Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is there something wrong with my baby? (UPDATE: pg 3)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raw

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the info about similac soy. It may be an allergy, his diapers are runny and really dark (sorry tmi). My other babies always had much lighter and “seedy”. But he doesn’t have eczema or any other big allergy symptoms, so we’re not testing for that yet.

He’s my first baby I sent out. BH I was able to keep my first two home with me until age 2/3.

This is probably harder for me than for the babysitter or my little baby. While I’m working, my mom guilt takes me on a wild ride the whole time. I wish I can just be with him!

At what age do “fussy” babies outgrow the stage?

I keep second guessing myself that maybe he just needs his mommy and there’s really nothing bothering or wrong with him

Have you discussed this with your pediatrician? It’s a strong possibility. 4 hours is a long time to an infant and he might just need you or a doting caregiver more available.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 12:56 pm
Consistently dark runny diapers is not a great sign. I would definitely test for allergies before using medication for reflux when he has no signs of reflux. One of my kids was extremely allergic to egg while breastfeeding and did not have eczema at all. Biggest symptom was the diapers.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:04 pm
Allergies?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:14 pm
DD had horrible colic, until we got her on Enfamil Lactofree. It's worth a try.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the info about similac soy. It may be an allergy, his diapers are runny and really dark (sorry tmi). My other babies always had much lighter and “seedy”. But he doesn’t have eczema or any other big allergy symptoms, so we’re not testing for that yet.

He’s my first baby I sent out. BH I was able to keep my first two home with me until age 2/3.

This is probably harder for me than for the babysitter or my little baby. While I’m working, my mom guilt takes me on a wild ride the whole time. I wish I can just be with him!

At what age do “fussy” babies outgrow the stage?

I keep second guessing myself that maybe he just needs his mommy and there’s really nothing bothering or wrong with him.

This sounds like an intolerance.akl the symptoms uve been mentioning sound like an intolerance.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:36 pm
I would stop giving the formula and just pump a bottle for the babysitter. For a sensitive baby, formula can really be tough on the system.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:40 pm
Just want to mention, a lot of babies that are sensitive to milk also dont tolerate soy. And if you are nursing, the dairy you eat affects your baby as well.
I am just putting this out there, not making any diagnosis. Maybe your baby has a different issue alltogether...

Last edited by amother on Sat, May 08 2021, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:47 pm
huva wrote:
Just want to mention, a lot of babies that are sensitive to milk also dont tolerate soy. And if you are nursing, the dairy you eat affects your baby as well.
I am just putting this out there, not making any diagnosis. Maybe your baby has a different issue alltogether...

Only if the baby is highly allergic. My baby is allergic to dairy and I'm allowed to have dairy. In fact I was told not to cut it out, but go easy on it. However, there is another food that my baby is highly allergic to and I had to cut that completely out if I wanted to continue to nurse. I wouldn't cut anything out of your diet unless you see an allergist. But first I would see how the baby is without the formula.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:49 pm
My baby was very fussy and wanted to be held all the time. He got better around 3-4 months, but we later found out he had food intolerances, so in retrospect, I think that was probably a cause. He was only breastfed at that age, I ended up eliminating some foods until we figured out what it was. Dairy and soy are actually both common intolerances, so you may need a formula that is free of both.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:51 pm
octopus wrote:
Only if the baby is highly allergic. My baby is allergic to dairy and I'm allowed to have dairy. In fact I was told not to cut it out, but go easy on it. However, there is another food that my baby is highly allergic to and I had to cut that completely out if I wanted to continue to nurse. I wouldn't cut anything out of your diet unless you see an allergist. But first I would see how the baby is without the formula.

Actually, protein intolerances are a little different from allergies--the proteins do travel from mom's milk, so if mom eats dairy, the baby gets those proteins. Definitely see a GI doctor for this kind of issue because it's not easy to figure out.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 1:57 pm
My baby was fussy, doesn’t appear to have any allergies or intolerances and is a happy toddler. I really don’t think op needs to be concerned based on what she wrote

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 2:18 pm
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Going to try implementing a few ideas posted here. And I’ll bring up allergy/intolerances next time I speak with the dr. I have been off heavy dairy since he’s a few weeks old, I notice a difference when I do eat some fettuccine Alfredo or a milkshake. So definitely sensitive to it....

Btw he does have some reflux symptoms. Like arching his back, short feedings, short naps, frequent forceful spitting up etc

Thanks to whoever mentioned the Zantac recall. Looking in to it, seems like it’s only on the tablets though...?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 2:26 pm
Seems like the formula is bothering him.
If he weighs enough and he’s happy at home, please don’t over feed! He’s getting enough!

I’d try some oatmeal cereal in a bottle mixed loosely with water (make the nipple hole bigger) once a day at the sitter instead of formula.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Short story: His babysitter is kicking him out of the group. He was there for a month. This is the second time it’s happening. The first babysitter lasted a week.

Now for the details...
He’s four months old and goes to a babysitter for approx four hours a day (while I work).

His first babysitter claimed reflux and she can’t handle a fussy infant as it’s not fair to the other babies in the group. He was 2.5 months at the time.

He started with a new babysitter a few weeks later and she says it seems something is bothering his stomach. He’s uncomfortable and fusses a lot.

At home he’s okay. He loves being held and rocked and prefers me in sight. His naps are a bit sporadic. Very short and he wakes up very suddenly, usually shrieking. Like from asleep and quiet to 10 in two seconds.

I mostly breast feed him, but he doesn’t eat longer than 6-7 minutes total. He eats every 3 hours.
He drink 5-6 oz of formula at the babysitter.

He’s on Zantac, don’t see any improvement. (Waiting for authorization from insurance to try something stronger)

What could it be? What else can I try? I’m at my wits end with him....I can’t keep him home, I can’t lose my job Sad

You should be asking this to his pediatrician.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 2:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Going to try implementing a few ideas posted here. And I’ll bring up allergy/intolerances next time I speak with the dr. I have been off heavy dairy since he’s a few weeks old, I notice a difference when I do eat some fettuccine Alfredo or a milkshake. So definitely sensitive to it....

Btw he does have some reflux symptoms. Like arching his back, short feedings, short naps, frequent forceful spitting up etc

Thanks to whoever mentioned the Zantac recall. Looking in to it, seems like it’s only on the tablets though...?

My baby had reflux very similar what your describing. I switched his formula to Enfamil prosobee and saw immediate results except for the projectile spitting but BH it didnt bother him

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Zantac!!??? Are you aware that there was a major recall of zantac????

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug.....idine

Only the pill.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 3:29 pm
My baby was similar, including an apparent sensitivity to dairy. Turned out he had a 'hidden' tongue tie causing all the issues. It's hard to diagnose and many pediatricians are not familiar enough with it, which is why it was missed. Once we took care of it properly, he was a new child. He slept better, ate better, and was sooo much happier. He's 1.5 and does not have a dairy allergy at all.

Just to add, this website has very reliable information re tongue ties. Dr. Bobby Ghaheri's website

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 4:28 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
DD had horrible colic, until we got her on Enfamil Lactofree. It's worth a try.

I also ended up on lactofree for my babies. They were sensitive to both milk and soy, so lactofree did the trick. Unfortunately, I don't think they sell it anymore. I recommended this to someone recently but she couldn't find it in any stores or online.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 4:30 pm
anonymrs wrote:
My baby was similar, including an apparent sensitivity to dairy. Turned out he had a 'hidden' tongue tie causing all the issues. It's hard to diagnose and many pediatricians are not familiar enough with it, which is why it was missed. Once we took care of it properly, he was a new child. He slept better, ate better, and was sooo much happier. He's 1.5 and does not have a dairy allergy at all.

Just to add, this website has very reliable information re tongue ties. Dr. Bobby Ghaheri's website

Tongue tie would probably cause the baby not to eat enough, at least this was the case with my baby. So I don't think this is the case with OP's baby, although you never know.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Mar 05 2020, 5:23 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Tongue tie would probably cause the baby not to eat enough, at least this was the case with my baby. So I don't think this is the case with OP's baby, although you never know.

My baby was eating enough and gaining weight, but he was absolutely miserable all the time. The way baby swallows with a tongue tie, can potentially cause a lot of discomfort which makes baby totally miserable.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics