Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Root canal - toxic?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:33 am
Has anyone heard of this? Health issues stemming from the bacteria in root canals? or metal fillings

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:56 am
Not having a root canal can lead to serious complications because the infection can spread throughout the body including the brain. If a tooth needs a root canal, your choice is to have the root canal to "save" the tooth or have the tooth removed. Obviously saving a tooth is the better option.

When a root canal is performed by a skilled dentist, ALL infection is removed and there is a sterile replacement in place of the root. I have had several root canals with no ill effect.

I have NEVER heard of root canals being problematic unless the dentist was incompetent.

However, there are people who "claim" that metal fillings are "dangerous". I lump them in the same category as no-nothings who think vaccines cause autism. Some dentists have made a nice living feeding off the paranoia by replacing metal fillings. You can google and determine who you want to believe - your dentist or some unknown source on the internet - which obviously includes me. :-).

rivkam

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 9:59 am
There was a documentary on the bad effects of a root canal on netflix. It's a tough decision

etky

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:03 am
rivkam wrote:
There was a documentary on the bad effects of a root canal on netflix. It's a tough decision

My DD mentioned that she had seen this documentary. It was right when she was having extensive dental work that included at least one root canal.
It didn't prevent her from having the necessary dental work done though.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:05 am
I suggest going straight to an oral surgeon, and paying more. They may put you on oral antibiotics for a few days, just to make sure that there aren't any stray bacteria in your system. Take some probiotics in between doses, and you'll be fine.

Ignoring a root canal is no joke. If the infection moves into the bone of your jaw, you are going to have very serious complications. If it moves into your bloodstream, it could be fatal.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:14 am
Some old filling materials contained mercury, which is highly toxic. It hasn't been used for a long time, but there are still some people walking around with mercury based fillings. They do need to be replaced. Compounds used today are safe.

etky

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:18 am
Elfrida wrote:
Some old filling materials contained mercury, which is highly toxic. It hasn't been used for a long time, but there are still some people walking around with mercury based fillings. They do need to be replaced. Compounds used today are safe.

I've heard though that the process of taking out the old fillings is risky too, cause it releases mercury vapors into the mouth. So according to this approach, best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:32 am
etky wrote:
I've heard though that the process of taking out the old fillings is risky too, cause it releases mercury vapors into the mouth. So according to this approach, best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Yes, as long as the filling is still intact. Because these fillings are all old, a lot of them are breaking down, and that is dangerous. It needs individual monitoring and decisions.

If the filling is breaking down, better a brief exposure to mercury fumes than a long term leaking into the body.

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 10:54 am
not getting a root canal is dangerous. any infection in the mouth is super close to the brain. its no joke.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:59 am
Yes, this is a thing. There are no easy answers here. You can try getting rid of the infections and remineralizing the tooth but it may be too late. Die-hards will have the tooth pulled and put in bridge or implant rather than have a root canal done. If you go with the root canal, make sure they use composite rather than amalgam fillings.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:34 pm
Extractions can lead to further complications.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Extractions can lead to further complications.

Really? Like what?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 1:36 pm
Extractions are really the last recourse when the root of the tooth has become infected. It is not possible to do anything but a root canal or a filling. Fillings are done to PREVENT decay from infecting the root which is why regular dental care is so important as neglecting your teeth will inevitably lead to more serious and expensive procedures.

If you pull a tooth and just leave it empty, the rest of the teeth start shifting and it has a negative impact on bone structure.

In terms of good dental practices, everything possible would be done to save a tooth which would include a root canal. If for some reason, a root canal isn't sufficient and the tooth must be extracted, an implant would be the best solution because it preserves the rest of the structure of the mouth in a way that even a bridge can't do.

I have never heard of a root canal being toxic. The only issue might be making sure that it is medically necessary and that it is being performed by a skilled dentist. Unfortunately, in my experience, good dental care is expensive and I wouldn't trust a "dental mill" where dentists are both inexperienced and incentivized to suggest more procedures.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 1:56 pm
I have heard a theory related to problems in metal fillings - I think mercury? Not sure of they even still use mecury. For sure you would get dangerous bacteria from a rotting tooth, so better to get the root canal - or extraction.

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 2:09 pm
My teeth were essentially destroyed by long-term antibiotic use, which is how they treated severe acne back in the dark ages.

Over the years, I've had approximately 12 root canals over the years, and I eventually had all my top teeth extracted and replaced with an all-on-four implant. I also have two implants among my lower teeth.

Here's the problem with root canals, which I feel is particularly important for Imamothers, whose age skews lower: a root canal will typically last about 20-25 years. Eventually, the tooth will dry out to the point that it snaps off, and an extraction will be the only option. That may seem like a long time, but time flies when you're having fun, which means that those root canals are likely to start snapping approximately when you're trying to make chassunahs.

While it's more expensive, I recommend cutting to the chase and simply going with an extraction and implant. Saving the tooth at all costs usually costs more than you expect.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 2:11 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Really? Like what?

Dry socket, bone infection, nerve trauma, teeth shifting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise