Home

Swing inside the house
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant) A Safe Haven


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


lilies




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:27 pm
Does anyone have any sort of swing inside the house?
How was it put up?
Do your kids use it/enjoy it?

Is there any specific purchase you would recommend that has helped you with your challenging child?
Back to top

avrahamama




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:44 pm
I don't have one. I wish I could have one though. It just looks like so much fun. I read a blog of a mother who built a beautiful sensory for her ASD child. It really looked like the kind of place I would love to stay in all day.
Pinterest has soooo many great ideas for sensory rooms and indoor swings
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:48 pm
yes! we have it in a basement playroom. Our kids use it all the time. They'll say can I go downstairs and have some alone time and just chill on the swing. Their friends love it also.
Back to top

lilies




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:53 pm
Is it a high ceiling with lots of room around? Can any handyman just do it?
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:01 pm
it's not a particularly high ceiling. very much a basement Wink we got a net swing. Probably around 4-6 years ago. I would maybe get a different type if doing it over again (ours has a back and a front, so they can't lie on their stomach like I've seen at the OT clinic, and it's not not cloth that gives more of a hug) but we got hooks that we can change out the swing so if they want to use a trapeze swing to do flips they can...

It's not meant to go particularly high like our outdoor swing, just to swing. My daughter likes to put an old mattress against the wall in front of the swing and kick in to that.

My husband used this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009.....JJ0R7
and screwed it into the beams in the ceiling. He said to make sure it actually is screwed in to the beams and not just the ceiling. Or get a handyman to do it.

My kids don't have a diagnosis or anything. Don't know if they would be considered "challenging", they are good kids but they are kids Wink My older daughter went to OT when she was younger for attention, behavior...
Back to top

Seriously




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:04 pm
we have one. we also had a handyman put the hardware into a beam and I hook on a variety of swings.
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:09 am
I had an outdoor swing I had screwed to an exposed beam between my kitchen and the great room. The ceiling was extra high. The swing could be swapped out for gymnastic rings. I did it because I liked my kids near me.

I also had a slide that went over the couch in the great room and a swimming pool filled with balls.
Back to top

forgetit




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I had an outdoor swing I had screwed to an exposed beam between my kitchen and the great room. The ceiling was extra high. The swing could be swapped out for gymnastic rings. I did it because I liked my kids near me.

I also had a slide that went over the couch in the great room and a swimming pool filled with balls.


You are one fun mother! Would love to see pics if you have, and feel like sharing.
I would love to do something like this when I have a bit more space.
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:34 am
We have a really great hammock made of parachute silk in our garden. Actually a few. My kids love them. You can get hammock stands although ours are tied to trees. Get a double size hammock.
Back to top

cnc




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:48 am
Yes. I have swings on the door frames of my kids room. I had metal hardware put on to the door frames .
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:00 am
Is there a swing that stands on the floor on a frame? We can't install hardware.
Back to top

bigsis144




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:01 am
I wish I could do that but my boys would fight over any equipment and be very dangerous...
Back to top

Stars




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:17 am
ectomorph wrote:
Is there a swing that stands on the floor on a frame? We can't install hardware.


There are! There is also gym equipment you can sort of clip over a doorway. Do a Google search to find one that meets your needs.
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:23 am
https://www.amazon.com/Gym1-Pl.....psc=1

this is something that goes on a doorframe. Never used it.
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:58 am
We've done several kinds of indoor swings over the years (we actually don't have any sensory kids in this house - just very odd parents). I'd recommend a standalone frame over bolting into the ceiling - the swinging tears screws out of concrete, over time. The best kid friendly swing we had over the years was actually a hammock with both sides suspended from one point, like a sling. You can lie belly down in the swing and cruise in any direction. It's very peaceful.
Back to top

lilies




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:22 am
avrahamama wrote:
I don't have one. I wish I could have one though. It just looks like so much fun. I read a blog of a mother who built a beautiful sensory for her ASD child. It really looked like the kind of place I would love to stay in all day.
Pinterest has soooo many great ideas for sensory rooms and indoor swings


Pinterest wakes the green-eyed monster within me. I stopped looking.
Maybe one day...

I'm all about making things work without any space right now.
Back to top

lilies




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:23 am
cnc wrote:
Yes. I have swings on the door frames of my kids room. I had metal hardware put on to the door frames .


That's an idea. Thanks!
Back to top

lilies




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:26 am
Rappel wrote:
We've done several kinds of indoor swings over the years (we actually don't have any sensory kids in this house - just very odd parents). I'd recommend a standalone frame over bolting into the ceiling - the swinging tears screws out of concrete, over time. The best kid friendly swing we had over the years was actually a hammock with both sides suspended from one point, like a sling. You can lie belly down in the swing and cruise in any direction. It's very peaceful.


Odd parents make life brighter.

Can you please share a link of what the hammock stand would look like? Is it one L shaped piece?
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:38 am
lilies wrote:
Odd parents make life brighter.

Can you please share a link of what the hammock stand would look like? Is it one L shaped piece?


Aw, thanks.

If you have the space, then a frame like this would be very stable. The key is to keep the center of gravity low.

https://www.google.com/search?.....mn2UM
Back to top

lilies




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:43 am
Rappel wrote:
Aw, thanks.

If you have the space, then a frame like this would be very stable. The key is to keep the center of gravity low.

https://www.google.com/search?.....mn2UM


That's the wooden full swing frame. How would both sides of the hammock be attached to one section of the frame?

Did you mean this one? https://www.plowhearth.com/en/.....34885
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant) A Safe Haven

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Do you live in an impossibly big house?
by amother
274 Today at 1:17 pm View last post
Investment house
by amother
6 Yesterday at 4:29 pm View last post
Which swings for a swing set?
by amother
4 Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:43 pm View last post
Pesach 2020: House for Rent, Monsey
by AnnaB
0 Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:02 pm View last post
House call doctor monsey area PLEASE
by amother
6 Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:01 pm View last post

Jump to: