Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Women going to coed gym?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:42 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
If you want it badly enough you make space. I’ve had a rower in my dining room and a treadmill in my kitchen at times.

That only works if you're single or if DH agrees. Some men object to having equipment in the kitchen or dining room.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:44 am
I’m chassidish. I don’t go to a coed gym. Yay for me. I do however speak loshon hora at least once a day (ouch) I’m not that careful about my brochos, and I can continue my list. I’m not making this right but creating s thread and bashing it will not help anyone. If u really wanna make sense of all the wrong in this world work on ur own middos first. It’s non of anyone’s business.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:46 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Don't you know? Running in a marathon is not oisgehalten? That's the men's job. Our job is to bake kokosh cake.

amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I'll eat the kokosh cake too thank you very much . Very Happy

If you run a marathon you get to eat more kokosh cake, don't you know? Wink That's exactly why I want to run a marathon!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:47 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Their turbans are giving them away.
As does their Yiddish speaking and boys with long payos.
Many people think that hashem doesn't go along with them when they go on vacation.

I don't know if I'd call these people believers. Maybe part time believers?
I certainly don't call these people chassidish, no matter what they wear and what language they talk.
The very tenets of chassidus is about being with Hashem at all times.

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:49 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
If you want it badly enough you make space. I’ve had a rower in my dining room and a treadmill in my kitchen at times. And most treadmills built for home use fold up.

Okay... But the gym has more options than just a treadmill and people need variety

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:53 am
I go to a mixed gym, I needed to exercise for my health and asked a Rav and he said it is ok. I am nervous every time I walk in that someone will see me and judge me.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:54 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
After careful consideration, I am going to pasken that it is acceptable to eat the Kokosh, on the couch, in the velvet robe, as long as it is chocolate kokash.
Vanilla and cinnamon are NOT acceptable.
If you have a chocolate allergy, you may come and discuss the possibility of getting a heter, but it will depend on many factors, including but not limited to; what your reaction is, how severe the allergic reaction is, what types of treatments you have already endured to try to overcome the allergy, and what segulos you have tried.

Also my oft-underappreciated Hungarian heritage won't allow me to be silent here and I need to make a PSA. Kokosh is chocolate by definition. Vanilla kokosh etc. is an oxymoron. Also it doesn't exist. But there is also makosh (poppyseed) and deosh (nuts). That is all. You may now resume your treadmill argument.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:57 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I go to a coed gym.. I don’t cover my hair when I go and I wear leggings/short sleeve T shirt. (Chassidish btw) my husband could not care less as long as I’m happy and get my workout in he’s fine with it. I would say MYOB. It doesn’t mean that you’re frummer or better than because you don’t go to coed gym.. everyone should live and let live..
Ever heard of heichiach toichiach? GOD didn't say live and let live. He instructed us to mussar our friends when we sense anything inappropriate. And your actions fits that bill.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:00 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Ever heard of heichiach toichiach? GOD didn't say live and let live. He instructed us to mussar our friends when we sense anything inappropriate. And your actions fits that bill.

There are specific limits to this mitzva. One is only allowed to give tochacha if they think it will be accepted from them. Among other restrictions. The bolded above is definitely not true.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:02 am
Odelyah wrote:
There are specific limits to this mitzva. One is only allowed to give tochacha if they think it will be accepted from them. Among other restrictions. The bolded above is definitely not true.

You're right. But she can't throw such a statement on here and say MYOB and expect not to get backlash and judgement. She did post something extremely out of the ordinary.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:03 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
IRL.
When we go to an indoor waterpark, the MO or JPF women and girls always wear full cover ups while many chassidish wear just bathing suits. A saw that at the beach in Miami as well, chassidish women in bathing suits.
I see alot when we go out to eat, the MO and JPF are very careful with washing and bentching out loud.
MO are more careful with sof z'man t'filla.

This is my observations in my experience.

Do you mean a mixed waterpark? Or during women-only hours?

And chasidim have different zmanim.

Last edited by Odelyah on Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:04 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I go to a coed gym.. I don’t cover my hair when I go and I wear leggings/short sleeve T shirt. (Chassidish btw) my husband could not care less as long as I’m happy and get my workout in he’s fine with it. I would say MYOB. It doesn’t mean that you’re frummer or better than because you don’t go to coed gym.. everyone should live and let live..
Everything else is ok... But don't go telling me that you really think uncovered hair and shorts are allowed- that's absolutely ludicrous.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:07 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Everything else is ok... But don't go telling me that you really think uncovered hair and shorts are allowed- that's absolutely ludicrous.

she said long leggings not shorts. She said short sleeves. If they are close to the elbow and it's a tunic length t-shirt she may not be oveir anything according to certain maikil shittos.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:09 am
Odelyah wrote:
she said long leggings not shorts. She said short sleeves. If they are close to the elbow and it's a tunic length t-shirt she may not be oveir anything according to certain maikil shittos.

Which they don't hold by. So it's not relevant if there are maikel shittos, none of them are Chassidish.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:10 am
As a "chassidish" woman,
and I use quotations bec. I know I'm not chassidish. But people tend to still call anyone that is born / married into chassidishism is chassidish. as if women cant have thier own beleifs. That or OTD. Nothing in between in many minds.

Just realize that they are chassidish women who drink starbucks, go to coed gyms, go to the beach in bathing suits, and have to live their life like their communities decide or else their kids will be kicked out of institutions, their parents may cut ties with them.

Stop with your skank eye. Trust me s omeone with a bathing suit in miami and a shaved head, didn't shave her head bec. she likes it that way.

Peace out.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:10 am
Odelyah wrote:

Leggings and short sleeves are not acceptable in the frum world, definitely not in the chassidish world.
And forget about the uncovered hair, this isn't even acceptable in most circles.
The only man that is allowed to see your hair is your husband, no shitta is meikil on this.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:11 am
Odelyah wrote:
Also my oft-underappreciated Hungarian heritage won't allow me to be silent here and I need to make a PSA. Kokosh is chocolate by definition. Vanilla kokosh etc. is an oxymoron. Also it doesn't exist. But there is also makosh (poppyseed) and deosh (nuts). That is all. You may now resume your treadmill argument.

Vanilla and cinnamon are only permissible when used in addition to the filling, not instead. If you make a cake that is like kokosh cake but without the kokosh, it is cloyingly sweet and out of balance. Also, poppy seeds are underrated.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:11 am
I wonder what the halacha is about going dressed tznius and dressed untznius. It may not be a halachic issue dressed tznius. I did a bit of googling, but was unable to find anything definite.
I'm not going to ask a rav because it's not something I'd ever do, just like I go completely covered at the women only beach where there is a male lifeguard, even though I know that it is 100% ok. I'm ultra sensitive and I recognize that.

So, before wondering why they do it, find out if there's a reason NOT to do it, aside from your (and my own) sensitivities.
Again, I would not do it, most people I know don't, and I very, very much hope that my own children will have the sensitivity I have and won't either do it.
There was a thread about pants a while back. It was locked for good reason, but some posters couldn't believe that there any orthodox rabbi would allow it. I understand where they are coming from, because by and large, most frum women in the Western world don't wear pants.
However, I did some research, and I found that there are definitely some orthodox rabbis (I may be mistaken, but I think Rav Ovadia Yosef among them-and he was definitely a posek accepted by many streams of Orthodox Judiasm) do allow it.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:12 am
Odelyah wrote:
Do you mean a mixed waterpark? Or during women-only hours?

And chasidim have different zmanim.

Mixed waterparks. And mixed beaches.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:13 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
IRL.
When we go to an indoor waterpark, the MO or JPF women and girls always wear full cover ups while many chassidish wear just bathing suits. A saw that at the beach in Miami as well, chassidish women in bathing suits.
I see alot when we go out to eat, the MO and JPF are very careful with washing and bentching out loud.
MO are more careful with sof z'man t'filla.

This is my observations in my experience.

Saw this first hand of what you’re describing. My husband and I were so shocked.
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise