Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher Indian Restiarant ANYWHERE with a good hescher???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 4:02 pm
Iymnok wrote:
FF, you beat me to it! It is sadly not Cholov Yisroel. But they are as authentic as you could get.
I prefer Bamboo Garden though.

Come to my house. I make an awesome curry, and I'm working on my tamarind sauce. All of my spices are under the KSA heksher, and I keep CY now that I'm not in the US.

I'm still looking for an Ethiopian restaurant in Israel. It seems that there are a few, but you have to call the day you want to come in, to make sure that the heksher is good. Supervision seems to come and go pretty randomly. I guess that most people think that if it's vegetarian or vegan, then a heksher is no big deal.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 4:26 pm
That’s what the Seattle Vaad did. They found vegetarian/vegan restaurants and asked them to accept (pay for) supervision. That’s why there are more ethnic restaurants with a hechsher. I remember pizza places coming and going with the tide.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 6:14 pm
Sorry. The one on Stamford does not have a good hechsher. They are dairy. I was there, and there was no supervision. They claimed they were pareve. This was not so long ago. But maybe things changed.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 6:34 pm
There used to be several meat ones in Manhattan, and there was a dairy one on the UWS a few years ago that I know of.

Aylat

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 6:46 pm
I went to a really good one in London years ago.

tryinghard

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 6:48 pm
Shalom Bombay in Teaneck was really good - DH is BT and said it was really authentic 😂 but this was a number of years ago, no clue if they are still open and kosher.

Helani

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 7:12 pm
One just opened in Boston...it's called Veggie Crust

lavenderchimes

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 7:15 pm
idk what you consider a good hechsher - Ahimsa in Manhattan LES is very good - OKS, Rabbi Cohen

abaker

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 7:47 pm
Toronto. It is so yummy. (Fleshig)

finprof

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 7:49 pm
Saint Louis, Mo vegetarian

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:45 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Shalom Bombay in Teaneck was really good - DH is BT and said it was really authentic 😂 but this was a number of years ago, no clue if they are still open and kosher.

It was delicious but they closed a long time ago. I think there is a non-kosher Indian restaurant there now. It seems like exotic kosher restaurants have a harder time staying open than the mainstays like Chinese, burgers, pizza.

Gerbera

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 11:00 pm
Toronto! Best restaurant I feel in the city. Large portions, well priced - amazing owners - great service. Absolutely delicious!!

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 11:06 pm
Paublas, seattle. Not cholov yisroel. But like flight worthy good.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:16 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Sorry. The one on Stamford does not have a good hechsher. They are dairy. I was there, and there was no supervision. They claimed they were pareve. This was not so long ago. But maybe things changed.

I'm sorry, but the Vaad of Fairfield County is an excellent and widely accepted hashgacha. Navaratna has never claimed to be pareve, there is literally cheese in the menu. It's possible you didn't understand them, the people who work there are Indian and have very strong Indian accents.

Maybe do your research before disparaging a perfectly good restaurant with a perfectly good hashgacha next time.

Shoshie

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:14 am
Little India - הודו הקטנה in Beersheba.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I'm sorry, but the Vaad of Fairfield County is an excellent and widely accepted hashgacha. Navaratna has never claimed to be pareve, there is literally cheese in the menu. It's possible you didn't understand them, the people who work there are Indian and have very strong Indian accents.

Maybe do your research before disparaging a perfectly good restaurant with a perfectly good hashgacha next time.

100% the restaurant claimed to be vegetarian when I was asking about the supervision. OP asked about good heschers. The hescher was not good enough for my husband to eat there. There are plenty of restaurants with heschers, but maybe they aren't up to OP's standards either. There was also a problem with another restaurant in Stamford. Who is checking for bugs if there isn't supervision?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:36 am
100% the restaurant claimed to be vegetarian when I was asking about the supervision. OP asked about good heschers. The hescher was not good enough for my husband to eat there. There are plenty of restaurants with heschers, but maybe they aren't up to OP's standards either. There was also a problem with another restaurant in Stamford. Who is checking for bugs if there isn't supervision?

Posters who ask such questions should be more specific.

What is a "good" hechser?

Everybody eats in restaurants they consider to have "good" hecshers or else they wouldn't eat there.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:38 am

Vegetarian means no meat, not no dairy. They were correct.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:51 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Vegetarian means no meat, not no dairy. They were correct.

I was asking about supervision. The restaurant should clearly indicate that they are diary. We read they were pareve.

watergirl

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:57 am
I was asking about supervision. The restaurant should clearly indicate that they are diary. We read they were pareve.

Vegetarian and pareve are not the same thing. Did the restaurant say they are pareve? Did the hechsher say they are pareve? Where did you read that they are pareve?

“Vegetarian” indicates there will likely be dairy there. Sounds like the misunderstanding was your error.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen