Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy baked good for pesach
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:19 pm
Can we start a thread with healthy, no white sugar baked goods for pesach ? Is there such a thing?

In may of last year I stopped eating processed sugar & wanted to see if I could keep to it thru pesach

Thx!
I have no recipes to Start this thread b/c up until this year I’ve baked so much for pesach & all with white sugar
Speechless

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:22 pm
What sweeteners, if any, would you use? honey? date syrup? would you use coconut sugar (if there even is any on pesach - don't remember)?

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:25 pm
You can choose a healthy theme, like breakfast or salads or fruits...

So if you choose breakfast as a theme, you can give rolls/crackers and honey and butter, oats, yoghurt, fruit, roasted almonds, and maybe one piece of cake/hamataschen.

Or you could give different types of salads: carrot salad, fruit salad, your own original salad... and maybe one piece of cake/hamantaschen.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:29 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
You can choose a healthy theme, like breakfast or salads or fruits...

So if you choose breakfast as a theme, you can give rolls/crackers and honey and butter, oats, yoghurt, fruit, roasted almonds, and maybe one piece of cake/hamataschen.

Or you could give different types of salads: carrot salad, fruit salad, your own original salad... and maybe one piece of cake/hamantaschen.

I think you are responding to a different thread?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:35 pm
You can make delicious fruit crumble using almond flour and whatever sweetener you like, plus some cinnamon and oil.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:41 pm
There really are no healthy Pesach desserts. If you’re non gebroktz and don’t use matzo meal your baked good are all gluten free but that’s about as far as you’ll get. If you have no allergy problems, ground nuts are a much better flour substitute than potato starch. Nuts, especially almonds and walnuts, are full of nutrients. You can’t do much about the sugar.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:45 pm
I’d use honey & authentic maple syrup

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:45 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
I think you are responding to a different thread?

Sorry, yes, I was thinking Purim and shlach mones...
Pessach is too far away for me, for the time being.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:47 pm
amother Birch wrote:
There really are no healthy Pesach desserts. If you’re non gebroktz and don’t use matzo meal your baked good are all gluten free but that’s about as far as you’ll get. If you have no allergy problems, ground nuts are a much better flour substitute than potato starch. Nuts, especially almonds and walnuts, are full of nutrients. You can’t do much about the sugar.

I think the healthiest pessach desserts are fruit salads and ice creams which you can make only with beaten egg white and fruits, without added sugar.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’d use honey & authentic maple syrup

There are some great recipes online for chocolate pudding made from avocados, cocoa and maple syrup. Can also be cashew based (cashew and a bit of water instead of avocado - search online for a recipe for exact measurements). Baked apples and poached pears are something I make every pesach - no sugar - just cinnamon for my apples and a little sweet wine for the pears to poach in. I'm not into sugary desserts either, and all year I avoid white sugar but for pesach I do make a few exceptions. Baking is hard enough for the week. I just cut my amounts down from whatever the recipe calls for because it's all too sweet for my taste. Oh, another favorite here is sliced banana dipped in melted chocolate and frozen. I buy the bars with very little sugar - like 87 - 93% cacao so very dark.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:53 pm
This is one of my favourite pesach brownie recipes.

https://thebigmansworld.com/al.....nies/

The truth is, I always use white sugar as a sweetener on Pesach, but he suggests a number of options. You can experiment with whatever you find that is kosher for Pesach.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:00 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
I think the healthiest pessach desserts are fruit salads and ice creams which you can make only with beaten egg white and fruits, without added sugar.

Any form of simple sugar whether it is white, brown, honey is pretty much the same.

Some baked goods are less decadent than others but the best is to make something fabulous and just enjoy it instead of gorging on healthy baked stuff.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:02 pm
Amarante wrote:
Any form of simple sugar whether it is white, brown, honey is pretty much the same.

Some baked goods are less decadent than others but the best is to make something fabulous and just enjoy it instead of gorging on healthy baked stuff.

Thank you. At least someone who fights the myth that other forms of sugar are so much "healthier".

strawberry cola

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:10 pm
There is a blogger called low carb love who features a lot of desserts that might work for you

teachkids

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:12 pm
Your best bet is keto recipes

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:14 pm
Baked apple with cinnamon is tasty and reasonably healthy.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:15 pm
imasinger wrote:

You can make it fancier by stuffing it with chopped nuts.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:15 pm
imasinger wrote:

Or peeled pears cooked in water with spices, lemon and sugar, a little melted chocolate and almond slices on top.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:17 pm
I bake tons with honey, coconut sugar, maple syrup.

I don't use white sugar.

Some favorites are:

Maple syrup meringues. My family waits all year for these.

Almond butter cookies with honey

Strawberry sorbet with honey

Pesach crackers with potato starch

Any cake I swap out sugar for a coconut sugar or honey.

saralem

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:42 pm
Apple crisp or baked apples are a great option for a healthy yummy dessert, as others suggested. I have also made poached pears in grape juice. I know these are not the same as “cake” but they are nice healthy desserts.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking