Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teen girl babysitting

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:29 am
Would you let your teenage daughter babysit on a school night until 11pm, and take the bus home by herself? My DD is 16, and very independent. No way would she feel comfortable taking the bus that late at night, and she's usually in bed and asleep by 10:30 because she has to get up so early.

I'm trying to get babysitting jobs for people who are asking for someone who will stay really late, but they only want to pay teenager rates. I'm also offering to do light housekeeping, prep cooking, and laundry.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more if you are going to be out so late at night. It's very frustrating.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:31 am
In my neighborhood the high school girls babysit only till 11 and we have to provide them transportation.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:32 am
Yes, unless it's a bad place. But bus is safe imo.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:36 am
I'd let my teenager babysit after 11 but not take public transportation home, I'd expect her to be driven home.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:36 am
I used to pay a women to babysit when I needed someone to stay after 10:30 . Most teens weren’t willing to babysit that late. In addition we always needed to drive the teen sitters home. I did pay more for the woman that stayed late.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:45 am
So, the mother doesn't drive, and the husband won't drive me home because of yichud.

How much would you pay someone who also did sweeping up, organizing toys, picking up messes, putting books back on the shelf, wiping down tables and chairs with sticky messes, and fold all the laundry for a family of 7? That's in addition to staying late and being there for the kids in case they wake up. 5 kids under 8yo, so someone is bound to need the bathroom or a drink of water.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:49 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
So, the mother doesn't drive, and the husband won't drive me home because of yichud.

How much would you pay someone who also did sweeping up, organizing toys, picking up messes, putting books back on the shelf, wiping down tables and chairs with sticky messes, and fold all the laundry for a family of 7? That's in addition to staying late and being there for the kids in case they wake up. 5 kids under 8yo, so someone is bound to need the bathroom or a drink of water.

What you're describing isn't babysitting. It's a nanny/housekeeper. See what the going rate is in your community. It's at least $25-$30 an hour in the US & many charge by the week.
It's the norm to provide transportation for teen girls babysitting, not for adults.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:50 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Would you let your teenage daughter babysit on a school night until 11pm, and take the bus home by herself? My DD is 16, and very independent. No way would she feel comfortable taking the bus that late at night, and she's usually in bed and asleep by 10:30 because she has to get up so early.

I'm trying to get babysitting jobs for people who are asking for someone who will stay really late, but they only want to pay teenager rates. I'm also offering to do light housekeeping, prep cooking, and laundry.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more if you are going to be out so late at night. It's very frustrating.

I think if they are looking for child care at night, they don't want to pay for the extras.

My daughter gets door to door transportation, but we are in the US.

small bean

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:51 am
I would pay about $18 an hour for that.

To me that is like a babysitter/ housekeeper. My husband wishes I would have someone like that in my house every day from like 10 to 4. I personally dont like hired help so it is a no from me...

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:52 am
I pay $20/ hr for that

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:54 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

It's a tough call, I would honestly faster hire a teenager who will just be there for if a kid wakes up and not do any additional housework for the regular teenager rate. I'd be doing housework anyway and money is tight so I can't afford to hire a woman for a higher rate

trixx

I hear your frustration but I think it doesn't rlly matter what you think if where you live has different expectations or needs... Like the US nanny market might not yet have made it to Israel or to those families who need the services but can't /won't pay for it.
In regular USA (not frum) its at least 25/hr more if they drive, have a car, cpr certified etc

amother
Copper

It is so hard to find someone willing to stay late that I’d pay too top dollar plus bench you with everything because it’s a huge cheesed to help another person be able to go out at night when they have little kids

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 8:05 am
No way.

(and in general, my teen doesn't babysit past 10:15 - 10:30).

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 8:08 am
I'm lucky if I can talk someone into 40 shekels an hour, and that's under $12.00 US. 60 shekels would be a dream, and that's only $17.50 US.

I think I'm extra frustrated right now, because I am currently working for a family that is SO dysfunctional, and the kids rule the house. They are demanding, disrespectful, and occasionally physically violent with each other and with me. The parents are weak, and won't back me up one bit.

I'm desperate to give notice and go work for someone else, but at the same time I need to be able to buy food. Sad

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 8:58 am
In my neighborhood in Israel a cleaning lady who does heavy cleaning makes 50-60 shekel an hour. No one would pay that for light housekeeping. Straightening up and folding laundry is 30 an hour.
Post HS babysitter also makes 30 an hour, maaaaaybe 35.
Personally, if I needed a babysitter for late hours and I also had housekeeping for you to do, I would pay 40-45.
FF, I know you're amazing and caring and kind, but that's what the market dictates Sad

My friends in the states pay much more.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 9:03 am
essie14 wrote:
In my neighborhood in Israel a cleaning lady who does heavy cleaning makes 50-60 shekel an hour. No one would pay that for light housekeeping. Straightening up and folding laundry is 30 an hour.
Post HS babysitter also makes 30 an hour, maaaaaybe 35.
Personally, if I needed a babysitter for late hours and I also had housekeeping for you to do, I would pay 40-45.
FF, I know you're amazing and caring and kind, but that's what the market dictates Sad

My friends in the states pay much more.

I know that you are right. I just needed to double check and see if I was being reasonable, or if I was pricing myself out of the market. This has been extremely valuable feedback, and I really appreciate it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 9:10 am
I'm OOT in the U.S. and I would only pay $15 per hour for that bc that is what cleaning ladies here charge. Actually some teens here clean for 10/hr so depending on their age, maybe less.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I'm OOT in the U.S. and I would only pay $15 per hour for that bc that is what cleaning ladies here charge. Actually some teens here clean for 10/hr so depending on their age, maybe less.

The cleaning lady also babysit's or only does cleaning?

chanchy123

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 9:34 am
Are the kids up during most of the time? I think most people figure late night babysitting isn't usually very taxing and that evens out with the late hours. IME it is common courtesy to drive a sitter home at night. But I can see how people would go out of their way to drive a teen and less so for an adult.
If babysitting was a lot of work, kids didn't go to sleep on time, baby was fussy, sick - that's another issue.
Did the clients ask you to do anything extra? If that wasn't part of the deal you can't charge extra for it. The might prefer to do those things on their own rather than pay extra.
Now, I'd be happy to pay extra to get extra, but I could see how someone else would not.
It's a matter of supply and demand.
ETA
When my older kids were younger (about 11_12 years ago) we had two older teen sisters who babysat. They'd clean up from dinner, do dishes etc. They were amazing. They didn't charge extra but we'd always tip them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children