Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is there something wrong with my baby? (UPDATE: pg 3)
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:20 am
Short story: His babysitter is kicking him out of the group. He was there for a month. This is the second time it’s happening. The first babysitter lasted a week.

Now for the details...
He’s four months old and goes to a babysitter for approx four hours a day (while I work).

His first babysitter claimed reflux and she can’t handle a fussy infant as it’s not fair to the other babies in the group. He was 2.5 months at the time.

He started with a new babysitter a few weeks later and she says it seems something is bothering his stomach. He’s uncomfortable and fusses a lot.

At home he’s okay. He loves being held and rocked and prefers me in sight. His naps are a bit sporadic. Very short and he wakes up very suddenly, usually shrieking. Like from asleep and quiet to 10 in two seconds.

I mostly breast feed him, but he doesn’t eat longer than 6-7 minutes total. He eats every 3 hours.
He drink 5-6 oz of formula at the babysitter.

He’s on Zantac, don’t see any improvement. (Waiting for authorization from insurance to try something stronger)

What could it be? What else can I try? I’m at my wits end with him....I can’t keep him home, I can’t lose my job Sad

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:24 am
Maybe it’s the formula that’s bothering him.
My baby is almost 3 months old. She was miserable for the first two months. She was then put on Prevacid for reflux. It helped a bit but not enough. She also wasn’t gaining nicely. I switched her to soy formula and Bh she’s a different baby! She’s happy, she smiles and coos!

simba

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:25 am
Its hard to have a fussy baby in a group. Can you find someone to watch him alone in your house. It will cost more but he will get the attention he needs and the babysitter will be available to care for him.

Discuss his issues with your pediatrician.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:30 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Maybe it’s the formula that’s bothering him.
My baby is almost 3 months old. She was miserable for the first two months. She was then put on Prevacid for reflux. It helped a bit but not enough. She also wasn’t gaining nicely. I switched her to soy formula and Bh she’s a different baby! She’s happy, she smiles and coos!

So happy you figured out what was bothering her!
Waiting on insurance for Prevacid.

He switched to Enfamil Gentlease a few weeks ago. It helped but not enough. I actually just started him on similac soy formula today. We’ll see how it goes.
How long after you started the soy formula did you see a difference?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:33 am
simba wrote:
Its hard to have a fussy baby in a group. Can you find someone to watch him alone in your house. It will cost more but he will get the attention he needs and the babysitter will be available to care for him.

Discuss his issues with your pediatrician.

Private Jewish babysitters are hard to come by in my community. Guess that would be my last option.

I really want to get to the bottom of it. Something is bothering him. Question is what.

We are working with his pediatrician. She may send him to see a GI if nothing helps.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:34 am
Is he gaining weight ok? To me it sounds like he eats very little.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:41 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Is he gaining weight ok? To me it sounds like he eats very little.

That’s the crazy part. He’s 16 pounds!

His birth weight was 6 lb 6 oz and he did not gain a lot the first month. But since then he’s been packing on the weight.

When I breast feed him, he only does 3-4 minutes a side. Like as soon as the letdown stops he’s done. I assumed he’s an efficient eater. But this morning, I offered a bottle after nursing (first time I did this) and he drank 2 oz. so I guess he’s still hungry?

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:49 am
I don’t think most babies do well without lots of personal attention. My baby certainly demanded all my attention at that age and would not have been ok in a group. I’m sorry, I know it’s probably expensive to have a nanny

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s the crazy part. He’s 16 pounds!

His birth weight was 6 lb 6 oz and he did not gain a lot the first month. But since then he’s been packing on the weight.

When I breast feed him, he only does 3-4 minutes a side. Like as soon as the letdown stops he’s done. I assumed he’s an efficient eater. But this morning, I offered a bottle after nursing (first time I did this) and he drank 2 oz. so I guess he’s still hungry?

3 minutes per side is normal for a 4 month old. If you think he's still hungry, maybe your milk isn't filling enough?
Btw, similac soy is not completely soy, it has a bit milk in it. If he's allergic to milk, the formula might be bothering him.
My fussy baby was expelled from 3 babysitters and I had to stop working. A babysitter that has afew babies cannot take a baby that she has to be busy with the entire time.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:53 am
Do you maybe have overactive letdown?

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 11:55 am
Most babies don’t have good nap schedules at that age. Sounds normal to me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
3 minutes per side is normal for a 4 month old. If you think he's still hungry, maybe your milk isn't filling enough?
Btw, similac soy is not completely soy, it has a bit milk in it. If he's allergic to milk, the formula might be bothering him.
My fussy baby was expelled from 3 babysitters and I had to stop working. A babysitter that has afew babies cannot take a baby that she has to be busy with the entire time.

Thanks for the info about similac soy. It may be an allergy, his diapers are runny and really dark (sorry tmi). My other babies always had much lighter and “seedy”. But he doesn’t have eczema or any other big allergy symptoms, so we’re not testing for that yet.

He’s my first baby I sent out. BH I was able to keep my first two home with me until age 2/3.

This is probably harder for me than for the babysitter or my little baby. While I’m working, my mom guilt takes me on a wild ride the whole time. I wish I can just be with him!

At what age do “fussy” babies outgrow the stage?

I keep second guessing myself that maybe he just needs his mommy and there’s really nothing bothering or wrong with him.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:07 pm
Zantac can be a sensitive medication. - if not given properly it can be completely ineffective. The two main things with Zantac are to have the dose that exactly matches the baby’s weight (it is often started to low or not increased as the baby gains each ounce) and to give it on an empty stomach, and then wait for it to be absorbed in the stomach before eating.

mfb

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:07 pm
Maybe he’s not getting any hind milk. That’s the milk that is filling and makes the baby less gassy. Try feeding one side each feeding like that he gets the good creamy hind milk. Or try pumping out the letdown and let him eat the rest. It can settle his stomach and make him feel better. The fore milk is more watery and he might be filling up on the wrong thing.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the info about similac soy. It may be an allergy, his diapers are runny and really dark (sorry tmi). My other babies always had much lighter and “seedy”. But he doesn’t have eczema or any other big allergy symptoms, so we’re not testing for that yet.

He’s my first baby I sent out. BH I was able to keep my first two home with me until age 2/3.

This is probably harder for me than for the babysitter or my little baby. While I’m working, my mom guilt takes me on a wild ride the whole time. I wish I can just be with him!

At what age do “fussy” babies outgrow the stage?

I keep second guessing myself that maybe he just needs his mommy and there’s really nothing bothering or wrong with him.

Around six months for my little one

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Zantac can be a sensitive medication. - if not given properly it can be completely ineffective. The two main things with Zantac are to have the dose that exactly matches the baby’s weight (it is often started to low or not increased as the baby gains each ounce) and to give it on an empty stomach, and then wait for it to be absorbed in the stomach before eating.

Can you clarify what you mean. How should the dose match the weight?
I give him 2 ml twice a day. I’m going to try to give it to him before he eats. I usually do it before he naps.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:24 pm
mfb wrote:
Maybe he’s not getting any hind milk. That’s the milk that is filling and makes the baby less gassy. Try feeding one side each feeding like that he gets the good creamy hind milk. Or try pumping out the letdown and let him eat the rest. It can settle his stomach and make him feel better. The fore milk is more watery and he might be filling up on the wrong thing.

Makes sense. I’ll try this as well. What to do with the pumped milk though?

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:25 pm
If he weighs 16 lb at 4 months, I think he’s eating enough. I’m not a doctor but I wouldn’t be concerned that that’s the issue. It’s normal for babies to fuss and want to be held

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:27 pm
Zantac!!??? Are you aware that there was a major recall of zantac????

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug.....idine

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:32 pm
Have you tried giving him mylicon drops before his feedings? It did wonders for my babies.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics