Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Info on traveling to Israel
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:33 am
We are supposed to be heading to Israel for pesach- lots of rumors flying about. How do I find correct information to make a decision about cancelling our trip. 3 of our kids are in Israel for the year. Would need to decide to bring them to USA for pesach so we can all be together...

Zeleze

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:40 am
Web site of the Israeli Health ministy

flmommy

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:40 am
Unfortunately too soon to know.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:41 am
The Ministry of Health has announced (although they have not put it on their website...) that travelers arriving from NY, CA, and WA must go into self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Israel.

If that rule is in effect during/right after Pesach, then if you fly your kids home, they may have to go into isolation upon their return to Israel.

https://govextra.gov.il/minist.....s-en/

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora.....20079
https://www.ynetnews.com/artic.....oplay

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:44 am
DrMom wrote:
The Ministry of Health has announced (although they have not put it on their website...) that currently, travelers arriving from NY, CA, and WA must go into self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Israel.

If that rule still holds by Pesach, if you fly your kids home, they may have to go into isolation upon their return to Israel.

https://govextra.gov.il/minist.....s-en/

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora.....20079
https://www.ynetnews.com/artic.....oplay

Just to clarify: they are considering it. They haven't officially made ita policy. Although, I think its a matter of time

BUT, they did say that non-citzens (ie Americans) would have to have a place to self-isolate and dorms ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. So, there is a large chance that they won't be allowed back into the country at all

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Just to clarify: they are considering it. They haven't officially made ita policy. Although, I think its a matter of time

BUT, they did say that non-citzens (ie Americans) would have to have a place to self-isolate and dorms ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. So, there is a large chance that they won't be allowed back into the country at all

Just curious: If someone is already here and they enact this rule, and this person has no place to self-isolate, will they let him go home to the US?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:51 am
DrMom wrote:
Just curious: If someone is already here and they enact this rule, and this person has no place to self-isolate, will they let him go home to the US?

I don't know about allow. More like forcefully encourage. Like the South Koreans and the Italians and Spanish and all the rest have been sent home.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:54 am
Elfrida wrote:
I don't know about allow. More like forcefully encourage. Like the South Koreans and the Italians and Spanish and all the rest have been sent home.

That's what I assumed -- they'd actively encourage them to get out of town.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:54 am
DrMom wrote:

As far as I understand, Bar Ilan University and at least one yeshiva have set aside quarantine spaces for students who required isolation. However, going forward, that probably won't be allowed.

Non-Israelis who leave for Pesach will probably not be allowed back into the country afterwards unless they can prove that they have an appropriate place to be quarantined for two weeks.

It's not clear what's going to happen with tourists planning to come for Pesach. I think it will be impossible to keep them from large gatherings (shul, chol hamoed concerts, beaches, etc.) and they will pose a real risk to people here.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:00 am
Quote:
It's not clear what's going to happen with tourists planning to come for Pesach. I think it will be impossible to keep them from large gatherings (shul, chol hamoed concerts, beaches, etc.) and they will pose a real risk to people here.

Which might be one of the strongest arguments for closing the borders from around Rosh Chodesh.

Though the economic damage from killing of the Pesach tourist season would be immense. But even if they allow tourists from 'safe' countries, the tourist season will be very weak, so maybe not too much difference.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:35 am
I have some questions about this since

Last edited by amother on Thu, Apr 29 2021, 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:41 am
My understanding is that it matters where you live, not where you get on a plane. There aren't a lot of other places in the US to fly put of to go direct to Israel. I wonder if they are considering NJ to be NY. After all, one of the typical "NY" airports is in NJ. Although I figure if they don't now, they likely will soon.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:47 am
nchr wrote:
I have some questions about this since DH goes for Lag Baomer every year.

1. If Americans from NY will need to be quarentined for two weeks, then what is acceptable quarentine? DH and I are thinking bringing our entire family for two weeks before lag baomer or maybe just him.

2. If you book from philadelphia with a stop in NY, you would not require quarentined, but I'm sure the Israeli's would be aware of this loophole so what are they doing in that regard?

3. Have Israeli lawmakers shut down large gatherings?

In addition, just out of curiosity's sake. Since many epidemiologists predict that in the next two years 40 to 70% of the World population will have gotten the virus, will Israel be amending the law to allow individuals who can demonstrate immunity (either via vaccination or via serological testing) to not be quarentined? That would allow people like this Manhattan attorney and his family to go for Pesach.

An apartment or a house and you cannot leave for 2 weeks.

I don't understand why anyone would do that if they don't live here.
What's the point of going somewhere are staying indoors for 2 weeks?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
An apartment or a house and you cannot leave for 2 weeks.

I don't understand why anyone would do that if they don't live here.
What's the point of going somewhere are staying indoors for 2 weeks?

Being able to be there for Lag Baomer in Meron...

Last edited by amother on Thu, Apr 29 2021, 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:49 am
Because E”Y is the safest holiest place on earth.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:04 am
Quote:
If Americans from NY will need to be quarentined for two weeks, then what is acceptable quarentine? DH and I are thinking bringing our entire family for two weeks before lag baomer or maybe just him. 

Acceptable quarantine seems to be a private apartment, in which the person can stay for two weeks. A hotel room would probably not be suitable. He needs to have the ability to have food and other basic supplies delivered to the house. If you ha e friends or family who have a private room a d bathroom that they could give him for two weeks, that would probably be more acceptable to the authorities than a rented apartment.

Quote:
. If you book from philadelphia with a stop in NY, you would not require quarentined, but I'm sure the Israeli's would be aware of this loophole so what are they doing in that regard? 

At the moment America does not require quarantine. If the authorities decide that it does, I doubt they will distinguish between different states - for precisely the reason you mention.

Quote:
. Have Israeli lawmakers shut down large gatherings? 

Any gathering over 5000 people has been banned. This is relatively easy to apply to formal events where one requires a ticket to get in, like football matches and concerts. Smaller events are not banned at this stage, but are being strongly discouraged.
It's hard to see how they would stop events like Lag ba'Omer in Meron, because there is very little formal arrangement. People just show up. If the current situation continues, they are likely to discuss it with Rabbanim, and ask them to discourage people from coming. Some won't go, but others will decide that Rabi Shimon will protect them, and enjoy defying the authorities.

Anyone who has been anywhere in chutz l'aretz within two weeks is forbidden from attending any gathering of over 100 people. Again, this relies mostly on people taking responsibility for their own actions.

As always - the situation is fluid. What is accurate now may have changed by Pesach, and changed again by Lag ba'Omer. Wait until after Pesach before making plans. If the US is quarantined, he could have trouble finding a flight, anyway.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:08 am
There is a lot of arrangement for lag baomer. It’s become a huge safety and health issue in recent years.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:12 am
Iymnok wrote:
There is a lot of arrangement for lag baomer. It’s become a huge safety and health issue in recent years.

You're right. But I meant that anyone can just get on a bus and go. There is no tickets, or prearranged entry. There arrangements are more about how to manage the crowds than how to control or limit who is there.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:16 am
I have heard this second hand but some yeshivos in Israel seem to be saying that if a student goes home to America for pesach they cannot come back for the rest of the year.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:30 am
Quote:
DH and I are thinking bringing our entire family for two weeks before lag baomer or maybe just him. 

How many is your entire family? The thought if having eight people shut into a small apartment for two weeks could turn into a nightmare. Especially if you want to come out of it both sane and still talking to each other. Make sure to bring plenty of books and games and other forms of amusement.

I think the authorities right now are very occupied cancelling Purim events, and trying to make plans for Pesach. Cancelling Birkat Cohanim, since it attracts large crowds, but is in the open air. All the other Pesach events.

Once they have Pesach in hand, they have to figure out what do about all the remembrance ceremonies and events for Yom HaAtzma'ut.

Then they can start worrying about Lag ba'Omer.

And then the crowds who come to the Kotel on Shavu'ot.

I'm not saying it is all linear, but I doubt that Lag ba'Omer is a priority yet.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics