Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spin off - what makes linen high quality ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:53 pm
Hey I’m the OP from the other thread.
A set includes 2 shams, a fitted sheet and a duvet cover times two for two beds.
They are 100% cotton 300 thread count (extremely soft). Made very well and they last long.

Here’s a bit of the process:
Before I settled on the factory I use now we tested many many factories. They sent me a sample which I washed to make sure the colors didn’t run. Then I checked to see if they washed wrinkle free (my sets are non-iron). Slept in it to see if it was soft and comfortable ect. We’re around for almost two years and bH the sets have held up very well.

sky

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 7:57 pm
My linen sets have lasted me daily for 10 + years. (2 sets alternating lasted me 13 years). A boys shirt 1 season worn a few times (maybe once a week). I fail to see the comparison.

I’ll spend cheap on a boys shirt but splurge on linen.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:01 pm
I won an expensive tapestry linen set a couple of years ago (in the $300 range) at my girls' school's chinese auction. It's gorgeous and super-soft and comfortable, but I must say the quality of the non-tapestry part is awful. It totally shredded after maybe 2-3 years, and I've had to replace it.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't buy in Jewish stores because I absolutely hate duvet covers? I also have queen size beds and find it so hard to find in the local Jewish stores. They always want a lot more bacause it's "custom".

I recently went from a full to a Queen, and I find that even in non-Jewish stores Queen is impossible to find. None of the supposed queen sheets that I bought fit properly.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:15 pm
nchr wrote:
High thread count, soft texture.
I've always considered bed linens to be an expensive item in general (like a coat).

I want to clarify that higher the thread count does not mean softer- it is usually the opposite. It has to do with ply. So 300 thread count is probably very soft while 1500 could be rough since it would be made double or triple plied. I personally like single ply 500-700 and I only have one set. But people have to do what works for them.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:15 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I recently went from a full to a Queen, and I find that even in non-Jewish stores Queen is impossible to find. None of the supposed queen sheets that I bought fit properly.

I have a queen and it is the easiest! Have never had a problem. Where do you shop?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I have a queen and it is the easiest! Have never had a problem. Where do you shop?

Please tell us where you shop. I'm considering getting a (2 actually) queens soon, and I'd love to know before I invest.

watergirl

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 10:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For $20 linen you get a flat sheet and a sham and you still have to get a duvet, a second sham and a flat sheet. So it ends up being not much less than $100 a bed. The $200 linen listed is $100 per bed all inclusive.

Also, a little boys shirt lasts a 4 month season. A good set of linen lasts 4 years.

Why do you have to get a duvet (or two) and shams? Literally no one I know uses duvets. Bedspreads and pillow cases are perfect for everyone I know!

sky

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 11:12 pm
watergirl wrote:
Why do you have to get a duvet (or two) and shams? Literally no one I know uses duvets. Bedspreads and pillow cases are perfect for everyone I know!

I prefer duvets. Both of My grandmothers and my parents and in laws all used duvets. It’s what I’m used too.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 11:28 pm
I prefer duvets as well and have had both.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 11:35 pm
Duvets can be washed much more often than blankets
It’s cleaner and fresher

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:13 am
We got $30 flannel sheets at target this year that are so comfortable. Our blanket gets washed every week with the linens, but with a top sheet it really doesn’t even need that.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:45 am
watergirl wrote:

Who wants to wash their BULKY comforters as often as people wash their duvet covers?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 1:25 am
I inherited all our linen from grandparents/parents. all 100% cotton, shetts/douvetcovers/pillowcases etc. all 100% cotton, all not faded and comfy and all sets costed maybe 20euro/set. the only thing I need to repace every 5 years are the fitted sheets (as they may loose their elasticity, because I wash them on hot and sometimes bleach them- which I shouldnt), but replacement costs 10 euro or less.

my guests always compliment me on our comfy beds/linens so I guess its fine.

they waysh well, dont fade, stay soft (not as soft as silken linen but comparable to standard hotel linen), why would I spend more?

I must say that the white linen is neutral and the paterns are outdated, but I see ore modern paterns aroun in stores also for around 20euro.

please explain to me what I miss out on if I dont spend 100 euro per bed? is it really a totally different sleep experience? I thought its the mattrace and actual eiderdown that make the real difference not the linen

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 1:55 am
Thread count
Fabric (cotton vs cheaper cotton-poly blends)
Fiber type (Egyptian long-fiber cotton, supima cotton)
Weave (sateen or percale vs basic weave)

Plus more superficial things like designer prints, embellishments, etc.
Obviously, more pieces or larger sizes make things more expensive, all else being equal.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 4:57 am
watergirl wrote:

They're what we are used to and more comfortable. All of us go nuts when we're at a hotel and have to contend with other linens. The rare time we've been to a Sheraton it as been a treat, since they use duvets too.
I also sleep with 2 pillows so I use 2 shams.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:30 am
ra_mom wrote:
They're what we are used to and more comfortable. All of us go nuts when we're at a hotel and have to contend with other linens. The rare time we've been to a Sheraton it as been a treat, since they use duvets too.

Ok. But you see, not everyone uses them. I was wondering why you said “you have to buy two duvets and shams”. No, you don't have to. So the bedding sets available at Target and BBB are perfect for most.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 6:54 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Who wants to wash their BULKY comforters as often as people wash their duvet covers?

If you use a sheet in between the comforter and yourself you don't need to wash it very often.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:13 am
ra_mom wrote:

Why does this bother you?

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:26 am
ra_mom wrote:

We use duvet covers but all of our beds have a loose sheet, fitted sheet, quilt, run, 7 to 15 pillows (depending on the bed size) etc. So I just like a duvet cover because of how the duvet feels (definitely more options in the US than with comforters IME) not all of the sheets.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics