Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help! Wall paint Color turned out green!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:22 pm
Just spent a lot painting the whole house what we carefully selected...a beautiful, airy, cream...except it's turned out to be a beautiful, airy pale green in day light, and yellow in overhead light! What can we do? Will it look different when the blinds are installed filtering the day light (it's a pretty low light house with mostly North and South windows)? Will furniture and pictures make it look better? Should I start budgeting to repaint or is there some way to work with it? I am very artistic and sensitive to this sort of thing, so yes, I know it should be my worst problem, but it really really upsets and disappoints me! Any advice welcome, especially if you had a Similar experience and worked it out. Thank you!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:45 pm
I'm so sorry!

The change in lighting might help, or it might not. Furniture can help minimize the "greenness" of it, but I don't know which colors to choose.

I was told to paint a piece of sheetrock with the chosen color and make sure to try it out in different rooms and at different times of day, because what looks good on the chip might look very different on the wall in real life.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:50 pm
If you havent moved in yet, no furniture in the house yet and you can somehow swing it financially, I would say, repaint.
Paint color is huge, especially if you are sensitive to these things.

Your walls are still straight and clean and its easier to repaint now. No spackling to no fixing. Just a roller and edging. You can take a cheap painter for that.

And def try out the colors in different rooms at different times.

Good luck and congratulations on your new home.

Sogned, someone whos paint color cane out "pink"ish and hates it every day.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 5:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just spent a lot painting the whole house what we carefully selected...a beautiful, airy, cream...except it's turned out to be a beautiful, airy pale green in day light, and yellow in overhead light!

Have you contacted the seller at all? Was it a custom-mixed color that somehow turned out wrong? If so, I'm wondering if they would possibly make amends in some way.

I had something similar - I used Benjamin Moore Ivory White which turns out to have a slight greenish undertone which I hate. Not enough to shell out for repainting but enough to plan on getting input from a professional interior decorator for the next go-round.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 6:03 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
If you havent moved in yet, no furniture in the house yet and you can somehow swing it financially, I would say, repaint.
Paint color is huge, especially if you are sensitive to these things.

Your walls are still straight and clean and its easier to repaint now. No spackling to no fixing. Just a roller and edging. You can take a cheap painter for that.

And def try out the colors in different rooms at different times.

Good luck and congratulations on your new home.

Sogned, someone whos paint color cane out "pink"ish and hates it every day.

Thank you for this wise advice. Does anyone know how to combat green light from windows? I bought some samples of other whites with yellow undertones, as opposed to green or blue, hoping that's what it needs. I'm so scared of paying again and getting green or thick yellow...should I just give up on cream in my low light, green light (tons of trees outside making light appear green) house and go for a darker beige type color? Tzutzie - did installing your blinds and curtains help make your walls look less pinkish at all?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Have you contacted the seller at all? Was it a custom-mixed color that somehow turned out wrong? If so, I'm wondering if they would possibly make amends in some way.

I had something similar - I used Benjamin Moore Ivory White which turns out to have a slight greenish undertone which I hate. Not enough to shell out for repainting but enough to plan on getting input from a professional interior decorator for the next go-round.

Yes, unfortunately. My contractor agreed it was green, and went back to the Sherwin Williams store where the paint was purchased. It was the correct color, just appears greenish yellow on my walls.

Please tell me...did window blinds help with filtering day light and make your paint appear less green??? Did your pictures and furniture make a difference???

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 6:28 pm
Paint companies used to have color consultants. You pay them a fee to come and advise a color, but they deduct it if you buy their brand of paint. We did it and it was fantastic. Is this still a thing?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 6:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did window blinds help with filtering day light and make your paint appear less green??? Did your pictures and furniture make a difference???

I think it looks slightly less green in the daylight, actually, but nothing really changes it. Crying

I'm wondering if there's any type of light bulb that might make a difference.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 6:33 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Paint companies used to have color consultants. You pay them a fee to come and advise a color, but they deduct it if you buy their brand of paint. We did it and it was fantastic. Is this still a thing?

The paint company color consultant gave me the green undertone! Crying I'm glad yours was better.
As I said, next time I will get an interior decorator in.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 7:41 pm
The paint company color consultant gave me the green undertone! Crying I'm glad yours was better.
As I said, next time I will get an interior decorator in.

Wow that's bad. Maybe you have a claim to have it redone if you did not specify you wanted green.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 7:50 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Wow that's bad. Maybe you have a claim to have it redone if you did not specify you wanted green.

Thanks for the sympathy! Think would be very difficult to prove, though. Her word against ours kind of thing. But I can't wait to get my old color back.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:38 pm
I think it looks slightly less green in the daylight, actually, but nothing really changes it. Crying

I'm wondering if there's any type of light bulb that might make a difference.

Different lights will make it better but nothing with remove the undertone. What sort of bulbs do you have now?

Zehava

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:51 pm
This is why I wouldn’t touch paint colors myself without a designer. Such a fickle thing. So hard to predict. Bathrooms and kitchens I choose myself and so far only received compliments. With tiles, counters, cabinets, what you see is what you get. But paint is not a DIY project if you’re going for a specific look.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 8:55 pm
Can you afford to re- paint the main rooms
Or do 1 room at a time
Maybe just the living room and dining room
Like someone here said it’s just a roller and trim no fixing of walls

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 9:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What sort of bulbs do you have now?

I'm using GE Reveal. No particular reason. Do you think there's a preferable choice? TIA.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:19 pm
I had a gray that looked purple-y. When the carpet and furniture went in the purple disappeared bh

flowergirl8

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:20 pm
If you have yellow light now, maybe change to bright white. I did so and it changrd my walls from darker and dim to bright and airy

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:42 pm
Sorry that this happened to u. If misery loves company, you can read through this thread I found when searching for a solution to your problem, https://www.houzz.com/discussi.....fixes

avrahamama

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:49 pm
When we painted we bought samples and paint huge samples all over our walls. Ourbwalls looked like patchwork for a month until we felt comfortable making a decision on the paint color.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 12:50 am
Have you tried adding an accent color that brings out a different tone?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics