Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
When will the coronavirus be over?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 7:45 am
I'm travelling to Israel with my family next week from the uk. I'm scared but I'm trying to stay calm knowing that we aren't in charge and need to live our lives as normal as possible.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 7:49 am
etky wrote:
Well, the corona virus is officially here in Israel.
One of the passengers from the ship who arrived this morning tested positive.
Surprise, surprise.
Good luck to us all.

Oh my I just saw this now. I'm scared to travel to Israel next week 🙈 but we're not cancelling. Maybe I should buy us all those mask thingys. What dyu all think?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 8:17 am
From the last two days of world news:

YOKOHAMA: Two passengers from a coronavirus-hit cruise ship moored near Tokyo have died and 29 people were in a serious condition, the Japanese government said on Thursday (Feb 20), as a second group of passengers disembarked after two weeks quarantined on board.

Two Japanese officials have also tested positive for the infection, a health ministry official told a news conference.

One of the officials was from the health ministry and the other from the Cabinet Secretariat, and both had worked on the Diamond Princess.

Three other officials, from the health ministry and quarantine office, had previously tested positive for the virus....Japan's health ministry reported on Thursday evening that another 13 people on the ship have been diagnosed with the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections so far to 634.

SEOUL: South Korea reported 52 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus on Friday (Feb 21), taking the national total to 156, with the majority in Daegu, the country's fourth-largest city.

Altogether 39 of the new cases were linked to the Shincheonji Church of Yoshke in the southern city of Daegu, the Korean Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said.

More than 80 members of Shincheonji have now been infected, starting with a 61-year-old woman who developed a fever on Feb 10 but attended at least four church services before being diagnosed.

As of Friday more than 400 members of the church are showing symptoms of the disease, though tests were still ongoing, Daegu Mayor Kwon Young-jin said at a briefing.

SINGAPORE: Ten more COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospital on Friday (Feb 21), including a DBS employee and several people linked to the Grace Assembly of God church cluster, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in a daily update.

Singapore reported one more confirmed case of COVID-19 , bringing the number of cases in the country to 86.

And if that doesn't wake you up, maybe this will:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.....9ecf6

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 8:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
From the last two days of world news:

And here's this:

Here’s a summary of what’s happened so far on Friday.

- 450 more passengers disembarked from the Diamond Princess.
- Two Australians passengers who were repatriated from Japan tested positive for the virus after arriving home.
- Another doctor in Wuhan died from the virus. He was 29.
- South Korea reported a big jump in confirmed cases, to 156, as it added 52 new cases on Friday. The vast majority of new cases were in the city of Daegu, where special measures were put in place to control the virus’s spread.
- New cases in China reported on Friday totalled 1,109, up from 394 reported on Thursday. The total numbers of infections stands at 75,685.
- China reported 118 deaths nationally, taking total deaths from the outbreak to 2,236.
- 500 Chinese prisoners are infected with Covid-19, across three provinces. This includes 230 inmates at Wuhan’s Women’s Prison, where the director was sacked.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 8:37 am
If I had plans to fly to E"Y I would do so; I would wear a mask (check which type of mask is best and for how long effective) when flying and in the airport and use hand sanitizer often, wash hands with soap often, and make an effort to not touch my eyes, mouth, nose, etc.
I would spray sanitizer or lysol or the like on the seat and arm rests etc -- I would not use the seat pocket in front of me. I would spray and wipe down the tables when using for eating or anything.
I would not sit on public toilets and when flushing I would close lid when possible and/or be away as far as possible when flushing. I would not use bathroom hot air dryers but rather paper towels or toilet paper. I would flush using a paper towel or something so as not to touch it or water faucets or door to and from the bathroom etc with my hand. I would spray the bottom of my shoes with lysol disinfectant. I would not take off my shoes when walking around the plane or into the bathroom. If changing children I would bring disposable cover to put down to protect surface from coming into contact with child. After changing child I would wash/sanitize my hands. And make sure the kids using bathroom and the rest do the same as you. And put other common sense measures in place so as not to spread germs. Id bring tons of wipes and maybe even disposable thin clear gloves like people use in food prep. If possible Id bring my own water bottles, if using a can or other drink Id wipe the can or top first with wipe.Spray or wipe your phone or devices periodically.
(the disease seems also to be spread reportedly through fecal matter and some types of plumbing)
Spray or wipe down your passport, dr. license, carry on handles, or anything else thats touched by public officials/employees.
Much of this I would do in any public place now.
And would never use or let my children use public drinking fountains anywhere.
Just my thoughts -- you can ask your dr.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
If I had plans to fly to E"Y I would do so; I would wear a mask (check which type of mask is best and for how long effective) when flying and in the airport and use hand sanitizer often, wash hands with soap often, and make an effort to not touch my eyes, mouth, nose, etc.
I would spray sanitizer or lysol or the like on the seat and arm rests etc -- I would not use the seat pocket in front of me. I would spray and wipe down the tables when using for eating or anything.
I would not sit on public toilets and when flushing I would close lid when possible and/or be away as far as possible when flushing. I would not use bathroom hot air dryers but rather paper towels or toilet paper. I would flush using a paper towel or something so as not to touch it or water faucets or door to and from the bathroom etc with my hand. I would spray the bottom of my shoes with lysol disinfectant. I would not take off my shoes when walking around the plane or into the bathroom. If changing children I would bring disposable cover to put down to protect surface from coming into contact with child. After changing child I would wash/sanitize my hands. And make sure the kids using bathroom and the rest do the same as you. And put other common sense measures in place so as not to spread germs. Id bring tons of wipes and maybe even disposable thin clear gloves like people use in food prep. If possible Id bring my own water bottles, if using a can or other drink Id wipe the can or top first with wipe.
(the disease seems also to be spread reportedly through fecal matter and some types of plumbing)
Much of this I would do in any public place.

There's only ONE case in Israel and anyone who has been in contact is quarantined. I don't get the hype. There are more cases everywhere else including in the US than the one in Israel. The US actually KNOWINGLY evacuated 14 cruise passengers who tested positive for the virus.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 8:51 am
Yes -- Exactly why I would travel to E"Y.

The precautions are because of the travel. The airports. The airplane (s). The other travelers.
The rest of the world.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
There's only ONE case in Israel and anyone who has been in contact is quarantined. I don't get the hype. There are more cases everywhere else including in the US than the one in Israel. The US actually KNOWINGLY evacuated 14 cruise passengers who tested positive for the virus.

It's not the actual being in Israel that I'm afraid of. I'm more scared of being in the airport and plane with loads of ppl from all around the world than actually being in Israel. Its probably the safest place at the moment with only 1 case...

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:11 am
exactly

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:12 am
I would not sit on public toilets and when flushing I would close lid when possible and/or be away as far as possible when flushing. I would not use bathroom hot air dryers but rather paper towels or toilet paper. I would flush using a paper towel or something so as not to touch it or water faucets or door to and from the bathroom etc with my hand. I would spray the bottom of my shoes with lysol disinfectant. I would not take off my shoes when walking around the plane or into the bathroom. If changing children I would bring disposable cover to put down to protect surface from coming into contact with child. After changing child I would wash/sanitize my hands. And make sure the kids using bathroom and the rest do the same as you. And put other common sense measures in place so as not to spread germs. Id bring tons of wipes and maybe even disposable thin clear gloves like people use in food prep. If possible Id bring my own water bottles, if using a can or other drink Id wipe the can or top first with wipe.
Much of this I would do in any public place now.

Yes thanks I usually am quite OCD when it comes to cleanliness on planes etc anyway but I'll take extra precautions. I'll go to my local pharmacy and ask about the masks etc bc I've not got much time left now if I wanted to order from amazon or Ebay. I don't think the kids will want to wear their masks lol. I'll see what my pharmacist says after shabbos.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:22 am
Go and enjoy! Do whatever hishtadlus you decide is necessary. All up to Hashem.

Wishing you all a happy healthy trip.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:32 am
Researchers at the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the University of Texas at Austin claimed to have made a breakthrough in their coronavirus research on Wednesday and said their data could help develop a vaccine.

https://www.foxnews.com/health.....rough

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:46 am
yes -- reports are saying there MAY be a vaccine in about 18 months which is very rapid compared to the average couple of decades (as per the article)
There are also reports of progress made on various treatments and defenses too out of Israel.
Hopefully all these efforts will prove successful.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 10:25 am
Has anyone been able to obtain face masks recently?
My local pharmacies are out of stock, as is Target.

nchr

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Has anyone been able to obtain face masks recently?
My local pharmacies are out of stock, as is Target.

Face masks are not recommended by the CDC and may actually make someone more susceptible. They are recommended to be worn if you are sick or if you work in healthcare.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 11:44 am
And now it has reached Europe.

52 known cases in Italy - all apart from 3 just reported within the past couple of days, with 2 deaths.

etky

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

Well, the situation has unfortunately but not surprisingly changed over Shabbat.
Seems that a tour group from South Korea that was here last week and visited places all over the country (including the Me'ara in Hevron) had 8-9 sick members.
In addition, there are currently about 1000 South Korean tourists in Israel who have just been instructed not to leave their hotel rooms.
Meanwhile there are Israeli who have been placed in home quarantine (which is an ineffectual joke) because of this new development: hotel personnel who cleaned the hotel rooms that they stayed in, a group of 30 eighth graders and their teachers from Be'er Sheva who were in a cave in an archaeological site with or immediately after the group, and others.
Use your own judgement but honestly, if I had travel plans that included Israel in the immediate future I would cancel them. Actually, I would not travel anywhere right now if I didn't have to.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 12:43 pm
yes -- reports are saying there MAY be a vaccine in about 18 months which is very rapid compared to the average couple of decades (as per the article)
There are also reports of progress made on various treatments and defenses too out of Israel.
Hopefully all these efforts will prove successful.

It will be interesting to see what the anti-vaxxers will make out of this. TMI

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 2:31 pm
etky wrote:
Well, the situation has unfortunately but not surprisingly changed over Shabbat.
Seems that a tour group from South Korea that was here last week and visited places all over the country (including the Me'ara in Hevron) had 8-9 sick members.
In addition, there are currently about 1000 South Korean tourists in Israel who have just been instructed not to leave their hotel rooms.
Meanwhile there are Israeli who have been placed in home quarantine (which is an ineffectual joke) because of this new development: hotel personnel who cleaned the hotel rooms that they stayed in, a group of 30 eighth graders and their teachers from Be'er Sheva who were in a cave in an archaeological site with or immediately after the group, and others.
Use your own judgement but honestly, if I had travel plans that included Israel in the immediate future I would cancel them. Actually, I would not travel anywhere right now if I didn't have to.

Oh no Sad we'll still be going iyH. We booked this trip months ago and my kids are so so excited. We can't afford to cancel and rebook. And who knows what the future holds. We're visiting our elderly grandmother. If it were really that dangerous to travel now they'd cancel all flights to and from anywhere with a few cases. Hashem will protect us iyH.

etky

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 2:48 pm
Another 60 school kids from the north + their teachers+ workers at the Matzada National Park now reportedly put into home quarantine b/c they were with the Korean group at Matzada.
I'm worried cause DD was at one of the tourist sites that the group visited a day after they had been there. The virus apparently lingers a while in the air and they're not sure for how long. Also some of the people who were at the site when the Koreans were there were probably also there the next day when DD was.
They are also videos of the group in a shopping mall in Be'er Sheva where she is an University, and they slept in several hotels in the cit. It's impossible to know how many people in Be'er Sheva have been exposed now to the virus and DD volunteers at a school there (not the school that the kids who are in quarantine go to , but still...). Then again, that also pretty much goes for the rest of the country too and also for the Palestinian Authority which they they also visited intensively.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics