Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Should shuls be open Purim? (re: Novel Coronavirus)
1  2  Next

Should shuls be open Purim? (re: Novel Coronavirus)
yes  
 68%  [ 72 ]
no  
 8%  [ 9 ]
morally conflicted  
 7%  [ 8 ]
will wait for health dept to give advice  
 15%  [ 16 ]
something else  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 105

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 9:39 pm
Do you think that shuls should be open Purim or should people stay home and find a neighbor to read the megilla or read it themselves due to coronavirus? Presumably even if you stay home your children will still be at school with people who did not and could ch'v be exposed. Do you think the NYS Health Department will comment on this?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 9:50 pm
The young isreal of newrochelle will open on Sunday
Tonight you can go into the shul and get youre tefillen

trixx

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 9:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you think that shuls should be open Purim or should people stay home and find a neighbor to read the megilla or read it themselves due to coronavirus? Presumably even if you stay home your children will still be at school with people who did not and could ch'v be exposed. Do you think the NYS Health Department will comment on this?

Who's to say your one neighbor isn't the guy who has it?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 9:52 pm
I think that shuls in Italy closed but if an area is not full of cases, it is probably safe to go to shul.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:13 pm
interesting point to consider

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:15 pm
And all this before thinking about shalach manos.

soap suds

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:19 pm
Why specifically Purim? What about today and tomorrow?

mamma llama

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:21 pm
If someone is feeling sick, he should be mature enough to stay home.
There's no reason that all the healthy people should lose out on the mitzvah of hearing the megillah.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:41 pm
The concern is that people can be contagious without being sick. There is a long incubation period, and many people get a very mild case. They can easily pass it on to the more vulnerable without knowing it.

My take?

Shuls should 100% be open. If there are people who are avoiding any other type of public gathering or setting, they should not come.

But if you're taking the train to work, shopping in the mall, and going to a concert, shul is no worse.

If you're sick, stay home. (I wish our economy supported this on a regular basis...)

Wash your hands with soap and water regularly, especially before touching your mouth or your food.

Daven.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 10:52 pm
excellent mauve

and of course everyone still needs to hear megilah!

chestnut

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Should everyone also have a seuda in their own homes?
What about daily davening in shul? Shabbos? Simchas?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:35 pm
Oh please.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:35 am
I put something else. We should have Moshiach and be in the Bais Hamikdosh.( Shuls, however, are supposed to be part of the Bais Hamikdosh.)

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:56 am
No, but everyone coming to shul could be required to wear a mask!

Not much good against covid-19, but why not wear a mask on Purim?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 2:09 am
I read that wearing a mask in not helpful re;coronavirus
they ran out of them in my local area
I bought one made out of material that I can bleach on etsy.com

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:35 am
For all those downplaying the risks:

The World Health Organization (WHO) says the novel coronavirus is deadlier than seasonal flu strains. No one has built up immunity to the new virus, said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

He put the death rate for Covid-19 -- the disease caused by the coronavirus -- at around 3.4%, but experts urged caution around this figure.

Ghebreyesus said in a news conference on Tuesday:

“While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity,” Adhanom said in a news conference on Tuesday. “That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease. Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.”

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/l......html

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:39 am
The man from young isreal new Rochelle who has it now his wife daughter who goes to sar has it and son who goes to yu and neighbor has it the shul is closed and a shul with a preschool down the block is closed

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 10:44 am
This is something I've been wondering about for a while.

If I'm still not feeling well by Purim, I'm not sure what to do because I'm still obligated to hear the megillah. I don't have anyone to come and read it to me, and reading it to myself doesn't fulfill the mitzva.

If my landlord is leining at home for his family, I can probably stand just outside his dining room window and follow along. I really hope he does this, because it would be the perfect solution.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 11:06 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
This is something I've been wondering about for a while.

If I'm still not feeling well by Purim, I'm not sure what to do because I'm still obligated to hear the megillah. I don't have anyone to come and read it to me, and reading it to myself doesn't fulfill the mitzva.

If my landlord is leining at home for his family, I can probably stand just outside his dining room window and follow along. I really hope he does this, because it would be the perfect solution.

Just FYI there are people who hold women are not obligated to hear megillah, but the minhag generally they do. I know someone who hasn't heard megilla a few times and her father is a dayan and grandfather is as well. However, that doesnt mean you shouldn't hear. You can probably hear from your landlord and IYH you'll feel better by then.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:38 pm
The lawyer with the Conora virus is in stable condition and improving
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics