Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is Bamba Healthy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:16 pm
teachkids wrote:
There’s no added sugar. It’s peanuts, salt, corn and oil. Most of the fat is actually from the peanuts I think. It has fiber and protein and iron. Is it as healthy as pure veggies? No. Is it just as healthy or more healthy than crackers or pretzels? Probably. Is it more healthy than the Gerber puffs? Almost definitely

This.
Although another con is that bamba is fried in oil. There is a slightly more expensive version that is baked. It's not called Bamba but "baked peanut snack".
When my baby was 1 I gave that. Eventually I just started buying bamba as well..

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:19 pm
I only serve my child healthy foods and I do give bamba from time to time. It's her "nosh".
To all the imas saying that bamba is so unhealthy - what about it is unhealthy? I've read the ingredients and I'm not sure what makes it a junk food.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:21 pm
It's not low calorie, so to those who consider "healthy" and "low calorie" to be synonymous, it's not healthy.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:37 pm
It's a snack food and marketed as such. It's processed, with a large bulk of it being corn. As snack foods go, it's relatively healthy. It is definitely not meant to be a meal substitute by any means.

thanks

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:37 pm
It is interesting to note that most peanut butter has sugar and margerine added. So check the ingredients and only buy peanut butter that has one ingredient, peanuts, in it.

Bamba does not have added sugar, however, the corn is processed. So it's better than most junk food, and it's better than some of the items we call food.

teachkids

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:53 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
It's not low calorie, so to those who consider "healthy" and "low calorie" to be synonymous, it's not healthy.

I wouldn’t call it a healthy food for adults. But babies shouldn’t be eating low calorie. They need calories to grow

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:54 pm
It's almost definitely genetically modified corn and therefore full of pesticides and glyphosate which are much worse for a growing child. I would avoid non organic corn products in young children.
You can get the same type of "junk" in hippeas made from chicpeas

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:55 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
It's almost definitely genetically modified corn and therefore full of pesticides and glyphosate which are much worse for a growing child. I would avoid non organic corn products in young children.

GMOs have nothing to do with pesticides.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:13 pm
OP, I was reading this thread curiously and decided to jump in.

I work in the health and nutrition field (I actually counsel parents as part of my job)
Healthy is a relative word. What might be healthy to some people is not healthy to others. So really what kind of healthy are you looking for?

Low-fat or low-calorie - Bamba isn't either, but kids shouldn't be given low-fat or low-calorie foods and those are pretty outdated ideals of "health" anyways.
Exposure to peanuts to prevent allergies? Yes
Does it have bad stuff? Well, GMO corn, it's non-organic and has some form of vegetable oils.
Good stuff? Has protein, some healthier fats and carbs.
Nutritionally dense? I don't have data to prove it, but probably not.
Is there worse stuff out there? Oh, surely yes.

Get what I'm saying? It depends on what healthy means to you.

Whatever you decide, know that you are doing the best you can at this point in time, so be confident in your decision. Good luck!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:13 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:

Being GMO doesn't make it unhealthy.
I serve my child healthy wholesome food, but don't care for organic and such. I have no problem with GMO food.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:17 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
GMOs have nothing to do with pesticides.

Yes. GMO crops are more heavily sprayed with glyphosate. Pesticides refers to insecticides and herbicides. Glyphosate is a very bad for you herbicide, so yes, GMO crops have high levels of pestcides.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:51 pm
One thing no one has mentioned here is that peanut and peanut butter is NOT healthy it is a high lectin food and most peanuts have mold

Plus GMO the crops are genetically modified not to die when sprayed with round- up

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:57 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
One thing no one has mentioned here is that peanut and peanut butter is NOT healthy it is a high lectin food and most peanuts have mold

Plus GMO the crops are genetically modified not to die when sprayed with round- up

Bamba is not made from raw peanuts, hence there should be no concerns regarding lectins. And truthfully most people don't need to go to extreme lengths to avoid all high lectin foods.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:30 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

I work in the health and nutrition field (I actually counsel parents as part of my job)
Healthy is a relative word. What might be healthy to some people is not healthy to others. So really what kind of healthy are you looking for?

Low-fat or low-calorie - Bamba isn't either, but kids shouldn't be given low-fat or low-calorie foods and those are pretty outdated ideals of "health" anyways.
Does it have bad stuff? Well, GMO corn, it's non-organic and has some form of vegetable oils.

Whatever you decide, know that you are doing the best you can at this point in time, so be confident in your decision. Good luck!

Well, Its just a snack so I dont need it to have a ton of nutrition in it I just dont want it to have a lot of chemicals, pesticides, sugar etc.
The ingredients are Peanut paste, Corn Grits, Palm oil and salt.
I never heard of the first two is it bad? Palm Oil - is that a bad oil like vegetable oil?
Its not the calories Im concerned about. Its the actual ingredients.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:33 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

This sounds like a perfect assessment! So basically a little bit is fine. Unless your child is eating Bamba morning noon and night you're probably fine to give.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:44 pm
My pediatrician always tells me to make sure to give my kids bamba. And I always make sure to do so as soon as they can have it. I lived in Israel and recently moved to the US, and the “peanut free” zones wherever I turn r frightening!! Right after I moved I was once sitting in a park and my son was eating bamba. The woman next to me gave me a weird look . I didn’t know what she wanted from me, but before I knew it I was getting a full lecture on how irresponsible it is to allow my kids to eat peanuts in a public place. Honestly, I didn’t know what hit me. Since then I only allow my kids to eat bamba in the house cuz I dont wanna b responsible for anything, but I remember making a mental note then and there that I will make sure my kids get their fair dose of bamba to try and prevent such strong allergies!

Last edited by Dolly1 on Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well, Its just a snack so I dont need it to have a ton of nutrition in it I just dont want it to have a lot of chemicals, pesticides, sugar etc.
The ingredients are Peanut paste, Corn Grits, Palm oil and salt.
I never heard of the first two is it bad? Palm Oil - is that a bad oil like vegetable oil?
Its not the calories Im concerned about. Its the actual ingredients.

Peanut paste is just peanuts ground to a paste.
Corn grits are just a less sweet kind of corn.
Palm oil is an oil that is a good replacement for trans fats, because it is more solid. Not super healthy, but not the worst either.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:45 pm
Thanks everyone so Im going to give him bamba just sometimes as a snack

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:57 pm
Peanut soup is pretty tasty. It originates in Africa and there are lots of different versions

West African Peanut Soup With Chicke

INGREDIENTS

¾ cup roasted and shelled peanuts
2 tablespoons peanut or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn
1 medium red or white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ pound skinless, boneless chicken (about 2 thighs or breasts) cut into chunks
Pinch of cayenne
Salt
freshly ground black pepper
6 cups stock or water
2 sweet potatoes or yams (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into thick slices
8 plum tomatoes, cored and halved (canned are fine; drain and reserve liquid for another use)
½ pound collards or kale, washed and cut into wide ribbons
¼ to ½ cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth

PREPARATION

Chop peanuts, or crush them with the side of a knife, or pulse them in a food processor to chop roughly.

Put oil in a deep skillet or medium saucepan over medium heat; a minute later, add onion, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken and continue cooking for another 3 or 4 minutes, until just coloring. Add 1/2 cup peanuts and the cayenne and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Stir in the stock and the sweet potatoes, bring to a boil, and turn heat down to medium-low so the soup bubbles gently. Stir in tomatoes and collards, then cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Stir in 1/4 cup peanut butter. Taste, adjust seasoning (you may want to add more peanut butter at this point) and serve, garnished with remaining peanuts.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 10:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
Peanut soup is pretty tasty. It originates in Africa and there are lots of different versions

West African Peanut Soup With Chicke

INGREDIENTS

¾ cup roasted and shelled peanuts
2 tablespoons peanut or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn
1 medium red or white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ pound skinless, boneless chicken (about 2 thighs or breasts) cut into chunks
Pinch of cayenne
Salt
freshly ground black pepper
6 cups stock or water
2 sweet potatoes or yams (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into thick slices
8 plum tomatoes, cored and halved (canned are fine; drain and reserve liquid for another use)
½ pound collards or kale, washed and cut into wide ribbons
¼ to ½ cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth

PREPARATION

Chop peanuts, or crush them with the side of a knife, or pulse them in a food processor to chop roughly.

Put oil in a deep skillet or medium saucepan over medium heat; a minute later, add onion, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken and continue cooking for another 3 or 4 minutes, until just coloring. Add 1/2 cup peanuts and the cayenne and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Stir in the stock and the sweet potatoes, bring to a boil, and turn heat down to medium-low so the soup bubbles gently. Stir in tomatoes and collards, then cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Stir in 1/4 cup peanut butter. Taste, adjust seasoning (you may want to add more peanut butter at this point) and serve, garnished with remaining peanuts.

Wow sounds interesting. Thanks. Is this just for your baby or everyone else eats it too?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics