Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spin off - what makes linen high quality ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:28 am
notshanarishona wrote:
If you use a sheet in between the comforter and yourself you don't need to wash it very often.

What is your magical trick for keeping the sheet in place?

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:34 am
I wrap it around me .never have a problem .

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:34 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
What is your magical trick for keeping the sheet in place?

Keep in mind hotels generally have very low thread count (under 200) so it is thinner. Also if you put it back everyday it will keep in place.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:35 am
DrMom wrote:
Why does this bother you?
the layers all get twisted. I find it difficult while sleeping as well as when making the beds. However, I grew up using duvets so maybe that’s why I’m not used to sheet sets. I’ve never seen sheet sets at anybody’s home , other than my OOT relatives and hotels.

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 7:36 am
thunderstorm wrote:
the layers all get twisted. I find it difficult while sleeping as well as when making the beds. However, I grew up using duvets so maybe that’s why I’m not used to sheet sets. I’ve never seen sheet sets at anybody’s home , other than my OOT relatives and hotels.

That's a Frum thing. Non frum people, even with duvets generally have a fitted and flat sheet. You can request a flat sheet with the frum companies as well and pay extra. However, today, the secular world is also starting to throw out flat sheets. I personally like that.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:25 am
nchr wrote:
That's a Frum thing. Non frum people, even with duvets generally have a fitted and flat sheet. You can request a flat sheet with the frum companies as well and pay extra. However, today, the secular world is also starting to throw out flat sheets. I personally like that.

It's a "frum thing" to not use a flat sheet?

Who knew?

bsy

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:34 am
I can't stand using a flat sheet and blanket on top. I can only sleep with a duvet cover. It feels much cleaner and doesn't get all tangled.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:48 am
DrMom wrote:
Why does this bother you?

Because the comforter they use on top is scratchy and it's hard to keep away from your skin, and we can't help thinking about how it doesn't get washed between each guest like the sheet does.

bisbettertheni

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:50 am
I like duvet covers better. I find it much harder to sleep with a flat sheet and quilt. I think its a frum thing because it is hard to find in non jewish stores.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 9:51 am
DrMom wrote:

Who knew?

Could be wrong, but I was under the impression that using duvet covers is a European thing. Most of us are of Eastern European descent- Hungarian/Polish/Galician- and yes, it became a frum thing. It definitely is difficult to find sets with duvet covers in non Jewish stores.

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:09 am
DrMom wrote:

Who knew?

Frum linen stores in the US sell sets that include a duvet cover and fitted sheet. If you want a flat sheet, you will need to put in a special request and pay extra. Not all styles will offer flat sheets. We always request them, but do better at the non frum stores for this reason.

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:10 am
bisbettertheni wrote:
I like duvet covers better. I find it much harder to sleep with a flat sheet and quilt. I think its a frum thing because it is hard to find in non jewish stores.

Duvet covers are available everywhere. Sets that include just a flat sheet and pillow cover is generally a frum store thing.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:50 am
nchr wrote:

There is nothing frum about using a duvet.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 10:54 am
watergirl wrote:
There is nothing frum about using a duvet.

It is more common in Europe and for Americans descended from more recent European immigrants, which many frum people are.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
It is more common in Europe and for Americans descended from more recent European immigrants, which many frum people are.

Ok... so? Sefardic Jews, etc? There is no reason to imply using a duvet is part of being frum. People conflate these things so much that they can no longer differentiate between shtuseim and real Torah.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:08 am
watergirl wrote:
Ok... so? Sefardic Jews, etc? There is no reason to imply using a duvet is part of being frum. People conflate these things so much that they can no longer differentiate between shtuseim and real Torah.

"It's a frum thing" doesn't mean it's a part of being frum, it means it's common among frum people.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 11:09 am
She was making the point that its hard to find in non-frum stores. I thought it was pretty clear in context, but if it wasn't here's to clarity. Why nitpick if you don't have to?

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:12 pm
Never once did I say a duvet cover is frum. I said that the sets if a duvet cover with a fitted sheet and sham is what is offered in frum linen stores. You need to specifically ask and pay extra for a flat sheet. In regular stores - where I buy my linen - including duvet covers - sheet sets are sold separately and generally include a fitted and flat sheet. Peoples lack of exposure to flat sheets in my community is because they are not marketed in frum stores. However, there is a change in the secular linen market now to nix the flat sheets as well.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 5:05 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Could be wrong, but I was under the impression that using duvet covers is a European thing. Most of us are of Eastern European descent- Hungarian/Polish/Galician- and yes, it became a frum thing. It definitely is difficult to find sets with duvet covers in non Jewish stores.

Yes, but European stores are full of duvet covers. Lots of non-Jews in Europe.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 5:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Because the comforter they use on top is scratchy and it's hard to keep away from your skin, and we can't help thinking about how it doesn't get washed between each guest like the sheet does.

You mean those scratchy or fuzzy *blankets* on some hotel beds? Yes, I definitely dislike those.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics