Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did you plan for the ban (shopping bags)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Did you buy permanent shopping bags?
Yes  
 29%  [ 39 ]
No  
 70%  [ 93 ]
Total Votes : 132

soap suds

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:31 am
cbsp wrote:
Not from what I've read. They're required to charge for the paper bags.

What's the logic in that?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:36 am
I moved from NY to a place that already did this and it really wasn't difficult. It was nice, actually, to not be so wasteful.

If you're using a car, this is the easiest: save the next cardboard box(es) you get and keep it (them) in your trunk. Bring the shopping wagon to your car, unload into the boxes, bring them into the house, unpack, boxes back into car.

We also bought a large open laundry basket that we keep in the car for this purpose. Really easy.

Chloe22

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:09 am
I have been saving plastic bags for the last year. I'm also buying reusable bags.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:16 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
What kind of plastic bags did they give over their in NY? I've never seen a plastic grocery bag that can be used over and over again.

Shopping bags from clothing boutiques are a different category, those are reusable. But from the grocery? Don't they tear? I used to use them one more time, for garbage in a small bathroom bin.

Many stores give extra thick plastic bags that can be used over and over. I tried to buy those on Amazon but I got the wrong ones. I bought super thin ones by mistake so they are one time use instead.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:25 am
I bought 2 of each of the Nylon the very sturdy boxy type and cooler bags. It was $70 on Amazon. I think I can pay the bag charge for less money and not have to worry about the inconvenience of that storage in my vehicle or home. I won’t have to clean them out and I will reuse the disposable ones. I feel like I’m coming out ahead.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:16 am
Truly much ado about nothing.

Every store sells reusable bags for a dollar or so. These have flat bottoms and longish straps so they are very convenient to carry and also they hold much more stuff safely because they can be packed with heavy stuff on bottom and lighter stuff on top.

Most of the civilized world has adjusted to this - in metropolitan areas where people walk to stores and in places where people shop with cars. I lived through the transition in Los Angeles and survived.

The reusable bags sold in the grocery are very durable. I have yet to have one rip yet.

They do not become germy because meats and produce are still wrapped in thin plastic which is still available in those departments. I am not sure what kind of germs people are afraid of since food items are either packaged or cooked. How is this contamination supposed to occur?

Optione

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:36 am
I'm thinking about times when I specifically need a disposable shopping bag. What should I do with a dirty diaper? And what about when it's my daughter's turn to bring in snack for the class and she has 2 big bags of pretzels? Those kind of examples are why I'm dreading the ban the most...

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:37 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I think those are allowed. For now.

But first they came for the shopping bags and nobody protested....

I'm frightened.

You seem to be frightened of a lot of things.
[Edited]

Environmentally, this is the right thing to do. It will take a bit of getting used to, but once the learning curve is over, I doubt we'll even notice it. In fact, I think you'll get to like the bags with longer handles, so you can carry them on your shoulders. I started using them for a lot of things well before the bad because they're just so much easier. We purchased this for the trunk of our car https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....sc=1, and one of the ones that fits in its own case for my purse. Places like Trader Joes and Walgreens also have ones I like a lot. And when I forget one, I just add to my collection.

I'm old enough to remember the days before plastic shopping bags. Everyone used paper (without handles), which will still be available for 5 cents a bag. We survived then, we'll survive now.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:41 am
Optione wrote:
I'm thinking about times when I specifically need a disposable shopping bag. What should I do with a dirty diaper? And what about when it's my daughter's turn to bring in snack for the class and she has 2 big bags of pretzels? Those kind of examples are why I'm dreading the ban the most...

They sell rolls of inexpensive plastic waste basket liners on amazon. I use those anyway to line all my trash baskets.

If you are sending something which needs to be toted in a bag which won't be returned, they do still sell thick plastic bags at the store for people who aren't using recyclable bags. They are about 10 or 15 cents. I am not sure because the cost is added to my total when I have forgotten to bring a bag.

Also the ban is only for grocery stores so if you get to a drug store or wherever, you still get a free bag for your purchase.

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:46 am
Amarante wrote:
Also the ban is only for grocery stores so if you get to a drug store or wherever, you still get a free bag for your purchase.

Incorrect; the ban is for any store that collects NYS sales tax with an exception for pharmacies. I guess if there's a store that's not required to collect sales tax they'd be exempt? Like if there's a clothing store that doesn't sell anything expensive and nothing but clothing (I.e. no accessories)? Not sure about that.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:47 am
SixOfWands wrote:

I'm old enough to remember the days before plastic shopping bags. Everyone used paper (without handles), which will still be available for 5 cents a bag. We survived then, we'll survive now.

This is exactly the reason plastic bags became a necessity. Because paper bags rip and don't do well with liquids.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:49 am
Rain and paper bags.

Lets see how that works.

I think I'll stop shopping. I'll just sit on the curb collecting all different kinds of merchandise that were tumbling out of ripped, wet bags.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:52 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Yeah, and I'm old enough to remember the days before cell phones. Let me see you give up that. Or electricity, or cars, or appliances.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:53 am
Is the plastic bag ban in new york or all over?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:09 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
This is exactly the reason plastic bags became a necessity. Because paper bags rip and don't do well with liquids.

Do you carry a lot of liquids that aren't in containers home from the grocery store?

Well, then you will be much happier with reusable bags. Any time I've tried to use a supermarket plastic bag to dispose of wet garbage, its leaked, because most have holes in the bottom.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Yeah, and I'm old enough to remember the days before cell phones. Let me see you give up that. Or electricity, or cars, or appliances.

If you consider disposable plastic bags as important to your quality of life as electricity, then by all mean, buy them.

https://www.storesupply.com/pc.....D_BwE

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:20 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Do you carry a lot of liquids that aren't in containers home from the grocery store?

Well, then you will be much happier with reusable bags. Any time I've tried to use a supermarket plastic bag to dispose of wet garbage, its leaked, because most have holes in the bottom.

You have ripped bags and therefore I should be happy with no bags?
I'll take the good plastic bags with no holes in the bottom please.

I'm not buying reusable bags because they'll get dirty from spills or smelly from food and I'll have another thing in my laundry pile.
I'm the kind of person that would rather dump it than wash it. I support the plastic industry because it keeps me sane.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
You have ripped bags and therefore I should be happy with no bags?
I'll take the good plastic bags with no holes in the bottom please.

I'm not buying reusable bags because they'll get dirty from spills or smelly from food and I'll have another thing in my laundry pile.
I'm the kind of person that would rather dump it than wash it. I support the plastic industry because it keeps me sane.

They're not ripped. They're made with holes at the bottom.

BTW, since your bags all get smelly from food and spills, how are you reusing them?

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 12:03 pm
soap suds wrote:
What's the logic in that?

You're expecting logic from "feel good" legislation?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 12:37 pm
cbsp wrote:

I love how all of you are great at spending my money with all sorts of wonderful ideas for something that doesn't actually do anything to save the environment.

Source, please.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics