Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is it muttar to use CHRŌM?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:42 am
CHRŌM tooth polish is the only available brand AFAIK. Can it be used even though it doesn't have a hechsher?

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:54 am
AFAIK, toothpastes do not require a hecsher.

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:15 am
AYLOR. Most toothpastes contain glycerin, which is treif. Some are makpid to use only toothpastes with a hechsher. Some are not (as you spit it out anyways and the glycerin is just there as a thickener). If you already use Colgate and Crest and the others which contain glycerin, CHROM is likely no different.

Teomima

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:38 am
malki2 wrote:
AYLOR. Most toothpastes contain glycerin, which is treif. Some are makpid to use only toothpastes with a hechsher. Some are not (as you spit it out anyways and the glycerin is just there as a thickener). If you already use Colgate and Crest and the others which contain glycerin, CHROM is likely no different.

Glycerin is not inherently treif. I have a bottle of (kosher, vegetable) glycerin in my kitchen.

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:41 am
Teomima wrote:
Glycerin is not inherently treif. I have a bottle of (kosher, vegetable) glycerin in my kitchen.

The glycerin in those toothpastes is inherently treif. It’s animal-derived. Check it out. It’s like saying gelatin isn’t inherently treif. But all places that don’t care use the pig gelatin.

Teomima

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:48 am
malki2 wrote:
The glycerin in those toothpastes is inherently treif. It’s animal-derived. Check it out. It’s like saying gelatin isn’t inherently treif. But all places that don’t care use the pig gelatin.

Interesting. I live in Israel where it doesn't seem to be an issue but good to know that it's like that in other places.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 6:05 am
Just googled this, because I had never heard of CHROM. It seems that it is a tooth polish (like nail polish for teeth), rather than toothpaste as everyone seems to be assuming. It stays on your teeth for at least twenty four hours, and comes in a variety of colours - though I assume that the OP is thinking of a white or clear version (or Purim).

That would put in firmly in the category of make up rather than a hygiene product. Since it stays on your teeth for a full day, there is a reasonable chance that some might be swallowed inadvertently during the day or when taking it off. Definitely a question for a Rav.

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:13 am
malki2 wrote:

I thought only crest may have and not Colgate.

I once called the company that makes sensydine toothpaste because I was told it’s a problem and they insisted all their products are plant based.

In today’s environment I’m shocked that toothpastes would contain animal based ingredients.

ces

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:16 am
sky wrote:
I thought only crest may have and not Colgate.

I once called the company that makes sensydine toothpaste because I was told it’s a problem and they insisted all their products are plant based.

In today’s environment I’m shocked that toothpastes would contain animal based ingredients.

You can check each toothpaste for their list of ingredients. Both Crest and Colgate have toothpastes with and without glycerin. Personally, I don't use toothpastes with glycerin but I do use toothpastes without a hechsher if they have no glycerin

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:21 am
Just went back to the website to look again, since I was trying to understand why anyone would want to tint their teeth green or purple, even if it's only for a day or so. Confused

I didn't notice before, but the website does say that it is a vegan product. Still worth checking with a Rav, but vegan means there is less likely to be questionable ingredients.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:48 am
malki2 wrote:

I did check it out. I'm sure you understand some glycerin is vegetable based and some is not. Here's what I found.

From the OK website: Toothpaste does not require a kosher symbol, but it is considered a chumra to buy toothpaste with a kosher symbol.

The CRC website says AYLOR because there are four legitimate answers:
1) Only buy toothpaste with reliable kosher certification.
2) Review the ingredient panel and only buy the toothpastes that do not contain any glycerin.
3) Choose the ones that have the glycerin listed towards the end of the ingredient panel.
4) Buy any brand and type, based on the opinion that doesn’t consider toothpaste a food item.

However the CRC website for Pesach 2019 only says "Lipstick, mouthwash and toothpaste which contains chametz should not be used."

The OU website only lists the toothpaste it certifies. It recommends AYLOR for all other toothpastes.

Vaad haRabanim Queens Pesach 2019: TOOTHPASTE - THE FOLLOWING ARE FINE WITHOUT A KFP:
COLGATE, CLOSE-UP, AIM are fine in all varieties; ACT BRACES CARE; BABY OREJEL; ORIJEL;
PEPSODENT

I couldn't find anything on the K-כ website or on the Chabad website.

The only reference I could find on the Star-K website is from 2004, meaning it may be outdated. "If there is no intention to swallow a non-food product (e.g. toothpaste, mouthwash, floss), one need not worry about the ingredients."

Not that it's reliable, but the Colgate website says "Colgate TotalSF toothpastes do not contain ingredients derived from animals. The glycerin used in our Colgate TotalSF toothpastes comes from synthetic products or vegetables."

That's what I've found. Absolutely nothing states the glycerin in toothpastes is always animal derived, which is the only way the statement I quoted from your comment would be accurate.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:54 am
ces wrote:
You can check each toothpaste for their list of ingredients. Both Crest and Colgate have toothpastes with and without glycerin. Personally, I don't use toothpastes with glycerin but I do use toothpastes without a hechsher if they have no glycerin

Glycerin can be animal or from plant oil. It isn’t always trief. I was told I can trust the companies because they are scared of lawsuits (I only personally called sensydine. I’ve only read that Colgate is plant based).

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I did check it out. I'm sure you understand some glycerin is vegetable based and some is not. Here's what I found.

From the OK website: Toothpaste does not require a kosher symbol, but it is considered a chumra to buy toothpaste with a kosher symbol.

The CRC website says AYLOR because there are four legitimate answers:
1) Only buy toothpaste with reliable kosher certification.
2) Review the ingredient panel and only buy the toothpastes that do not contain any glycerin.
3) Choose the ones that have the glycerin listed towards the end of the ingredient panel.
4) Buy any brand and type, based on the opinion that doesn’t consider toothpaste a food item.

However the CRC website for Pesach 2019 only says "Lipstick, mouthwash and toothpaste which contains chametz should not be used."

The OU website only lists the toothpaste it certifies. It recommends AYLOR for all other toothpastes.

Vaad haRabanim Queens Pesach 2019: TOOTHPASTE - THE FOLLOWING ARE FINE WITHOUT A KFP:
COLGATE, CLOSE-UP, AIM are fine in all varieties; ACT BRACES CARE; BABY OREJEL; ORIJEL;
PEPSODENT

I couldn't find anything on the K-כ website or on the Chabad website.

The only reference I could find on the Star-K website is from 2004, meaning it may be outdated. "If there is no intention to swallow a non-food product (e.g. toothpaste, mouthwash, floss), one need not worry about the ingredients."

Not that it's reliable, but the Colgate website says "Colgate TotalSF toothpastes do not contain ingredients derived from animals. The glycerin used in our Colgate TotalSF toothpastes comes from synthetic products or vegetables."

That's what I've found. Absolutely nothing states the glycerin in toothpastes is always animal derived, which is the only way the statement I quoted from your comment would be accurate.

Yes, I understand that glycerin is a chemical and can be derived in more than one way. However, as far as I’m aware, most glycerin used industrially is animal derived. You don’t need to have anything specifically stated about toothpaste.

Clarification: I was referring obviously to cases where the source is unverified. I would rely on website testimonials such as the one that you found regarding Colgate.

Last edited by malki2 on Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:02 am
Just googled, and supposedly Crest at least does not use animal derived glycerin and is ok for the vegan community

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:23 am
malki2 wrote:

This is not true. According to rabbi blumenkrantz, who is machmir, the following brands are a sample of those which never contain animal ingredients: Aim, Aqua Fresh, Adwe, Arm and Hammer, Crest, Orajel, Pepsodent, Synsodene.

Shoshie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 4:54 pm
I listened to the monthly webinar from the Star-K today. Maybe another member of Imamother was also online for it, because someone asked about glycerin in toothpaste. The two rabbis leading the webinar said Rabbi Moshe Heinemann paskans that glycerin in toothpaste is not an issue.

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:15 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
This is not true. According to rabbi blumenkrantz, who is machmir, the following brands are a sample of those which never contain animal ingredients: Aim, Aqua Fresh, Adwe, Arm and Hammer, Crest, Orajel, Pepsodent, Synsodene.

I was told otherwise. Thanks for letting me know what R Blumenkrantz said. I’ll look into it further.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 1:53 am
Bluetooth is a potential Purim costume.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bluetooth is a potential Purim costume.

I’m assuming wrong thread. But yes Bluetooth was a Viking.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:34 am
sky wrote:
I’m assuming wrong thread. But yes Bluetooth was a Viking.

Someone was asking why anyone would want to use CHROM to paint their teeth blue (or purple, or green.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics