Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you donate a kidney?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:14 pm
I'm in this WhatsApp chat of frum Jewish women and someone on the chat donated their kidney today. And everyone is like writing chizzuk and how incredible she is and so on, and my reaction is ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? You donated your kidney to a stranger? I guess maybe I'm just not holy enough to be on that chat or something.

What do you think of live kidney donation? Would you do it yourself?

Also can you please daven for a refuah for the donor Chaya Devora bas Bracha, and recipient Gershon Ben Galina.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:16 pm
im scared on needles and dont even get the flu shot so I would not do it
identical twins have the perfect match

fleetwood

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:17 pm
I would do it..but with my history of stones,not sure I would be a good candidate.

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:18 pm
Yes, I would. My dad gave a kidney to his brother more than 25 years ago. My uncle is still BH doing well. My dad never hesitated. Seeing the change in my uncle-yes, I would do it even for a stranger.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:27 pm
Wow you guys are amazing.

tweety1

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:52 pm
It would be my dream but I'm petrified of needles, surgery etc.

hodeez

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:54 pm
I wouldn't do it for a stranger bc I would be worried that in the future chas vshalom someone in my family would need it and I wouldnt be able to help them.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:59 pm
I have hemophilia C and need fresh frozen plasma for all surgery and it makes me nervous so I try to avoid surgery.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:17 pm
I want to do it and my husband refuses. We asked a Rav and he said I have to respect my husband’s wishes and he says it’s not so simple to donate something like that.

Mostly my husband is afraid I might die, but I think he’s secretly more afraid of watching the children while I recover. LOL

happyone

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:23 pm
I cannot donate for medical reasons. If I were eligible, I'd do it in a heartbeat !

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:24 pm
I would do it and technically would for a stranger but I'm "saving it" in case chv a family member needs it. Also at my stage in life it would be so practical, but in theory yes.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:25 pm
Yes. I donated to a stranger about 5 years ago. It was a wonderful experience. I'm still on a high from the opportunity to have given life. My recovery was bh smooth.
I researched it beforehand medically and got a psak from Rav Chaim Kanievsky. He did ask if my husband agreed and the answer was yes so he said to go ahead!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:25 pm
It is my secret dream. Just thinking of giving a new life to someone else would propel me to do it.
I would just be nervous about the surgery and recovery. And being stuck with a scar.
I'd be nervous that my body would never look and be the same after...

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:26 pm
I would for sure give to family. Regarding a stranger - I asked a Rav once who told me that when you are still in child bearing years you shouldn't.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:27 pm
No scar. It was done laproscopically, tiny incisions. One onthe belly button, honestly blends right in.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:28 pm
My father needed a kidney transplant but refused to even let his children be tested to see if we were a match. If he would have let it would have been my honor.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:29 pm
hodeez wrote:
I wouldn't do it for a stranger bc I would be worried that in the future chas vshalom someone in my family would need it and I wouldnt be able to help them.

In that case your relative would be at the top of
The donor list. So it can only help.

And to answer op, my dream is to donate a kidney. Every time I bring it up my husband loses it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:30 pm
That's interesting about the relative of a donor being moved to the top of the list. I thought it was only for the donor himself?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:33 pm
I plan to donate when I'm done having children and the youngest is out of toddlerhood. I used to think I would save for a family member if they chv needed, but then I learned that family members of donors get priority on transplant lists, so now I'm fine with the idea of giving to a stranger. The reason I'm waiting is because a) I would not want to undergo a pregnancy with only one kidney and b) while I'm still in the little kid stage of life, I cannot afford to put myself out of commission for weeks. But when I'm done with that stage, I plan to join the donor list right away!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:37 pm
My youngest was about 18 months when I did it. I had a housekeeper for a month after because I couldn't lift her. Physically the recovery was really not a big deal. I enjoyed every minute of my time off from work. I shopped and did errands etc!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics