Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Hungry every five minutes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 5:29 am
5 y/o ds is hungry every few minutes! I can't keep up with it anymore. I don't know if he's bored, hungry for love, or seriously hungry for food.

Ex. This morning he ate a bowl of cottage cheese with olives. Drank water. 15 minutes later, hungry again.

Yesterday after school, 3 individually wrapped wafers and a cheese stick, drank water, claimed he is still hungry.

Is this normal??? I'm losing my mind.

nchr

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 5:31 am
He may be experiencing a growth spurt.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 5:37 am
Hard to say, since you describing two tiny pieces of two different days. Is he eating well at meals? Are you sure? My kids come home from school famished, and it's because they often don't eat lunch well. So even if I give them a big snack they're still really hungry for a real meal. They need protein, carbs and healthy fats throughout the day.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 5:41 am
Yes. It’s normal. Don’t lose your mind please. Kids go through these phases.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 5:49 am
Have tons of pre-cut fruits and vegetables available at all times.

That's what my mom did with me and my sister, and we grew up with a healthy relationship to food.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 5:49 am
He might really be hungry. Try to give him a more substantial breakfast, cottage cheese is not a meal, and a big dinner instead of snack right when he comes home from school. Serve healthy filling foods. Filling up on junk makes you be hungry faster.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:13 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Have tons of pre-cut fruits and vegetables available at all times.

That's what my mom did with me and my sister, and we grew up with a healthy relationship to food.

Hell eat fruit and vegetables but only alongside something else.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:14 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
He might really be hungry. Try to give him a more substantial breakfast, cottage cheese is not a meal, and a big dinner instead of snack right when he comes home from school. Serve healthy filling foods. Filling up on junk makes you be hungry faster.

If I serve dinner at 4 he's hungry again at 7 for another whole dinner. A fruit won't make him happy. Tried it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I serve dinner at 4 he's hungry again at 7 for another whole dinner. A fruit won't make him happy. Tried it.

That's normal. I serve dinner at 4:30 and my kids want to eat again before bed.
It make sense, right? If I don't serve dinner when they get home, I serve a substantial snack. So if they do eat dinner when they get home, they get the same substantial snack later on in the evening.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you offer a piece of chicken or bowl of soup at 7, he eats it?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:40 am
ra_mom wrote:
That's normal. I serve dinner at 4:30 and my kids want to eat again before bed.

That's a relief. Thanks for sharing. I will start doing this. Twice a week we go for therapy right after school but I guess we can figure something out. Other than chicken fingers/schnitzel do you have ideas for stuff he can eat on the way?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:41 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
If you offer a piece of chicken or bowl of soup at 7, he eats it?

My family doesn't enjoy soup but chicken yes, he'll eat that happily and go to sleep.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's a relief. Thanks for sharing. I will start doing this. Twice a week we go for therapy right after school but I guess we can figure something out. Other than chicken fingers/schnitzel do you have ideas for stuff he can eat on the way?

It make sense because if I don't serve dinner when they get home, I serve a substantial snack. So if they do eat dinner when they get home, they get the same substantial sbaxk, just later on in the evening.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:45 am
Another question, what's considered a substantial snack? He'll be satisfied with 2 slices of whole wheat bread with cottage cheese on them plus a banana but to me that sounds more like a meal.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That’s very normal! Kids are active. They get hungry fast. My son that age can eat three whole bowls of cereal and milk when he comes home from school.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:47 am
flowerpower wrote:
That’s very normal! Kids are active. They get hungry fast. My son that age can eat three whole bowls of cereal and milk when he comes home from school.

Yes, mine can do that too! I thought that was an entire meal of its own. I didn't realize it was just a snack. I feel like I serve 7 meals a day! I'm relieved to hear it's normal.
I don't always have time for him to sit and eat a few bowls of cereal though. I need more transportable ideas.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:57 am
Is there a reason you are worried
Is he overweight

Some kids burn more calories and are just more hungry

Offer healthy options
You can’t eat too much baby carrots

If he’s just eating nosh that’s not a good idea

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:59 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Is there a reason you are worried
Is he overweight

Some kids burn more calories and are just more hungry

Offer healthy options
You can’t eat too much baby carrots

If he’s just eating nosh that’s not a good idea

He's not a very active kid. Not overweight. He doesn't like nosh even. Those wafers were my fault, I needed to run out to therapy with him and had no healthier options available.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 7:09 am
You can take along greek yogurt, any type of sandwich, grilled cheese.
If you're concerned that he's hungry too often after a substantial snack or meal, maybe discuss it with your pediatrician and get some bloodwork done.
But some kids are just big eaters and have a hearty appetite. My mother used to joke that one of my brothers had a hole in his stomach, he would eat all day and he's so skinny.

rgr

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 7:17 am
Healthy fat is very important to keep full.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children