Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Immunocompromised people’s life/ health don’t count?????????
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:06 pm
I just don’t get it.
(Referencing posts from different threads)

Thanks for making me feel like my kids life doesn’t matter “cuz she’s sick anyway “

Vent over

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just don’t get it.

Thanks for making me feel like my kids life doesn’t matter “cuz she’s sick anyway “

Vent over

And my mother. She is on chemo
I'm petrified
It's not like she can stay at home she has to go to the hospital for treatment.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:12 pm
my dad has cancer and is doing chemotherapy he is 91 years old
in nyc 105 confirmend cases
82 in westchster mostly from one lawyer a member of young isreal of new rochelle
2 rockland caught it from the lawyer who went to a barmitzvah at the young isreal of new rochelle
who were waiters
5 in nassau
1 suffolk etc

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:17 pm
Someone mentioned that it's not a big deal because only hits the elderly heavily. Um, does that person not have a grandparent? Honestly, everyone would benefit from taking an ethics class in high school, even frum Jewish individuals who are supposed to be learning ethics anyways.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:21 pm
I think it's just a coping tactic rather than coming from a bad place - ie. they can then tell themselves 'this doesn't apply to me so no need to worry'.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:25 pm
Of course they count but the spreading of the virus cant be prevented so I think they should just give up. THe whole thing is so ridiculous.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:25 pm
nchr wrote:
Someone mentioned that it's not a big deal because only hits the elderly heavily. Um, does that person not have a grandparent? Honestly, everyone would benefit from taking an ethics class in high school, even frum Jewish individuals who are supposed to be learning ethics anyways.

I suspect you are deliberately taking that person's words out of context.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:28 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

You SUSPECT? Did you read the threads this is referencing? She's 100% right.

It's human nature to feel good that you are not personally in danger but this is a public forum, at least pretend to care about others.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:28 pm
People want to be believe it won’t hurt them personally. They’re also trying to alleviate their fears of it being an extraordinarily dangerous virus, as opposed to classing it in the same category as other illnesses that are usually not dangerous except for people for whom EVERY illness is dangerous.

I don’t think they’re saying anyone’s life is less important than anyone else’s.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

No.
I have repeadetly mentioned that for the majority of the population this is not life or death, as have medical and municipal officials.
I'm referring to a person, literally who said that it doesn't matter because only old people get really sick or die and then mentioned that's what happened to his father and it's just part of life because "these people can die from a cold too." You must be very sheltered if you haven't been exposed to people who feel that way.
And yes, there should be ethics classes in school. People behave this way all the time - when they speed, when they don't stop at stop signs, when they text and drive, when they cut a line, when they throw measles parties, when they hoard toilet paper, etc.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:31 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
People want to be believe it won’t hurt them personally. They’re also trying to alleviate their fears of it being an extraordinarily dangerous virus, as opposed to classing it in the same category as other illnesses that are usually not dangerous except for people for whom EVERY illness is dangerous.

I don’t think they’re saying anyone’s life is less important than anyone else’s.

The majority of people are probably not, and I agree with the top, but many people really do not care. It's a societal issue though, whereas in countries like Japan, that is not an accepted sentiment.

small bean

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:55 pm
Op it doesnt mean it doesn't count. It means that we are hyping something up when in reality for majority of us won't be effected

It is very scary if any of you on this threads relatives get any virus. Getting the flu can be deadly also. You don't know walking around who is a carrier to the flu. And I'm assuming when someone has a cold and your child is out, you're nervous. I would be. But those who are not immunocompromised are not worried, when the person in front of them sneezes and has no reason to be. Imagine every time people sneezr we would all go into a frenzy.

I believe that no one is making light of death. We are just putting the reality on the ground.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 12:55 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
And my mother. She is on chemo
I'm petrified
It's not like she can stay at home she has to go to the hospital for treatment.

I hear you. My dad is on dialysis and has to go to a dialysis center 3 times a week. And he has very compromised lungs.
Plus I have a DC with RA and respiratory problems.

Zehava

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:00 pm
So if I’m relieved that it barely affects kids does everyone else not count? It’s a coping mechanism. We’re wired to want to survive. It’s not like we’re actually killing anyone by saying this.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:11 pm
I take biologics which makes me immunocompromised and im on a large fb group with others and like what are we supposed to do. Stop taking our meds? You gotta live life anyways. Btw ironically I feel fit as a horse even though I currently have no immune system lol.

Laiya

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:12 pm
nchr wrote:

Ethics classes don't have a meaningful impact on behavior, and often, their curriculum does not follow a fully Torahdik hashkafah. Middos training, though, should always be a priority.

Laiya

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 1:15 pm
nchr wrote:
The majority of people are probably not, and I agree with the top, but many people really do not care. It's a societal issue though, whereas in countries like Japan, that is not an accepted sentiment.

Idk about Japan, but S. Korea threw a fit when Israel said it wouldn't allow in S. Korean tourists 2 weeks ago after the first cases there were tied to S. Korean tourists. That didn't strike me as very considerate.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 2:12 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I take biologics which makes me immunocompromised and im on a large fb group with others and like what are we supposed to do. Stop taking our meds? You gotta live life anyways. Btw ironically I feel fit as a horse even though I currently have no immune system lol.

My teenage son is on biologics - what am I supposed to do? I can't keep him locked up in our house for the indefinite future. He knows he has to be vigilant with his hand washing but I am very worried

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 2:15 pm
Laiya wrote:
Ethics classes don't have a meaningful impact on behavior, and often, their curriculum does not follow a fully Torahdik hashkafah. Middos training, though, should always be a priority.

Secular ethics is nothing more than its own religion.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 2:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just don’t get it.

Vent over

I completely agree. I’ve heard this attitude several times over the past few weeks. Coronavirus only kills the elderly and the chronicle I’ll so it’s no big deal. Besides the statement being false it’s quite shocking we care about every life and must do our utmost to protect them. Yes, even if able-bodied young people are inconvenienced by these measures they are important to protect the weakest members of society.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics