Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is Corona Affecting Your Parnosa?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:34 am
Just looking for some people to commiserate with... How are you handling this? What field do you work in?

The hardest thing for me right now is having no idea how long it will be for, and the fact that no one knows, so everyone is cancelling last minute, so there is no way to prepare.

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:41 am
I'm a music teacher.

I've already had one private piano student switch to video lessons, and am prepared that others may follow suit. I'm cleaning door handles and piano keys with Clorox wipes several times a day.

And waiting to see if any of the schools I work at will close.

But we are fortunate. We can find a way to work remotely, and this is one time when DH's hoarding tendencies are useful.

I worry about the people I know who live paycheck to paycheck, though. When DH comes home before mincha today, I want to talk to him about increasing our tzedaka giving if we can.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:13 am
DH installs things in ppls homes and businesses. He has so far had to cancel one job because his supplier is out. He is assuming this is going to be happening more. He is now waiting for a huge shipment for a big job he is in the middle of - his supplier can’t guarantee how many will come.

Not only that it’s not like once this is over he’ll get the items right away. His supplier said the sub-parts all the way down the manufacturing line aren’t being produced so it is going to be a slow process.

BH we will be okay for now. It’s just very disconcerting not knowing what jobs can be done next and not being able to finish (or bill) for current jobs.

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:36 am
Yes. To offset anticipated lower sales, our company is forcing employees to take days off at our own expense at a time when I cannot take vacation (where would I travel to?) and the kids are in school and my DH works.

Annoying, but better than firing people.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:59 am
I can't take a test that I need for parnosa. Sets me back 5 months. Bored out of my mind being quarantined.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:02 am
I'm a pediatric nurse. This IS my parnassah, except in this case it looks like children will be spared BH. I wonder if I could be pressed into duty caring for adults if the need arises. It hasn't hit my area yet.

Six months ago I attended an infectious disease conference on this topic. What would you do if a pandemic broke out and there was high risk that you would catch it yourself? Seemed hypothetical then! But it's a good thing there are people whose job it is to think about these eventualities and prepare for them. We really should listen to their guidance!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:03 am
DH owns a software company.
One of his employees was exposed but came to work yesterday before he found out, so DH just scrubbed down the office with bleach wipes and sent everyone home for the rest of the week. Office is closed tomorrow anyway.
Will reevaluate after Purim. The employee who was exposed is quarantined and working from home now for 2 weeks. Dh will have to decide about everyone else.
The other employees are actually not worried so at least we dont have a bunch of hysterical people on our hands.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:14 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I'm a pediatric nurse. This IS my parnassah, except in this case it looks like children will be spared BH. I wonder if I could be pressed into duty caring for adults if the need arises. It hasn't hit my area yet.

Six months ago I attended an infectious disease conference on this topic. What would you do if a pandemic broke out and there was high risk that you would catch it yourself? Seemed hypothetical then! But it's a good thing there are people whose job it is to think about these eventualities and prepare for them. We really should listen to their guidance!

The list of medical providers who were exposed to patients without wearing proper protective gear and therefore are mandated to self quarantine is growing.
Are they getting paid for that time they cannot work?
Not necessarily.
So healthcare providers, even though this is their industry, are still being impacted.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 7:51 am
A cardiologist and health care work
Era who worked at Lawrence hospital caught it from the lawyer in new Rochelle
The rabbi fink and his wife and thirty members of young isreal of newrochelle two waiters from Rockland

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 9:32 am
I do light housekeeping, baby care, and nanny work. I've been sick for almost 2 weeks, and out of work. There is a very good chance that when I get better IYH, my employers will have replaced me and I'll have to start looking for work all over again.

Aside from a very small amount of money from Bituach Leumi, this was my only other source of income. With work, I could just barely cover my monthly expenses. I have NO IDEA how I am going to recover financially.

I wish I knew how much longer I will feel sick, and how long I need to wait until I can go back to work, but there is just no way of telling. If whatever it is that I have now turns into bronchitis or pneumonia, I'm in deep trouble.

I've had that happen to me before, so I'm not being dramatic. Several years ago, I got the flu, and then secondary bacterial infections, and ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics for three days. All in all, I was sick as a dog for 8 months straight.

I was told that once you have pneumonia, you are more likely to get it again. Not sure if that's true or not, but I don't want to test the theory.

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 9:40 am
DH just started as a tour guide. This new career was supposed to be our way up, of not having to live month to month, and maybe even a path to owning our own house in the future. He's had great interviews with three companies, and all of them took him on... But there aren't enough tourists, so they don't need him for that many tours. Once in a blue moon. Thank G-d we have security work as our backup, but it's a little disheartening to see our castles dissipate in the air. And it's not because he's not skilled, nor because no one wants him -- rather because no one is allowed to visit Israel anymore. It's a very helpless feeling.

For so many reasons, I hope this coronavirus is eradicated soon, but this one is definitely one of them.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 9:51 am
all my pasnosa is selling tee shirts at fairs im afraid large gatherings wont happen anymore
rockland now has four cases
more cases in westchster all the scarsdale schools are closed

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:00 am
So far no effect. People are still building and remodeling homes. I called a stock cabinet company this morning that uses some Chinese components. The account rep said that up to this point the company has not had supply problems — but I'm the 6th designer/dealer to call and ask.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:01 am
My husband sells disposable wipes meant for any lens be it eyeglasses, phones etc.
We were surprised to see how much sales went up since the Virus.
But it does seem like a good idea to keep wiping down phones.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 10:42 am
Saw this posted on a local group

Supporting Small Businesses
The City will provide relief for small businesses across the City seeing a reduction in revenue because of COVID-19. Businesses with fewer than 100 employees who have seen sales decreases of 25% or more will be eligible for zero interest loans of up to $75,000 to help mitigate losses in profit. The City is also offering small businesses with fewer than 5 employees a grant to cover 40% of payroll costs for two months (an average of $6,000) to help retain employees. Eligible owners who would like to learn more about these programs should call 311 for assistance.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:18 am
My husband is a travel agent.
Hardly anyone is booking tickets.
And many people are changing or canceling their flights.
We look at it as a test in emunah and we’re optimistic that this too shall pass iyh.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:20 am
Dh is a travel agent
Suddenly his phone is nearly silent. It’s weird. But we need to lay down money for a house and this is an expensive time of year. So it’s definitely worrisome.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:30 am
Yup. My boss is in his 70s, and one coworker has cancer. Boss is thinking it may be time to shut down for good.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:55 am
My husband is an administrator and owner for a nursing home. If, God forbid, anyone comes down with Corona, the nursing home will be barred from accepting patients, and patients that are negative have to be sent to outside care after quarantine period. Employees who are sick are not allowed to come to work, and so now anyone with a cold are staying home.

It's very scary, and a test of faith.

polka dots

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:24 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I do light housekeeping, baby care, and nanny work. I've been sick for almost 2 weeks, and out of work. There is a very good chance that when I get better IYH, my employers will have replaced me and I'll have to start looking for work all over again.

Omg I read your first sentence and thought it said “ I do lighthouse keeping” I’m thinking is there still such a thing today’s days? Are there lighthouses in Israel?? 😂
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics