Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Frum Slang
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

tigerwife

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:09 pm
I don’t know if this is a frum thing, but I hear people say “Leave go” instead of “let go” and es macht mich meshige Wink

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:41 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I don’t know if this is a frum thing, but I hear people say “Leave go” instead of “let go” and es macht mich meshige Wink

Ooooh, I HATE that! Also "land up" instead of "end up" At wits end

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:56 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Like it. And done. Thanks

Your welcome!

Laiya

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:03 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't know where you come from but jew-isms sounds offensive to me. Like we don't know how to talk or something. Do you say black-isms? Anyway, yiddishisms really exist. And while that would translate exactly into "jew-isms" , the connotation feels different because its being translated from a different language.

Reminds me of a certain someone's "Jewniverse"

shantelle

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:05 pm
I can’t get anything done today with all the kids “on my head”

I need to “put up” my Cholent.

Someone mentioned this, but I never realized using the phrase “makes me nervous” the way they typical yeshivish person does, was unusual. Recently I mentioned to a non Jew that so and so was making me nervous and they were so confused, trying to figure out what I was nervous/worried about (while I just meant the person was getting on my nerves!)

b.chadash

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:08 pm
Juxtaposition /juxtaposed
Not really slang, but its Artscrollian language, and I don't think you will ever see it outside of the frum world.

chicco

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:09 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I think that's more an under-35-ism. And it makes me think of cannibals.

When your kids are little, you just want to eat them up. Now that they are older, you wish you had.

b.chadash

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:10 pm
Or this or that (instead of either this or that)
Plotzing
Chalishing

Laiya

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:11 pm
sushilover wrote:
Shmoiling

Hold of, hold with. I know it's a perfectly valid word, but I've only heard it used by frum people.

By the way, I hope this doesn't cause anyone to feel self conscious about the words they use. Slangs, dialects, and accents are beautiful! It would be a very colorless world indeed if we all sounded like white, upper class news broadcasters.

Also shmeasy, shmickles, or just plain shmicks! (But to be fair, I've only ever heard little kids use these)

turca

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:22 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Or this or that (instead of either this or that)
Plotzing
Chalishing

I do understand plotzing (collapsing?) What is chalishing?

ckk

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:29 pm
turca wrote:
I do understand plotzing (collapsing?) What is chalishing?

Lit plotzing is to burst.
And chalishing is to faint

lilies

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:41 pm
ckk wrote:
Lit plotzing is to burst.
And chalishing is to faint

Always thought chalish was hebrew-based.

lilies

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
"Getting bageled". This one is Yeshivish. When you can identify a Jew by something that the average non Jew would not notice.

Reminds me of the 'tuna bagel' derogative label. Not quite sure when its used.

lkwdgirl

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:46 pm
Do non frum people ask someone “where are you holding” when someone is either traveling or you want to know where they are? I think not. I’ve heard many times and don’t get it “I have bar mitzva this .....” what happened the a or the?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:47 pm
“In the mood of” instead of “in the mood for”.
So guilty of the first and once I learned my mistake, switched over- and “mood for” STILL feels so wrong to me!

Odelyah

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:49 pm
nursing clean wins Wink

FTR "putting up" as in putting up a cholent is English. You can put up a pot of soup. As is juxtaposition. Not only in Artscroll world.

lots of these are misapplied translations from the Yiddish (the most famous is staying by, eating by, etc.)

My friend taught English in Bobov years ago and made it her mission to point out these yiddishisms in their speech and teach them correct English.

I remember her "favorite" one was I have to make my hair Smile she heard that one a lot..

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:56 pm
lilies wrote:
Always thought chalish was hebrew-based.

I don't know Yiddish, but quite a few words are from Hebrew. So there may be a Yiddish word for weak/faint stemming from "chalash". Like broigez comes from shoresh of reish gimmel zayin for anger.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:24 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Juxtaposition /juxtaposed
Not really slang, but its Artscrollian language, and I don't think you will ever see it outside of the frum world.

Not sure what you mean by this. "Juxtaposition" is a word used extensively outside of Artscroll books.

How about "slinky skirt?" For most people, this conjures up images of some close-fitting s-xy shimmery lurex or satin garment, but it turns out it's just an ordinary knit fabric skirt.

"Robe" in some parts of the frum world means not a bathrobe or long tunic (like a king's royal robe), but any casual knitwear.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:37 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I think that's more an under-35-ism. And it makes me think of cannibals.

I’m in that demographic and think of it as more of a frum thing and lol.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:38 pm
Wow! Living in a mostly chassidish neighborhood in Brooklyn, I don't get to associate with people other than frum Jews, so all I know is what the frum people around me say. Are all these phrases really wrong/odd?
Saying, "I need to fix my hair" instead of "make my hair" would sound so awkward to me.
-house is flying
-gets me nervous
-nerdy (my kids says "yunchy")
-nursing clean
-in the mood of
-{kids} on my head

I do remember when "slinky" skirts became popular and I was confused why they were called slinky.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics