Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Frum Slang
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Malkqueen

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:18 pm
mommyla wrote:
Attention writers of children's books: "air" and "hear" do not rhyme. Yes, maybe in your circles they do, but in most they do not. Please do not attempt to rhyme them in the book that I'm reading to my kids in my decidedly not-NY accent!

How about "sliding pond" (most of us just call it a "slide"). What even is that?

Others that I've seen written here but never heard spoken: "each others" and "mines" (as in "she loves my SIL's kids but not mines" or "we gave MM to each others"). Ouch. At first I thought it was a typo but I've seen it a few times since then... Come to think of it, though, my European grandmother used to say "mines" sometimes.

Please enlighten a clueless NY'er. How does one pronounce these words elsewhere?

nchr

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:22 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
Please enlighten a clueless NY'er. How does one pronounce these words elsewhere?

Air would be ay-r
Hear would be heeeeer.

nchr

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:22 pm
TzipporahN wrote:
Supper is British English

But is also used by frum Jews in NY.

iyar

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:34 pm
Malkqueen wrote:

Seriously?
Okay I’ll take the bait.
The vowel sound in hair, hare (the guy who looks like a rabbit), bear (the furry guy aka Dov), and share (what all good little citizens do with their toys, and what Bernie wants us to do with our hard earned paychecks) sounds like a segol in Hebrew, similar to the sound of the “E” in Moshe bEn Amram, ErEtz Israel, Bat ShEva.
The vowel sound in hear, ear (the thing you hear with), clear (as in a cloudless sky), beer (MM beverage), sheer (from the deniers of the panty hose thread) sounds like a cheereek in Hebrew, like the “I”s in the dira your son lived in when he went to the Mir.

emmes

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:51 pm
nchr wrote:
Supper.
As opposed to Dinner.

Nothing wrong here. Supper is the evening meal. Dinner is the main meal of the day, either lunch or supper. Depends on what country you are in.

Malkqueen

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:56 pm
Thanks nchr and iyar.
I'm trying out the sound (my kids probably think I'm nuts, saying air air air to myself) and I see what you mean; it doesn't actually rhyme. But, even bear and fear have a subtle almost-second syllable (in my dialect, as in be-uhr, fee-uhr), so for kids' books I'd just chalk it up to poetic license.

shantelle

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 4:20 pm
aliavi wrote:
Guilty. Other how do other people communicate the same sentiment?

I’ve heard/seen “I see”. Which honestly makes the same amount or less sense than “I hear”

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 5:01 pm
Yes, "I see" isn't exclusive to frum ppl.... Or not-yeshivish may say "I hear what you're saying..." And not just stick with the 2 words alone.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 5:10 pm
emmes wrote:
Nothing wrong here. Supper is the evening meal. Dinner is the main meal of the day, either lunch or supper. Depends on what country you are in.

Of course it’s not wrong, but it is frum speak, since most Americans say dinner.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 11:27 am
The one I hate most of all, "My husband doesn't let."

Brownies

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 4:16 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Surely you jest- Fred Weasly (not Jewish AFAIK)

Lol. I’m not saying that “surely” is a “Jewish” word. I’m saying that it’s overused, (often also in badly-rhymed books). E.g. “to the park we will surely go”.

chanatron1000

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 7:12 pm
Poets have every right to rhyme words such as "air", "vase", "pecan", and "caramel" according to their own pronunciation.

b.chadash

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 8:03 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
The only people I’ve ever heard say this, speak Yiddish as their first language. In Yiddish, it’s either this or either that, so it makes sense that they would say that when speaking English.

Or they speak Yiddish, or they speak hebrew.
או זה , או זה
LOL

b.chadash

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 8:21 pm
You're joking me!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 8:33 pm
Using itch instead of scratch

paperflowers

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 8:36 pm
iyar wrote:
Seriously?
Okay I’ll take the bait.
The vowel sound in hair, hare (the guy who looks like a rabbit), bear (the furry guy aka Dov), and share (what all good little citizens do with their toys, and what Bernie wants us to do with our hard earned paychecks) sounds like a segol in Hebrew, similar to the sound of the “E” in Moshe bEn Amram, ErEtz Israel, Bat ShEva.
The vowel sound in hear, ear (the thing you hear with), clear (as in a cloudless sky), beer (MM beverage), sheer (from the deniers of the panty hose thread) sounds like a cheereek in Hebrew, like the “I”s in the dira your son lived in when he went to the Mir.

Not a segol, a tzayray.

nomee

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 9:19 pm
Is she coming “with”? (Along)

b.chadash

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 9:22 pm
"How does it look like?"
Drives me nuts every time I hear it.

Odelyah

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 9:39 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Using itch instead of scratch

Yes! And gate instead of fence.

To be fair though, itch/scratch is a common mistake not exclusive to Jews (although I agree that it is disproportionately widespread among us). I googled "itch or scratch" and many results came up about this.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 10:05 pm
soundofsilence wrote:
https://mishpacha.com/top-5-fancy-derashah-vocabulary-words/

And we have Rabbi Emanuel Feldman, shlit'a, who effortlessly uses words like adumbration.
I vote this is good for the Jews.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics