Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bag ban in NYC
1  2  Next

acemom

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:54 pm
Other cities already have enacted a bag ban for a while now. In NYC it is supposed to go in effect beginning of March.

Logistically, how does it work? Do I now need to always carry a bag with me in case I need to buy something? Personally, I don't always carry a purse and don't drive, so I'll need to reconsider some habits I guess.

I think grocery stores will see an uptick in delivery requests if the customers won't have enough bags to take their orders home.

Will consumers rethink small purchases if they don't want to leave the store with item in hand instead of bagged?

Thoughts please.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 4:59 pm
acemom wrote:
Other cities already have enacted a bag ban for a while now. In NYC it is supposed to go in effect beginning of March.

Logistically, how does it work? Do I now need to always carry a bag with me in case I need to buy something? Personally, I don't always carry a purse and don't drive, so I'll need to reconsider some habits I guess.

I think grocery stores will see an uptick in delivery requests if the customers won't have enough bags to take their orders home.

Will consumers rethink small purchases if they don't want to leave the store with item in hand instead of bagged?

Thoughts please.

AIUI, you'll be able to pay 5 cents for a paper bag. And most stores will have reusable bags for sale for people who forgot theirs. Its a way of building up your collection, if nothing else.

I think there will be a learning curve as we adjust. And then we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

small bean

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:32 pm
While this isn't effecting me. You will be so happy not to have bags. I never know what to do with the bags when I get home, they take up room and I never end up using them. I pack my own groceries and don't take bags for anything that wont roll in the car.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:36 pm
small bean wrote:
While this isn't effecting me. You will be so happy not to have bags. I never know what to do with the bags when I get home, they take up room and I never end up using them. I pack my own groceries and don't take bags for anything that wont roll in the car.

Shame you don't live in NY then. Because I reuse bags for so many purposes -- wrapping dirty diapers, collecting recycling, kids taking extra things to school, husband carrying a sefer in the rain, etc. etc. etc. -- and I am going to sorely miss getting bags from stores.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:51 pm
I also reuse every bag I get. Sending changes of clothes or gym clothes to school, for holding wet bathing suits in the summer, lining small trash cans, impromptu overnight bag, delivering anything to someone (a left sweater, etc), and hanging it on their doorknob. My kids even know which bags are good for what tasks. Also, my experience is that a lot of the disposable 5 cent bags you can buy don't have handles. And the time and water/products spent cleaning the reusable ones isn't nothing, and they do need to be replaced sometimes.

This will make a good fundraiser for the city. And I agree that eventually it will be normal. And we will still kvetch about it, because, New York.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:55 pm
It's just another tax. I don't drive so I won't be carrying around my own bags and I will be forced to pay the 10 cents to buy the bag. It's the same idea as the cans and soda bottles that we pay a 5 cent deposit on.
I always save the plastic bags I get and we use them all the time.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:57 pm
small bean wrote:

We live differently. I don't even own a car. I reuse every plastic bag. I'm so annoyed at this but I sucked it up and bought my own case of plastic shopping bags from Amazon. Because we use them and reuse them. I have a little basket in my kitchen to store plastic bags. It hangs on the inside of a cabinet door and takes up no space at all.

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 5:58 pm
I think its bad for business.

Yesterday, I ran to my local supermarket to pick up a few boxes of pasta. I decided to take a tote bag with me instead of using plastic shopping bags.

Guess what? I'm the queen of impulse food purchases. Well not yesterday because it all needed to fit into my bag.

So while it's good for budgeting, the stores are going to feel this one!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:00 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
It's just another tax. I don't drive so I won't be carrying around my own bags and I will be forced to pay the 10 cents to buy the bag. It's the same idea as the cans and soda bottles that we pay a 5 cent deposit on.
I always save the plastic bags I get and we use them all the time.

I don't understand what driving has to do with it. If you're intending to go to the store, why wouldn't you take a bag or 2 with you?

Again, NYC-ers, remember that there are free give aways of bags this month.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:00 pm
Is the ban in effect? I just purchased something small yesterday and they gave it to me in flimsy plastic bag.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

small bean

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:01 pm
I'm not a fan of bans. I'm just saying my opinion on bags.

Of course it will hurt business as well as customers.

I would be the person who pays for bags for small items.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:17 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I don't understand what driving has to do with it. If you're intending to go to the store, why wouldn't you take a bag or 2 with you?

What about when you aren't intending to go to the store? Or when you only have one bag with you but it's not big enough?
I'm really really frustrated by how out of touch the politicians are. Plastic bags may not be environmentally friendly but they are practical and many of us depend on them. Why can't they worry about important things like the rising anti semitism and affordable housing? Banging head

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:20 pm
It’ll take a while for stores to finish their stock of bags.
After that paper bags will be available to purchase.

In the UK when I went shopping there every store asked if I want a bag and I paid for it. Some were recyclable plasticy and others were paper and if I didn’t ask for one I’d have to walk out holding my tshirt or sweater in my hand 😂

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:21 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Where are they giving out bags?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:23 pm
small bean wrote:

I have plenty to do with bags. I have 5 small garbage cans, for which shopping bags are perfect. They are perfect for taking lunch for a kid who doesn’t have a lunch box. They are perfect for transporting food when you make for someone, to make sure the car doesn’t get dirty. They are perfect for diaper disposal.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Shame you don't live in NY then. Because I reuse bags for so many purposes -- wrapping dirty diapers, collecting recycling, kids taking extra things to school, husband carrying a sefer in the rain, etc. etc. etc. -- and I am going to sorely miss getting bags from stores.
Lol. My bachurim were saying that they won’t have “hat covers” for the rain anymore . Shopping bags are used for EVERYTHING around here.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:25 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/ds.....vents

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:26 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
What about when you aren't intending to go to the store? Or when you only have one bag with you but it's not big enough?
I'm really really frustrated by how out of touch the politicians are. Plastic bags may not be environmentally friendly but they are practical and many of us depend on them. Why can't they worry about important things like the rising anti semitism and affordable housing? Banging head

PS- the reusable bags are also made of plastic!!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

Whatever grocery stores you shop in, ask them for extra bags when you shop. That’s what I did yesterday.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 6:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Is the ban in effect? I just purchased something small yesterday and they gave it to me in flimsy plastic bag.

March 1
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics