Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Where do you buy your challah?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 11:22 am
If you live in Crown Heights and do not bake challah where do you buy it and why?

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 11:43 am
a little birdie delivers it to my doorstep ... and the leftovers midweek go back out to the birdies ... it's a good deal ... tweet tweet tweedle dee dee

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 11:51 am
I buy it at the Shuk Thursday night when I get my chickens and do my other for-Shabbos shopping.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 11:51 am
Diddl, De Dumm!

YALT

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 12:00 pm
I used to like the ones from Kahans. but we got tired of them, and now we went back to Albany Bakery.
Sometimes they're delicious, and sometimes, we wonder why we bought there.
Lately, if I'm in Boro Park on Thursday, I'll try out a bakery over there.
But if we do that again, I would freeze them Thurs. until Shabbos morning. Fri. nite they're delicious, and then Shabbos morning they're as stale as can be!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
Diddl, De Dumm!

diddle dee doooo!!!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 12:51 pm
theres a shuk in crown heights? thats so cool!

shanie5

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 1:21 pm
I get mine from '2 sisters take out'-made fresh ...........
..............................................available only in scranton pa.

cindy324

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 1:42 pm
Quote:
But if we do that again, I would freeze them Thurs. until Shabbos morning. Fri. nite they're delicious, and then Shabbos morning they're as stale as can be!

I always freeze challah , even if I buy it Friday, I always freeze for shabbos lunch, otherwise it's not good. You can't keep it in a plastic bag becaue it gets too soft, and you can't keep it in a paper bag because it gets stale. I take it out shabbos morning, and it defrosts either on the counter or next to the crockpot, and it always returns to its original crispiness.

The only time I don't freeze challah is if I bought it in Friday and using it Friday night. Then I just pop it in the oven for a few minutes before shabbos.

If you're ever in BP, try Shloimie's bakery on New Utrecht bet. 50 and 51 st.

YALT

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 1:48 pm
Everyone likes their challah dif.
In our house, we like them soft.
Next time I'm in BP Thurs. I'll try them. Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 3:23 pm
If, for whatever reason I don't buy challas at the Shuk, DH would get them on his way home from shul Friday morning, probably from Oneg on Kingston or Albany.

DD and I REALLY like the Stren's pull-apart challah, though!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 18 2008, 3:50 pm
I have been by many people's houses ... when they serve frozen challah - I know ... it never fully defrosts if you take it out in the am ... so just not something I do ... but I appreciate a nice warm challah friday nights ...

cindy324

Post Sun, Jan 20 2008, 1:36 pm
Quote:
I have been by many people's houses ... when they serve frozen challah - I know ... it never fully defrosts if you take it out in the am ... so just not something I do ... but I appreciate a nice warm challah friday nights ...

Then they're doing something wrong Confused They probably don't wrap it up properly before freezing it. I HATE things that taste freezer-y, but my challah nobody can ever tell they were frozen.

Imawoman

Post Sun, Jan 20 2008, 1:44 pm
I buy frozen challah dough, defrost it Thursday night and bake it myself on Friday.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus