Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did you plan for the ban (shopping bags)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Did you buy permanent shopping bags?
Yes  
 29%  [ 39 ]
No  
 70%  [ 93 ]
Total Votes : 132

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:38 am
No one currently shops at Aldi? They're in twenty countries, yet to my knowledge, they've never given out free bags. If you don't bring in your own bags, you can take one of their free, empty boxes and use it. At Aldi, by the way, you pack your own groceries.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:42 am
We have had this bag bag in Chicago for a few years and one of the neighboring suburbs that has the large kosher supermarket/target had it before that. Everyone freaked out for no reason. They stores found some loophole that if the bag is strong enough to be reused they can keep giving them out so they made a much much thicker plastic bag. I re use these bags multiple times since they dont rip like the old plastic bags that were really flimsy.

I prefer paper like trader joes/whole foods or a different grocery store in my area give out.

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:48 am
The reusable bags do rip. I have had quite a few rip on me but its over many years.

The best part of the bag bas was that my shopping, when delivered no longer comes in plastic bags so the delivery guy empties the shopping crates onto my counter.

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:48 am
mha3484 wrote:
We have had this bag bag in Chicago for a few years and one of the neighboring suburbs that has the large kosher supermarket/target had it before that. Everyone freaked out for no reason. They stores found some loophole that if the bag is strong enough to be reused they can keep giving them out so they made a much much thicker plastic bag. I re use these bags multiple times since they dont rip like the old plastic bags that were really flimsy.

I prefer paper like trader joes/whole foods or a different grocery store in my area give out.

NY bans any free plastic "carry out" bags. Regardless of whether or not they're reusable.

From the exempt list though "; (I) bags prepackaged for sale to a customer;" stores can just prepackage sets of five-ten bags for customers

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:52 am
SixOfWands wrote:
They're not ripped. They're made with holes at the bottom.

BTW, since your bags all get smelly from food and spills, how are you reusing them?

I reuse most of them. That's the point. I throw away when I'm ready to. When it's shredded or wet or no longer usable.

I don't know what a bag is that's made with holes in the bottom.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:54 am
gamanit wrote:
NY bans any free plastic "carry out" bags. Regardless of whether or not they're reusable.

From the exempt list though "; (I) bags prepackaged for sale to a customer;" stores can just prepackage sets of five-ten bags for customers

That's not true. If they are reusable (as defined by NY) they are available.

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
That's not true. If they are reusable (as defined by NY) they are available.

If it's presisely the type of reusable bag mentioned in the law I guess you're right. Durable plastic shopping bags don't have handles that are attached separately so aren't considered reusable even though they are mostly reused.

NY DEP wrote:
What is considered a reusable bag? What does the term "durable" mean within the definition of a reusable bag?
As provided in proposed Part 351 draft regulations:

'Reusable bag' means a bag that:

Is specifically designed and manufactured for multiple reuses;
Has a minimum lifespan of 125 uses, with a use equal to the ability to carry a minimum of 22 pounds over a distance of at least 175 feet;
Holds at least 22 pounds for the duration of the lifespan of the bag;
Has at least one strap or handle that is separately attached, does not stretch and is fastened to the bag in such a manner that it allows the bag to meet the strength and durability standards in paragraphs 351-1.2(n)(2) and (3) of proposed Part 351 draft regulations, unless otherwise approved by the department; and
Is hand washable or machine washable;
Has a minimum thickness of 10 mils for bags made of petroleum-based or non-petroleum-based low-density polyethylene (LDPE) or high-density polyethylene (HDPE) or other plastic material of petroleum or non-petroleum origin;
Has a minimum fabric weight of 80 grams per square meter (GSM) for bags made of any non-film plastic of natural, synthetic, petroleum based, or non-petroleum-based origin, including woven or nonwoven polypropylene (PP), polyethylene-terephthalate (PET), cotton, jute, or canvas; is made of a combination of the materials specified in subparagraphs 351-1.2(n)(5)(I) and (ii) of proposed Part 351 draft regulations; or
has a design of equivalent material strength and durability, as approved by the department.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:13 am
gamanit wrote:
Proposed Regulations

The Regulations are final now. "Separately attached" has been removed.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/ma.....l.pdf

(n) ‘Reusable bag’ means a bag that:
(1) is either made of:
(I) cloth or other machine washable fabric; or
(ii) other non-film plastic washable material; and
(2) has at least one strap or handle that does not stretch and is fastened to the bag in such a
manner that it allows the bag to meet the strength and durability standards in paragraphs 351-1.2
(n)(3) and (4);
(3) has a minimum lifespan of 125 uses, with a use equal to the ability to carry a minimum of 22
pounds over a distance of at least 175 feet; and
(4) has a minimum fabric weight of 80 grams per square meter (GSM) or equivalent for bags
made of any non-film plastic of natural, synthetic, petroleum based, or non-petroleum-based
origin, including woven or nonwoven polypropylene (PP), polyethylene-terephthalate (PET),
cotton, jute, or canvas.

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Source, please.

You're asking me to spend my money, you provide the source that it does.

The whole plastic straw ban was based on an admittedly invented number. Not the same as the bags, I know, but I'm mistrustful of overreach in legislation, especially with an admitted agenda.

https://www.usatoday.com/story.....3002/

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:29 am
cbsp wrote:
You're asking me to spend my money, you provide the source that it does.

The whole plastic straw ban was based on an admittedly invented number. Not the same as the bags, I know, but I'm mistrustful of overreach in legislation, especially with an admitted agenda.

https://www.usatoday.com/story.....3002/

(1) do you think the following is accurate

(2) do you care?

Quote:
New York residents use 23 billion plastic carryout bags annually. Each bag is only used
for an average of 12 minutes. A significant number of these bags make their way into
the environment causing litter and damaging wildlife. Bags can be found in our
landscape, along our roadways, and in our oceans, rivers and lakes. These bags do
not biodegrade and persist for years.

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:40 am
The Regulations are final now. "Separately attached" has been removed.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/ma.....l.pdf

Hmmmm.... There's an even bigger change in the regulations which makes the entire ban much more restricted. I wonder if they made it this way on purpose in order for the environmentalists not to realize what a limited ban this actually is. This shouldn't affect me very much at all.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:44 am
gamanit wrote:
Hmmmm.... There's an even bigger change in the regulations which makes the entire ban much more restricted. I wonder if they made it this way on purpose in order for the environmentalists not to realize what a limited ban this actually is. This shouldn't affect me very much at all.

I think you are missing the relevance of the definition of 'store'.

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:51 am
I think you are missing the relevance of the definition of 'store'.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying completely. I'm saying that the entire ban will now only apply to supermarkets and chain stores and will now no longer affect me very much.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:53 am
gamanit wrote:
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying completely. I'm saying that the entire ban will now only apply to supermarkets and chain stores and will now no longer affect me very much.

no, you are misunderstanding the relevance of the definition of 'store' in the regulation.

Read the text of the ban (its repeated in the regulation).

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:59 am
no, you are misunderstanding the relevance of the definition of 'store' in the regulation.

Read the text of the ban (its repeated in the regulation).

Why can't you state it here instead of sending people to read things?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:03 am
These are a great idea!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R.....0cnVl

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Why can't you state it here instead of sending people to read things?

if she's already reading the regulation... she has it 'open'.

however.

A person required to collect tax shall not:
(a) distribute any plastic carryout bag to its customers unless the bag is an exempt bag;

no reference to 'store' here.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:13 am
gamanit wrote:

Anyone required to collect sales tax is subject to the ban.

STORES are required to make reusable bags available to customers. Among other things.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:23 am
tj max has cute ones for a dollar and trader joes has them I bought them before the ban

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 12:07 pm
[quote="amother [ Lavender ]"]First I've heard of reusable bags harboring germs. Your food is anyway all packaged, so what does it matter? The supermarket trolley also harbors germs, as do the doors. It's not good to be too OCD about germs, it causes superbugs etc.

I am no scientist, but I've seen many, many pictures of Israel's beaches littered with tons of flimsy plastic bags, so I'm going to assume that this will help combat that somewhat.[/quote

From what I understood from the article I read about it, it is bad to store the reusable bags in the car because it is warm and the bacteria grow in the bags so one must wash the bags frequently. Another thing to keep in mind.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics