no problem

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 7:29 pm
bobeli wrote:
Don’t worry about the kids as long as they have a valid us passport they can go in and out.
If they ask you there you can say is expensive to have both passports or that they have another nationality and the us only lets 2.
I just went with my kids and my dh is Israeli, they always ask why the kids don’t have Israeli passport and I say they have my nationality (not us) and the us one. We go in and out no problem

Ok thank you!!
I am Australia..and my son has an Australian passport too. So can I just say he has Australian passport and usa doesn't let him have 3?

Im so relieved! If this is true!

The question is they might ask why did he have Israeli passport when he was younger?

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:03 pm
I was born in Israel and have an Israeli passport, my kids are not registered as Israeli.
My 2 passports have 2 different last names as I never showed them that I was married.
I haven't traveled to Israel with an Israeli passport yet.
I'm debating getting my name changed and my kids registered as I'm nervous about them having problem going into Israel.

sub

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:06 pm
You might have to renew his passport in israel. Then receive a one time exit permit- as the passport wont be ready in a short time. Or just receive an exit permit stating that you live in Australia and will renew there. That is what I did. Renewed my passport in bneibrak and received an exit permit. Actually 2 permits, as I joined my mother on a cruiseship and needed it. And then another permit to go back to ny. They only give an exit permit in israel not in consulates

WhatFor

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 8:12 pm

Are you not aware that there are terrorist organizations specifically targeting Israel, Jews, and people visiting Israel to murder them? You're upset that Israel is screening travellers leaving the country to ensure no one is going to take down your plane?

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 1:51 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I was born in Israel and have an Israeli passport, my kids are not registered as Israeli.
My 2 passports have 2 different last names as I never showed them that I was married.
I haven't traveled to Israel with an Israeli passport yet.
I'm debating getting my name changed and my kids registered as I'm nervous about them having problem going into Israel.

We changed our last name after we got married. My American passport shows my maiden name. My Israeli passport shows our old last name.

My son has different names on each of his passports.

My daughter has our new last name on hers.

We've traveled to Germany, France, Italy, United States, and Israel, and no one has ever commented.

ccgg

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:50 am
The rules have become much stricter of late.
And you can no longer just walk in to the consulate, it's by appointment only. If your child isn't registered as Israeli they probably won't stop you, but it's going to be an issue when he/she goes to yeshiva or seminary and needs a student visa. Allow months(!) for the process, you now have to jump through numerous hoops to register an older child and apply for an Israeli passport.
Individuals with Israeli passports must enter and leave using those. You will be asked by security if you have an additional passport.
If it's expired you can enter on your US passport but will have to renew your Israeli while you're there in order to leave.I once had to spend 5 of my 7 days in Israel at the Misrad haPnim trying to get an expedited passport.
Please don't rely on well-meaning advice that isn't fact based, such as " I can't imagine they'll give you a hard time if you're just exiting the country...."
Get the current facts and spare yourself a lot of anguish.
Nesiah tova!

sub

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:16 am
ccgg wrote:
The rules have become much stricter of late.
And you can no longer just walk in to the consulate, it's by appointment only. If your child isn't registered as Israeli they probably won't stop you, but it's going to be an issue when he/she goes to yeshiva or seminary and needs a student visa. Allow months(!) for the process, you now have to jump through numerous hoops to register an older child and apply for an Israeli passport.
Individuals with Israeli passports must enter and leave using those. You will be asked by security if you have an additional passport.
If it's expired you can enter on your US passport but will have to renew your Israeli while you're there in order to leave.I once had to spend 5 of my 7 days in Israel at the Misrad haPnim trying to get an expedited passport.
Please don't rely on well-meaning advice that isn't fact based, such as " I can't imagine they'll give you a hard time if you're just exiting the country...."
Get the current facts and spare yourself a lot of anguish.
Nesiah tova!

Exactly what I have been saying. If you have a relative there in israel,ask them to make an appt to משרד הפנים closest to where you are staying. And renew your sons passport. Expedited passports still might not arrive in time Ask for the exit slip.

As for the consulate in ny. I walked in without an appointment.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics